Unraid corrupted virtually every Photo job i did in 2016!!! (solved)

Can0n

one more  snag now....

file name has the *** but no space now so its 

***2016-12-01\ Kathy\ M\ (Mocha\ and\ Coda)/

i tried mv  ***2016-12-01\ Kathy\ M\ "(Mocha\ and\ Coda)"/  2016-12-01\ Kathy\ M\ "(Mocha\ and\ Coda)"/

I just get mv: cannot stat '***2016-12-01 Kathy M (Mocha\ and\ Coda)/': No such file or directory

any ideas how i can change that?

19 minutes ago, Can0nfan said:

one more  snag now....

file name has the *** but no space now so its 

***2016-12-01\ Kathy\ M\ (Mocha\ and\ Coda)/

i tried mv  ***2016-12-01\ Kathy\ M\ "(Mocha\ and\ Coda)"/  2016-12-01\ Kathy\ M\ "(Mocha\ and\ Coda)"/

I just get mv: cannot stat '***2016-12-01 Kathy M (Mocha\ and\ Coda)/': No such file or directory

any ideas how i can change that?

I think that the \ may have special meaning to the shell (escaping the next character) when outside quotes.   It would probably work if you put the quotes around the whole of the path rather than just part of it.   You would probably also work if you use forward slashes as Samba tends to treat them as equivalent to back-slashes.

Just now, itimpi said:

I think that the \ may have special meaning to the shell (escaping the next character) when outside quotes.   It would probably work if you put the quotes around the whole of the path rather than just part of it.   You would probably also work if you use forward slashes as Samba tends to treat them as equivalent to back-slashes.

i tried didnt work...

used Krusader to remove the ***2016 so just read 2016 and that worked. I am finding a lot of tiff files missing though but my original Raw files and final Jpg's are all there thank goodness

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

\ is used to specify a space.  If the folder name is My Folder in Linux its /My\ Folder/

Be careful with the "*" characters as that is the wildcard character. A file operation is likely to go far further than expected if these characters are not escaped.

Another thing to be on the lookout for. I had problems in my early days with unRAID and some lengthy path names. Once they got past a certain length, Windows had issues. Maybe this has been fixed in Samba/Windows, but thought I would mention in this thread.

25 minutes ago, trurl said:

I am surprised there haven't been a lot more problems due to the use of '*'. Not only does Windows consider that a wildcard, but so does Linux. I suspect most people would never have even considered trying to use '*' in a file or folder name.

I agree. *, ?, <, >, | are on the big no-no list for me. Followed closely by :, \, and /. I would never use, or even consider using, in a path or file name. Didn't even realize * was even possible.

• Upvote 1

yup works just fine in MacOS

its all migrated but did not preserve any directory/file hierarchy from the previous light room...  () and * are all allowed in MacOS..

so now i have to figure out how 6000+ photos can be organized into the workflow im used to from the old Lightroom.....oh those updates!

well taking every good IT persons advice. I have moved all the photos to an SSD for primary archive and set up rsync to copy them to Unraid for backup. on a daily basis

I will try and get Rclone back onto unraid to sync that with my Amazon drive that in turn should give me plenty of backups.

lost about 102 photos (from various states of edit) out of 6533 so not bad I guess. Life goes on. 

2 hours ago, Can0nfan said:

well taking every good IT persons advice. I have moved all the photos to an SSD for primary archive and set up rsync to copy them to Unraid for backup. on a daily basis

I will try and get Rclone back onto unraid to sync that with my Amazon drive that in turn should give me plenty of backups.

lost about 102 photos (from various states of edit) out of 6533 so not bad I guess. Life goes on. 

"Uhh, what do you think Abduhl? Can you give me a number crunch real quick? "

I’d personally use UnRaid as backup for photos. External drives are cheap and allows you to cover your bases. SSD for current photos and such for speed.

I'm glad I saw this because I use * to start a lot of directory names in OSX to force those to sort on top of the list of names, I still use the list view...

Time to change I guess but never had any issues with UnRaid but then I normally back up my Macs to Image files. I'm also not running Sierra or High Sierra.

Are there any issues using a bullet "•", Option+8 on Mac? I also use those.

On 10/27/2017 at 8:17 AM, Russ Uno said:

I'm glad I saw this because I use * to start a lot of directory names in OSX to force those to sort on top of the list of names, I still use the list view...

Time to change I guess but never had any issues with UnRaid but then I normally back up my Macs to Image files. I'm also not running Sierra or High Sierra.

Are there any issues using a bullet "•", Option+8 on Mac? I also use those.

i haven't tried the bullet but i switched to the underscore "_2017-09-28 Client Name" it still puts them on top.  The underscore is a multiple O/S safe character

• Upvote 1