8700k First Impressions

I tried to make a Ryzen 7 1700x work but could never get GPU PT to work and returned the machine before the window ran up. 

First impressions with 8700k on unRAID 6.3.5 - IT WORKS!

Cinebench results in a Windows 10 VM using all cores was near bare metal as to be expected.  (Max of 1515 on bare metal, Max of 1494 in VM)

These scores are with "Multi Core Enhancement" Enabled but no other overclocking done.

Note: that Windows 10 setup using OVMF Bios left me at the splash screen for an uncomfortably long time but eventually it does work come back and let you install.  Perhaps it's like that on other hardware and I just don't recall the setup.

It's time to move onto pass through: I've got the 3 video cards piled in as well as the IGP which I'll use for the console.  

Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z370XP-SLI.

--SLD

30 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

Why did you choose this board?

The marketing nonsense talks about it being "ultra durable" but really - it was the cheapest board with 3 pcie x16 (physical) slots on the ibuypower deal i was using.  I ended up with 8700k, 8gb RAM, that MB, rx580-8gb, 240gb ssd, 2tb hdd, decent thermaltake case for $1151 shipped.

The cpu, graphics card, mb, ssd, hdd and ram part out to about $1200.  

So build & burn in, led light strip nonsense, mousepad, mechanical keyboard, shipping, etc. for -$50.  

19 hours ago, Zonediver said:

I would prefer the ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 - 8 SATAs and much cheaper ^_^

On the egg they're basically same price.    +2 Sata good but is it "ULTRA DURABLE"?  lolz. 

---

Video pass through worked without issue:

BIOS change to integrated graphics as primary.

ACS override was turned on because two of the cards were in same IOMMU group.

I passed through the AMD RX460 to a separate Windows 10 vms (Seabios).

Still fiddling with the other two video cards to pass through and some usb controllers next but I'm thrilled with how this is going thus far.

Edited by dimes007
  • 3 months later...