Add New Disk to Array after PreClear (SOLVED)

luisv

My unRAID server has been operational since August and I just purchase another drive to add to array.  After I ran the PreClear utility on the new drive and it passed all tests successfully, I tried adding it to the array, but it's showing as Unmountable.  See screenshots below.   I assume, I simply click on "Yes I want to do this" and then Format the drive, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing as this is the first time I added a new drive to an existing array. 

59ed47b036c9d_ScreenShot2017-10-22at8_24_09PM.png.a14067cff189f27a70ce33249569df29.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 8.24.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 8.24.32 PM.png

Edited by luisv

If it is a new drive just precleared like you said then just click the "Yes I want to do this" to enable the format button and then press format to format the disk.  Preclear just clears the disk it doesn't add a file system to the disk.  The only thing you want to be careful of is if the unmountable drive really IS the drive you just precleared.  If it is a data drive that had data on it then you DON'T want to format it.

Edited by BobPhoenix

That's what I thought I needed to do and yes, that is the new drive I added.  It's formatted and showing properly as part of the array now; however, it's showing under the Unassigned Devices section, Historical Devices as missing... should I remove the config or is there something else I need to do?

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 9.14.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 9.17.22 PM.png

Edited by luisv
  • luisv changed the title to Add New Disk to Array after PreClear (SOLVED)
  • 2 years later...
51 minutes ago, moralrelativity said:

Does it matter that I didn't format the data drive? Can I do that after the parity sync?

You need to format the new data drive before you can start putting files on it.

when you do that is up to you.   It is possible to format the drive while the parity sync is running and the system will handle it correctly although the format and sync will run slower than normal if both are active at the same time so waiting until the sync finishes is not a bad idea.

• Thanks 1