Need help with Super Micro AOC-SASLP-MV8

khager

I just installed a Super Micro AOC-SASLPMV8 SATA controller (all the SATA ports on my motherboard are full)

I am not able to get to the controller BIOS. What's the trick?

I read that you need to press <ctrl>-m on the screen that lists the drive serial numbers but that didn't do anything (I tried several times). There is no prompt on

any of the boot-up screens that indicate I can enter this BIOS.

But - the card is there and the OS found it. I have 3 (unassigned) drives plugged into it and they appear on the web interface - I'm running preclear on one of them right now. So, obviously the card is there but why can't I get to the BIOS during boot-up?

I'm probably missing something simple - just need a little advice. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Squid said:

Isn't it CTRL M?

It is.

however there may be a setting in the PC Bios that controls whether add-on boards display ROM messages.    Ideally you need the SASLP card displaying the drives it finds connected, as it is after that display that you press CTRL-M to get into the SASLP settings.

10 hours ago, itimpi said:

It is.

however there may be a setting in the PC Bios that controls whether add-on boards display ROM messages.    Ideally you need the SASLP card displaying the drives it finds connected, as it is after that display that you press CTRL-M to get into the SASLP settings.

That's what I was expecting since this is the behavior I have experienced on other machines that had RAID cards in them.

I've tried pressing <ctrl>-M during the boot process but that was ignored.

My motherboard is Super Micro C2SEA (2010 vintage) and I've been through all the settings in its bios but didn't find anything that hinted toward displaying ROM messages.

However, Your post got me to look at the motherboard manual and I found 2 jumpers mentioned that are described as follows:

Jumpers JI2 C1/JI2 C2 allow you to connect PCI/PCI-Exp. Slots to the System Management Bus. The default setting is open to disable the connection.

These 2 jumpers are currently open so I'm wondering if closing those connections will "connect" the RAID card to the "System Management Bus" (I have no idea what that means).

Any thoughts?

Edited by khager
On 10/23/2017 at 7:59 PM, khager said:

I'm wondering if closing those connections will "connect" the RAID card to the "System Management Bus" (I have no idea what that means).

Any thoughts?

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. Right now, I can't access the RAID BIOS and I can't tell the firmware version or if INT 13 is disabled - but it seems to be working okay so I'm a little anxious about messing with a good thing.

Any ideas if trying out these jumpers will cause irreparable harm? 

4 minutes ago, khager said:

The RAID BIOS does not display anything during boot up

That's not what I got from this:

On 10/23/2017 at 3:50 AM, khager said:

I read that you need to press <ctrl>-m on the screen that lists the drive serial numbers but that didn't do anything (I tried several times). There is no prompt on

any of the boot-up screens that indicate I can enter this BIOS.

I understood you saw the drives listed, just that ctrl + m didn't work.

If the bios is not appearing try a different pcie slot and also make sure the option to display other bios is not disable on the board bios.

Ok. I see how my post was confusing.

During boot, only the drives connected to the motherboard are listed (they were always listed even before adding the RAID card). Drives connected to the RAID card are not displayed.

During boot, there is only one indication that a RAID card exists: it is listed as occupying PCIE slot 6.

I don't get any prompts or any other message from the RAID BIOS. Should i?

I have poured over the motherboard BIOS settings and cannot find anything that looks like it would limit the BIOS from a PCIE card from displaying or being interacted with. That's why I brought up the jumpers in the previous post. I'm wondering if those jumpers are preventing this - but I'm a little scared to add them and was asking if anyone could interpret their meaning for me based on what I posted from the motherboard manual.

I've attached 3 pictures of the monitor during boot. Maybe there's something I'm missing. I'll also try another slot.

On a good note, the RAID card seems to be working but I have not brought those drives into the array yet. Only preclear and SMART tests and such. I want to make sure it's working before adding one of the drives on the RAID card to the array.

20171022_192255.jpg

20171022_192253.jpg

20171022_190828.jpg

Make sure you have the following set to yes in the BIOS (taken from the C2SEA/C2SEE MB manual):

PCI Slot 1, 2, 4, 6, 7
Select Yes to enable OPROM for a PCI slot specified. The options are Yes (to enable
OPROM for the slot specified) and No.

This might just be for the PCI slots and not the PCI-e that the SASLP-MV8 uses I don't remember which were which as I haven't used my C2SEA/C2SEE MBs in quite a while.

11 hours ago, BobPhoenix said:

Make sure you have the following set to yes in the BIOS (taken from the C2SEA/C2SEE MB manual):

PCI Slot 1, 2, 4, 6, 7
Select Yes to enable OPROM for a PCI slot specified. The options are Yes (to enable
OPROM for the slot specified) and No.

This might just be for the PCI slots and not the PCI-e that the SASLP-MV8 uses I don't remember which were which as I haven't used my C2SEA/C2SEE MBs in quite a while.

@BobPheonix,

Sorry for the late reply. I just got back home (10:00 p.m. here) and won't be able to look at this tonight but I wanted to say, "Thank you."

That's what was needing. I found what you referenced in the manual (under "PCI/PnP Configuration" - I remember seeing that area in the motherboard BIOS).

I obviously didn't recognize that when I saw it before. I'm a software guy and couldn't tell you the difference between a BIOS, an OPROM, or a DUI. For me to recognize that, it probably would have to be labeled, "Hey - if your RAID card doesn't show up, turn this on." By the way, those slot numbers listed cover both PCI and PCIE slots so apparently that covers both types.

Thanks for the kick in the right direction. I'll try this out when I can and post back here.

On 10/23/2017 at 9:00 AM, itimpi said:

You should see the SASLP bios, if the bios doesn't appear you'll obviously can't enter it also.

See the oprom bios options

@johnnie,

That's what I was thinking - thanks for confirming. "OPROM" - that's what I look for - I didn't know that.

Edited by khager

OK - sorry for the delay but tonight was the first time I was able to work on this.

Those values in the motherboard BIOS were already set to "Yes". I also tried another PCIE slot. I also added the jumpers to the motherboard I referenced (i.e., "connect the PCIE slots to the System Management Bus".

Nothing helped - no change with any combination "Yes" flags, slots, or jumpers.

I cannot access the RAID card BIOS / I don't get any messages on the screen that look like the ones posted by johnnie.black.

Any other suggestions?

Oh well.

At this point I think I'll just wait for my new disks to arrive, preclear on that controller, bring one into the array and see what happens.

I've already prepared a couple old drives and that worked fine but I've decided to wait on the new disks before bringing one into the array.

I'll post back here on that once I have some info.

Edited by khager