Machine Check Events Error

Fix Common Problems is reporting a Machine Check Events error with the following fix

Your server has detected hardware errors. You should install mcelog via the NerdPack plugin, post your diagnostics and ask for assistance on the unRaid forums. The output of mcelog (if installed) has been logged

I turned on the mcelog in Nerdpack but where do I find the diagnostics file to post?

1 hour ago, darrenyorston said:

Fix Common Problems is reporting a Machine Check Events error with the following fix

Your server has detected hardware errors. You should install mcelog via the NerdPack plugin, post your diagnostics and ask for assistance on the unRaid forums. The output of mcelog (if installed) has been logged

I turned on the mcelog in Nerdpack but where do I find the diagnostics file to post?

This came up for me the other day, here's a post with all the various ways.

I used - http://<Insert IP Address>/log/syslog

Replace the <Insert IP Address> with your respective server.  You can use Tower if that works for you in general.

Edited by Sean M.
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Sean M. said:

This came up for me the other day, here's a post with all the various ways.

I used - http://<Insert IP Address>/log/syslog

Replace the <Insert IP Address> with your respective server.  You can use Tower if that works for you in general.

That is for V5 and we really, really wish you would not use those methods for V6 because V6 provides much more information for us if you give us the Diagnostics (which includes syslogs). If we want just a syslog we will ask for it.

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys,

I also received the message "Your server has detected hardware errors. You should install mcelog via the NerdPack plugin, post your diagnostics and ask for assistance on the unRaid forums. The output of mcelog (if installed) has been logged"

So I upload my diagnostics here. Hopefully someone can help me to troubleshoot. Also in my unraid log I see errors about failure ram. I use ECC ram so it will repare but I need to find the bad modules.

bigmama-diagnostics-20191225-2151.zip

• 2 months later...

Got an alert from FCP plugin...Only error I see is this. 

Mar 15 18:53:28 Rinzler kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
Mar 15 18:53:28 Rinzler kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank 4: f600000000070f0f
Mar 15 18:53:28 Rinzler kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR 419fdc570 
Mar 15 18:53:28 Rinzler kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:610f01 TIME 1584323579 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode 6001119
Mar 15 18:53:28 Rinzler kernel: Performance Events: Fam15h core perfctr, AMD PMU driver.

any help would be awesome.

Thanks 

4 minutes ago, Squid said:

Certain combinations of cpus / motherboards / poltergeists deciding to just hang out issue an MCE when initializing the processor during boot up.  This is what's happening to you, and is normal (assuming the poltergeists weren't involved) and can be safely ignored.

Now I’m wondering why it rebooted and started a parity check. What caused the shutdown!? 

Also, while it's not necessarily your problem, but the utmost in stability in any computer system comes when using matching memory sticks (which you're not).

If you do have to mix and match between manufacturers (which you are), then try and ensure that the CL spec on them match (which yours don't). 

It's not a given, but it is a distinct possibility. 

8 minutes ago, Squid said:

Also, while it's not necessarily your problem, but the utmost in stability in any computer system comes when using matching memory sticks (which you're not).

If you do have to mix and match between manufacturers (which you are), then try and ensure that the CL spec on them match (which yours don't). 

Gotcha. Much of this machine was given to me. I’ll order another stick of the same to replace the one I received with it. 

13 hours ago, Squid said:

Just rebooted at random again. Any thoughts on where I should start to look for what the issues is?

13 hours ago, Squid said:

No thoughts that it might by my HBA?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Aug  5 01:09:44 Tower kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
Aug  5 01:09:44 Tower kernel: EDAC sbridge MC0: HANDLING MCE MEMORY ERROR
Aug  5 01:09:44 Tower kernel: EDAC sbridge MC0: CPU 0: Machine Check Event: 0 Bank 7: 8c00004000010090
Aug  5 01:09:44 Tower kernel: EDAC sbridge MC0: TSC 40a13e7678cb1 
Aug  5 01:09:44 Tower kernel: EDAC sbridge MC0: ADDR f380c8640 
Aug  5 01:09:44 Tower kernel: EDAC sbridge MC0: MISC 1402e0086 
Aug  5 01:09:44 Tower kernel: EDAC sbridge MC0: PROCESSOR 0:306e4 TIME 1596600584 SOCKET 0 APIC 0
Aug  5 01:09:44 Tower kernel: EDAC MC0: 1 CE memory read error on CPU_SrcID#0_Ha#0_Chan#1_DIMM#0 (channel:1 slot:0 page:0xf380c8 offset:0x640 grain:32 syndrome:0x0 -  area:DRAM err_code:0001:0090 socket:0 ha:0 channel_mask:2 rank:1)

Bad memory.  The system event log in the BIOS would hopefully provide a little more insight to which DIMM is starting to go, besides Channel 1, Dimm 0

• 5 months later...