Ability to install GPU Drivers for Hardware Acceleration.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fyi, plex currently only supports integrated intel (officially). 

Nvidia with the proper drivers, works for hardware encode but not decode in plex (silly plex omission in their ffmpeg build)

Dvb had similar issues where unraid kernel had to be compiled with the dvb driver support. A community member stepped up and created a plugin. He is compiling each version of unraid with the dvb drivers and they are available via this dvb plugin.

Something similar can be done for gpu drivers as well.

• 1 month later...

I have HW decoding via my i7 6700K cpu with a thread i found a while back there is some command line stuff then its just a matter of adding in "extra parameters" to my Plex docker app...all shows show HW now when played

cant see why it wouldnt work for nVidia or ATI cards

if i recall correctly the answer is in this post

or this one

15 hours ago, Can0nfan said:

I have HW decoding via my i7 6700K cpu with a thread i found a while back there is some command line stuff then its just a matter of adding in "extra parameters" to my Plex docker app...all shows show HW now when played

cant see why it wouldnt work for nVidia or ATI cards

if i recall correctly the answer is in this post

or this one

Plex uses Intel quick sync, so you need a CPU that supports it. If you have an nvidia gpu also, it might be possible to use the nvidia to encode. 

The info is here https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

+1 here   using a  i7-5960X CPU and would love to get  Nvida quatro card with no trans code limit to offload some of the work. Can be done in a Linux box pretty easy.  should be able to get it in Unraid without to much effort.   (Outside view looking in)

• 2 months later...

+1 here too. IS this it though? Has there been no word if this is something LT might be interested in implementing? I have a few AMD and nVidia GPUs and I would love to be able to offload some of the work. My poor little FX8350 struggles on anything over 1080P if it even works at all. I guess the VM passthrough method would work but I only have 8 physical cores and no HT to work with so that's a bit of a stretch.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 from me as well. Unfortunately I found out about the Intel Quick Sync requirement only after I had setup a server with dual Xeon E5-2680v2s. 20 cores / 40 threads, but if I try to transcode a 50+mbps video, one thread ends up locked at 100% after about 10 seconds and the video never unfreezes. I'm going to try passing through an nvidia card to a windows vm with plex installed there, hopefully that will solve my problems, but I would much rather have nvidia drivers on unRaid directly and continue to use my docker.