[Plugin] CA Appdata Backup / Restore v2

Squid

What the…?

[20.12.2022 06:00:50] Stopping unifi-controller... Error while stopping container! Code: Container already started

It states: Container already started? When we stop it? Thats weird.

Are you able to stop the container manually via docker overview?

15 minutes ago, KluthR said:

What the…?

[20.12.2022 06:00:50] Stopping unifi-controller... Error while stopping container! Code: Container already started

It states: Container already started? When we stop it? Thats weird.

Are you able to stop the container manually via docker overview?

Hi, yes just tried it to be sure and it stopped and started. The others that didn't start also all started fine manually.

Cheers,

Tim

On 12/15/2022 at 11:31 AM, KluthR said:

Thanks for the log!

Your case is very interesting. I never saw the counter uses all 3 tries and still fails 😅

The thing: The plugin is telling docker simply „Start container please“, the rest is up to docker.

I would prepare an update which shows more details in case of failure, but it will take a few days, Iam not home rn.

I also have issues sometimes while starting containers within the plugin but with latest version (3 tries) it went away. 

Do you have IPv6 enabled and using for docker containers?

EDIT: Could you provide your unraid diagnostics?

@KluthR

How do I tell if I have IPv6 enabled? I don't see that anywhere so I assume not... under Settings -> Network Settings ->  Network Protocol = IPv4 Only

Please see logs attached for Unraid and let me know if you need more info?

server-unraid-diagnostics-20221220-1735.zip

8 hours ago, Thamer Alfuraiji said:

if it ain't broke

it was. Just hidden. Read the changelog. I dont make useless improvements.

the next fee days I will take a closer look onto all issues. The docker stop/start related still give me headache bit Ill see.

3 hours ago, ultimz said:

Is there a way to reinstall the old plugin?

Yes!

remove the current one and install this plg: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Squidly271/ca.backup2/master/plugins/ca.backup2.plg

(Dont bother the deprecated version warning)

If you feel ready, you can always switch forward again.

Edited by KluthR
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, blaine07 said:

Today I got errors about my backup— pardon my idiocracy but where exactly do I need to check to see what went wrong? Never had backup issues before so this is a new game of hide and seek for me 😩

The backup/restore status tab. Probably errors that were previously suppressed.

19 hours ago, KluthR said:

Yes!

remove the current one and install this plg: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Squidly271/ca.backup2/master/plugins/ca.backup2.plg

(Dont bother the deprecated version warning)

If you feel ready, you can always switch forward again.

Thanks I have installed the old version again. Will keep an eye out here to see when issues have been resolved and install again (but I will be able to test new version if required - just let me know!)

20 hours ago, KluthR said:

it was. Just hidden. Read the changelog. I don't make useless improvements.

the next fee days I will take a closer look onto all issues. The docker stop/start related still give me headache bit Ill see.

Just to clarify I wasn't attacking you personally for taking over this important plugin .. I totally support it and wish you a good luck fixing all the issues you are facing. 

But what annoyed me that I have a perfectly working plugin that I'm now forced ( maybe in the nearest future ) to delete it and install it again while I'm seeing people are facing so many issues with the new one.

I don't know if its better or not but instead of forking it from Squid's why didn't you work on the same one with him? and save us all the Hussle 

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, Thamer Alfuraiji said:

why didn't you work on the same one with him? and save us all the Hussle 

I did. And he asked if I not just copy it and release it myself since he dont have time anymore for it. I agreed to take over the ownership with my dev profile which makes a reinstall mandatory.

41 minutes ago, Thamer Alfuraiji said:

so many issues with the new one.

Currently known issues:

* Cancelling is not working

* If AutoUpdate of docker is active, the plugin outputs „xxx already started“ messages sometimes from docker and treats it like an error currently

Thats all (did I forgot something?)

Some are facing some tar messages „Contents differ“ which I still need to clarify.

But mostly this applies: If you see errors within the new plugin it most likely had the issues before, because I check now results of every docker and tar action which was ignored before.

I create a new thread soon for better tracking.

• Like 1

Hi,

used the old plugin without issues and updated to the new one.

It doesn't create tar files since then:

[22.12.2022 06:29:08] Backing Up
/usr/bin/tar: ./unifi-controller/data/db/diagnostic.data: file changed as we read it
/usr/bin/tar: ./unifi-controller/data/db: file changed as we read it
/usr/bin/tar: ./unifi-controller/run/mongodb-27117.sock: socket ignored
/usr/bin/tar: ./lidarr: file changed as we read it
/usr/bin/tar: ./syslog-ng/syslog-ng.ctl: socket ignored
[22.12.2022 07:12:51] tar creation failed!

disabled tar verifiying. containers are set to "don't stop"

Can I use this tar file nonetheless? Just rename it from "-error" to the usual folder name?

Any thoughts?

Edited by enJOyIT

You set all containers to „dont stop“?

You can use the tar but the error comes from the fact that you backing up files which are still being accessed. A consistent backup requires a temporary container stop

Edited by KluthR
2 hours ago, KluthR said:

You set all containers to „dont stop“?

You can use the tar but the error comes from the fact that you backing up files which are still being accessed. A consistent backup requires a temporary container stop

Yes, I don't care about the files being changed because these are mostly cached files etc... Maybe you can add an option to ignore these errors, so it's possible the foldername will be without "-errors"? 🙂

6 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

Hopefully there is nothing user identifiable?

Pastebin of LOGS

Wow. Many containers 😅

however: which ones are not running? Some are not started because they are already (do you habe auto docker update enabled?) which will be catched next update.

and no: nothing confidential in those logs.

6 minutes ago, KluthR said:

Wow. Many containers 😅

however: which ones are not running? Some are not started because they are already (do you habe auto docker update enabled?) which will be catched next update.

and no: nothing confidential in those logs.

I couldn't even tell you which ones weren't running prior to backup kicking off to be honest. No, I do NOT have docker auto update enabled though. I would say only 10-15 weren't running previous to it kicking off.

Backup starts at like 230AM; its usually done when I get up around 4-5ish. Today at 530(hey I over slept don't judge me) I noticed nothing was running. I finally had to come to backup status tab and "STOP" it because it was still trying to do whatever. You should see me telling it to stop itself towards end of log.

Edited by blaine07

Ive released a small update which fixes the Abort button and accepts the "error" "Container already started" as ok. IN THAT case, the plugin logs two lines of JSON formatted debug information.

I ask all users, having those "Already started" issue: Please post the backup log, including those 2 debug informations.

As said: I dont really understand what is going on - example @blaine07: One container did stopped and while starting, it outputs "Already started" - so, either docker dont telling me the truth about stopping the container initially or something is starting the container in between again. We will see.

Could I ask for a mod so that I can choose containers I want to restore from the restore tab ?

The backup windows allows me to tick any to exclude from the backup.

It would be a great help if I could also tick the same on the restore tab - i.e recently I only wanted to restore one container, but had to set them all back instead.

I know this tool is more for 'disaster' purposes, but with this enhancement, it would save me looking for a manual one by one script I could use - I dont really have the skills to manually perform the restore from your backup file.

• Like 1
  • Squid locked this topic