Temperature Monitoring

paultn

Hello,   Sorry if this is not the correct place to post this.

I have an old OCZ Agility 3 SSD running as my download drive through unassigned devices plugin.   The drive does not have a temperature sensor on it and always reports 128.   This is triggering temperature warnings constantly from the server.   Is there any way to disable these warnings?   I would prefer to just disable them for this drive but if needed all temperature warnings could be disabled.

55 minutes ago, paultn said:

I have an old OCZ Agility 3 SSD running as my download drive through unassigned devices plugin.   The drive does not have a temperature sensor on it and always reports 128.   This is triggering temperature warnings constantly from the server.   Is there any way to disable these warnings?   I would prefer to just disable them for this drive but if needed all temperature warnings could be disabled.

Can you show me the output of this command?

/usr/sbin/smartctl -A /dev/sdX

Where X is the device designator.

29 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Can you show me the output of this command?

/usr/sbin/smartctl -A /dev/sdX

Where X is the device designator.

image.thumb.png.bf28eb862f5f752e40ef4885fca0eacf.png

As you can see it always says the temp is 128.   I can assure you its not :)  I have no problem ignoring this however the alerts that get generated become irritating after awhile lol.

Edited by paultn
3 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Default temperature thresholds are set under Settings -> Disk Settings.

Setting these to zero will disabled monitoring of all devices (not recommended). Perhaps UD uses these default thresholds?

Thanks I tried setting the Critical temp alert to 129.  This way it won't alert.   However I left the warning as 45.  This way I should still get a warning if something is going wrong but hopefully won't keep getting critical alerts.   

Would be nice to be able to disable it on a per drive basis though.

Edited by paultn
Changed temp to correct temp
20 minutes ago, paultn said:

Thanks I tried setting the Critical temp alert to 129.  This way it won't alert.   However I left the warning as 45.  This way I should still get a warning if something is going wrong but hopefully won't keep getting critical alerts.   

Would be nice to be able to disable it on a per drive basis though.

Nevermind it now triggering the warning instead of the critical :(

15 minutes ago, paultn said:

Nevermind it now triggering the warning instead of the critical :(

Ok so I found a work around.

Settings>Disk settings will set the warning and critical for all disks including those in UD.   So set these to 0 for both Critical and Warning (This disables it).  Now nothing alerts.

Go back to Main Dashboard screen and click the Thumb up icon and can set all the disks to their own threshold.  (UD device won't allow setting so it will use the one set in settings)

I tested this by setting all the disks to a very low temp threshold to test and they all triggered except the UD device. 

This seems to be a good workaround but an easier more intuitive way of doing it would be nice.  (like being able to set the temp threshold just for the UD disk)

Edited by paultn
Spelling

Nice work around, but let me suggest a longer term answer.

- I'll not show a temperature of 128 in UD.  I'll show it as something other than a '*'.  The '*' indicates that the disk is spun down.  Maybe just '-' to show an invalid or unknown temperature?

- I have no control over the disk monitoring giving the alarms.  I would suggest that LT change the background disk temperature monitoring routine to not use a temperature of 128 and ignore checking this out of bounds temperature for alarms.

It may be that this is in @bonienl's wheel house to handle the disk temperature monitoring.

8 hours ago, paultn said:

Update UD and the temperatures should not show as 128 C.  This doesn't solve the monitor alarms, but at least the display is not unrealistic.

I don't know how common it is for the drives today to not have temperature sensors so not sure how much effort is really needed on this.   

My work around is working well for now.   Thank you for the update!!

I find it odd that Unraid is able to count the UD drives towards the license but is not able to adjust monitoring thresholds for them.  Perhaps a later version will address this.   However with such a great piece of software it really is a minor complaint.

Thanks to both of you on your hard work making Unraid the great OS it is.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2020 at 11:38 PM, rojarrolla said:

It is now 2020, has a way to monitor temperature for UD drives ?

Cheers!

I don't think so.

I just ran into a similar issue with my NVMe drive setting off warnings.  Couldn't find a way to disable the warnings so the work around would probably have done it.  However, I was planning to use this drive just for VM's so I stubbed it and now unRAID doesn't see the drive anymore and there are no errors to report.

craigr

On 8/2/2020 at 1:30 AM, craigr said:

I don't think so.

I just ran into a similar issue with my NVMe drive setting off warnings.  Couldn't find a way to disable the warnings so the work around would probably have done it.  However, I was planning to use this drive just for VM's so I stubbed it and now unRAID doesn't see the drive anymore and there are no errors to report.

craigr

Check this video on minute 3:00, the dashboard shows some Unassigned Devices with temperature:

• 1 month later...

I found you could set the defaults and then go into each drive and set the limits on them individually.  Not ideal.

My unassigned device is a NVME drive, that regularly runs at 57 degrees, which would be bad for the spindle drives.  But I don't need to know about it until it jumps over 65 (70 is usually the upper limit).

I'd rather change the one than change the many.  Especially if I forget that I did that later on and melt a spindle HDD.