CPU goes to 100% when trying to pass through graphics card

jackson

Not an issue I've heard before. Did you carefully follow the SpaceInvader One 2 part daily driver / gaming passthrough videos? Sounds like you may have missed a step or two.

Unlike other things technology wise, passthrough largely works or it doesn't. It can be difficult to look at the symptoms of failure and diagnose the root cause, unless it is one of the more common issues which this is not. 

6 hours ago, SSD said:

Not an issue I've heard before. Did you carefully follow the SpaceInvader One 2 part daily driver / gaming passthrough videos? Sounds like you may have missed a step or two.

Unlike other things technology wise, passthrough largely works or it doesn't. It can be difficult to look at the symptoms of failure and diagnose the root cause, unless it is one of the more common issues which this is not. 

Yes, I did closely follow his video guides. I'm beginning to think it's a problem with my MOBO (Asus Z270--A).

Edited by jackson
15 minutes ago, SSD said:

Is your issue happening during the Windows install? (You should install with just one thread of one core assigned to the VM).

Is it the primary video card? (You would need to include the .ROM file in the XML)

It's happening after I've installed Windows. I will try installing with one thread. It is the primary card. Where do I find the .ROM file?

Thanks!

• 2 years later...

Got the same problem here... Just used my whole day getting set up with all my disks, USB card and Graphic card passthrough it all seemed to work really well, and suddenly GPU is going up to 100% usage. 

It's System, Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager that fights for the resources of the Graphics card..

There is no other programs open on my desktop.

GPU Engine said GPU 0 - Copy whatever that should mean. 

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think I found a common cause for these seemingly unrelated VM slowdowns.

Check the log for something along the lines of "kernel: Disabling IRQ #16". If you see it, then it seems like that will cause unRAID (and your VM) to run very slowly. It looks like the cause is related to using your onboard display.