How does unraid work with veeam (cache disk question)

Xamber

Hi!

So we're running Veeam as our backup software, and since we've added our 1.2TB cache disk to the unraid system we've noticed that the backup does not complete successfully. We believe that veeam is trying to copy files to the unraid share, but unraid is stopping the filetransfer once the cache disk is full.

Is there any way to check the progress on the mover?
Is it possible to trigger the mover once it's reached a certain % of disk utilization?

Semi OT: (Does anyone know if it's possible to force veeam to create smaller seperated .vib files(instead of one big)?)

Hi Xamber,

What you need to do is edit the share you've created for your Veeam backups and set a Minimum Free Space value.  That value should be the size of the largest single file you expect to write to that share.  So let's say that Veeam backups create multiple individual files that can grow up to 10GB each.  Your minimum free space value should then be slightly larger than that.  What this will do is make it so when there is LESS than that amount available for any given disk participating in the share, it will remove that disk from being eligible to receive the next write operation.  If this value is not set properly, when the cache disk fills up, instead of writing the next file to the array, it keeps trying to write it to the cache and fails midstream because it runs out of space.

All the best,

Jon

• Like 1

Hi Jon,

That makes sense. Our backups varies from time to time. At the moment it tries to take backup and the file grows up to 23TB(When doing a full backup), so if i understand you correctly.

I need to set minimum free space to the size of the cache disk + some GB's in order for it to still use the cache disk during large jobs?
At the moment we need to disable the cache drive when we anticipate a full backup job.

On 11/6/2017 at 2:06 AM, Xamber said:

Hi Jon,

That makes sense. Our backups varies from time to time. At the moment it tries to take backup and the file grows up to 23TB(When doing a full backup), so if i understand you correctly.

Whoa, that's definitely not going to work with unRAID then.  One of unRAID's core principles is that we write individual files to individual disks in the array.  That means that the largest size file an unRAID array can support is that of the largest disk one has in the array.  So if you have an array made up of all 10TB drives, you may have 100's of TBs of free space in the array, but the largest file you'd be able to write to any disk in the array would be about 10TB so long as that disk was empty at the time.

I'm honestly quite surprised to hear that the file isn't broken up into multiple smaller files like a RAR archive or something.  Is there any way to configure that?  It would definitely resolve this limitation.

Hehe, well we've setup a raid in order to get one large drive array so that in total we've got about 56TB disk. So the backup works, as long our backup is running correctly we can utilize the cache disk, but when the full backup is running we need to disable the cache drive..

But i've submitted a feature request on the veeam forum for the file splitting. Hopefully they can make something like that happen.