How to change USB flash drive during trial period?

kit17

The USB flash drive I am currently using is 16GB and physically large, so I bought a new smaller one with 32GB space.

First, I tried to copy all files and folders from the old one to new one, and boot from it, then I got the warning message "The registered GUID does not match the USB Flash boot device GUID" in the web UI, I understand why this happen.

Then I formatted the new flash drive and make a clean unRAID OS installation, and boot from it and registered a new trial key for it, then I shutdown the system and copy the "config" folder from the old flash drive to the new one, and boot from it again, then I got the warning message "It is not possible to use a Trial key with an existing unRAID OS configuration".

In both cases,  there are no "Register Trial Key" button or "Replace Key" button.

For now, I am still using the old large USB flash drive.

Can anyone suggest how can I switch to an new flash drive without any reconfiguration?

Just now, johnnie.black said:

See my edit, it's easy with a registered flash drive, it's not possible with a trial.

Yes, I understand that.

That's why I started a new trial with the new flash drive, but the problem is I cannot copy the configuration to it.

Just now, kit17 said:

but the problem is I cannot copy the configuration to it.

You can't replace a trial flash drive, that's done on purpose and if you think about it's easy to understand why, each trial license works for 2 months total, it's pretty common to have multiple flash drives laying around, so say you have half a dozen flash drives you could run unRAID for a year without registering.

Replacing a registered flash drive is possible and very easy.

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

You can't replace a trial flash drive, that's done on purpose and if you think about it's easy to understand why, each trial license works for 2 months total, it's pretty common to have multiple flash drives laying around, so say you have half a dozen flash drives you could run unRAID for a year without registering.

Replacing a registered flash drive is possible and very easy.

What if I purchase a licence with the old flash drive?

Then can I transfer the licence and the complete configuration to the new flash drive?

3 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Before you copy over the config folder, make sure that you have a backup copy of your .key file in a safe place!  In fact, I would make a backup copies of BOTH flash drives to another computer just in case.  (That will prevent you from discovering one of Mr. Murphy's Laws!!!) 

I think I could always be able to download the .key file from the link in the email anytime, but that's a good suggestion in case of any network failure.

I scheduled to backup the flash drive daily in the unRAID system, I think that's good enough.

Actually I have already encountered the data loss few times (luckily, most of them are metadata) and learnt how important backup is.

• 1 year later...