[Plugin] CA Appdata Backup / Restore v2

Squid

9 minutes ago, KluthR said:

That seems incorrect - could you post your schedule settings from inside the plugin settings page? The current setting says "At every minute past hour 4 on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday."

OMG you are right i'm clearly having a major brain cell malfunction lol I should remove the * and replace it with 00

so it looks like this " 00 4 * * 1,3,5 "

Do you think that is correct?

Edited by IronBeardKnight
3 minutes ago, KluthR said:

Exactly. It should be starting with 0 4, not * 4.

Testing now! It will take a while to run through but i'm sure this is the solution. Thank you so much for your help, I just overlooked it lol I vaguely remember having it set to 00 4 previously but that was many unraid revisions ago probably before backup version 2 came out. 

Ill also try giving your plugin revision a bash over the next couple of weeks :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just removed any PR for my fixes and improvements due to some disorder of my changes built on top of pending changes. I merged now all together and will create a new PR with ALL changes.

New changes as of today:

• Use dynamix DockerClient methods for stopping/starting containers and get rid of the shell_execs.
    • This handles some extra things, which are done inside docker manager
  • Fixed BackupPage: Missing end tags for bold text, which lead to make all following pages bold
  • Copy logfile for backup run to the output directory as well

I created a new plg with all new changes for testing. If anyone want to test, PM me. Ill test it myself a few days and open a new PR.

13 hours ago, KluthR said:

Could you be more specific? I dont really get what you mean.

When I go to the restore data tab, it shows it restoring to:  /mnt/cache/appdata and I can NOT change that location.

But my appdata is located in /mnt/cache_ssd/appdata

* I did do the restore and copied the files over which worked, but it would have been nice to be able to choose where to restore.

hello, I got a weird question. I've been using this plugin for a while now and notice my backup is taking 1h30 for 44gb of uncompressed data.

I've manually started a backup to monitor it and found out the data copy is really slow and I don't understand why.

Currently, I'm backuping appdata that reside on the cache pool and I'm writing to /backup that is part of the cache pool. Cache are 2 nvme enterprise class ssd with very fast read and write. But for an unknown reason, the read is 20 mb/s when doing the backup while the write go way beyond 500mb/s. I've confirmed that everything is on the cache drive while backup is running.

Why is it so slow? While this happen, I seem to have only 1 core out of 28 that's working at 100%. Could that be the issue?

I've tried disabling compression and verify but that didn't change anything.

I'm on unraid 6.9.2

THank you

Hmm weird. How many files are backed up? Maybe millions of small files could decrease backup performance?

it is normal that you see only one core being used - tar does not need more cores. The limit is the disk i/o.

for compression: gz is not multicore cabable. pigz would be.

But disabling compression does not making a difference for you is interesting.

It is many files, but I was looking at the statistic when it was backing influxdb, where my bucket are all overt 1gb (one is 40gb). I took 45 minute to backup influxdb. Then, it came to another file to backup in another folder, 1gb, and it took way less time. Might be something on my influxdb. But I never saw read throughput over 50mbps during the 1h30 backup duration which is weird. 

On 11/10/2022 at 2:12 PM, KluthR said:

Check docker start result and wait 2 seconds between each start/stop operation (because of the: "failed to set IPv6 gateway" issue

Small change here: If a start fails (for whatever reason), the script now tries 3 times to start the container with a delay of 5 secs. If it starts within this time, all is good. If not, an info is sent at the end. With that, I try to work around the observed behaviors. I test it further on my system for some days.

@CS01-HSdid you observed not starting containers again after your initial post?

I was wondering, is it possible to have an include path/files? I have many docker that I only want to backup specific data (game server don't need everything that get downloaded at launch). Right now, I have so much exclusion that the confirm window doesn't fit in my 4k. I could simply exclude the whole folder but include the one I need. 

39 minutes ago, Squid said:

This plugin has now been forked by @KluthR and the original version by myself has been deprecated.

I'd suggest to uninstall my version and then reinstall the fork.

image.png

NOTE:  Some display aberrations *might* appear within the  Apps tab while the original is installed where CA gets confused as to which one is installed.  Just uninstall the original via Installed Apps (or the Plugins tab) and then reinstall appdata backup 

I uninstalled the old, installed the new. Made sure all paths were correct, tried to run a backup and nothing happens when I click the button. Waited several minutes to see if the 60 second timeout on apps was the issue. Uninstalled the new one, installed the old one again, and everything seems to work, backup is running right now. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, please point me in the right direction if someone has.

• Upvote 3
11 minutes ago, RLA113 said:

I uninstalled the old, installed the new. Made sure all paths were correct, tried to run a backup and nothing happens when I click the button. Waited several minutes to see if the 60 second timeout on apps was the issue. Uninstalled the new one, installed the old one again, and everything seems to work, backup is running right now. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, please point me in the right direction if someone has.

Im getting the samething. Clicking backup now on the new version does nothing.

Edited by GrimD
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Squid locked this topic