Cannot alter, create or delete files in folders of share, "You require permission from Unix User\nobody to make changes to this file"

I don't know how long this has been going but I just noticed it today. On one of my shares (the "Stuff" share) I cannot alter, create or delete files or folders in folders (that is files and folders that are not in the root of the share). For example in the root of the share I can create a folder called 'test', or a file called 'test.txt' and then rename or delete them no problem. But if I go into a subfolder (like the Pictures folder) and there try to make, edit or delete a file or folder I get a Windows error message saying "You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from Unix User\nobody to make changes to this file".

I've tried unmounting all my network shares then re-adding them using the user 'nobody' but Windows complains saying "The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different username and password" which is not true since I've disconnected all the shares.

My NAS is running unRAID 6.3.5, my desktop is running Windows 10 and all the shares are set to Public.

I don't know how long this has been going but I just noticed it today. On one of my shares (the "Stuff" share) I cannot alter, create or delete files or folders in folders (that is files and folders that are not in the root of the share). For example in the root of the share I can create a folder called 'test', or a file called 'test.txt' and then rename or delete them no problem. But if I go into a subfolder (like the Pictures folder) and there try to make, edit or delete a file or folder I get a Windows error message saying "You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from Unix User\nobody to make changes to this file".

I've tried unmounting all my network shares then re-adding them using the user 'nobody' but Windows complains saying "The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different username and password" which is not true since I've disconnected all the shares.

My NAS is running unRAID 6.3.5, my desktop is running Windows 10 and all the shares are set to Public.
Simple solution is to install fix common problems and then run tools, docker safe new permissions

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3
  • 1 year later...
On 10/23/2017 at 2:24 PM, UntouchedWagons said:

Oh right tools, yup that worked. I still can't edit files on my tablet but I think I'm using the wrong username. Thanks.

You need to look into why the files had the wrong permissions in the first place to stop the issue occurring again.  Typically this is caused by having a downloader type application installed that is not configured to set permissions correctly.