[Plugin] CA Appdata Backup / Restore v2

Squid

24 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

, I would like to backup every 2 days due to watched status, every day is probably too much due to question 1 but when I select custom range all the pull down selectors dont work? (Day time etc)

IIRC, if you use “custom” you must enter a custom cron entry to set the frequency of the updates.

• 2 weeks later...

Im new to unraid, I have the trial on some old hardware while I got it all sorted / planned out etc.  Got the dockers I want, the VM's I want, and stored my media and backups to it.

It has been in test for the last 20 days and I have moved the emby media serving, tvheadend, sonarr, delugevpn and all VM's to it

Im now ready to move this to my real machine - which is currently a windows 10 PC being used for all the above, reading data from a readynas.

While I move all services to the the temp unraid server, I plan on pulling the 4 x 4TB drives from my current old readyNAS, putting those in the current Windows 10 machine (i7, 32Gb Ram) with its 1TB SSD for cache/vm's/dockers.

I had been busy noting down all my shares, my docker settings and vm settings for a complete re-install/re-configure of it all, but I wonder if I can instead backup/restore the VM's and the dockers and 'port' them to the new server once it is setup ?

So :

Install 4 x 4TB drives and pre-clear in new i7 server

Install 1TB Cache disk in the server

Create Array of the above

Create shares exactly the same name as the other temp system

Sync all the data from the temp unraid server to the new I7 unraid server

Instal all the plugins / dockers the same as the test/temp system

Backup/transfer/restore the dockers/vm's.  *****

My question relates to ***** above - can I use this backup/restore appdata plugin to do this ?  The backups share I created has the folders appdatabackup, libvirtbackup and vmsettings.  Can I copy those to the new server, then do a restore using the same tool on the new server ?

14 hours ago, vw-kombi said:

Backup/transfer/restore the dockers/vm's.  *****

The plugin handles the appdata / flash drive (which has the templates on it for docker containers), so you're good there.

For VM's, it only handles the libvirt image, which basically only has the xml for the VM definition.  You still have to transfer the vdisks manually

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Squid said:

The plugin handles the appdata / flash drive (which has the templates on it for docker containers), so you're good there.

Hi,  Can I get some clarification on this.  This will be to a new server with a new flash drive, new unraid installed with different email address, new drives and drive layout different to the other server - so when you mean 'restors flashdrive', I only want stuff relating to dockers/VM's restores to the flashdrive, nothing that relates to anything else 'unraidy'.

I will be transfering the VM disk images tot he same share name as the source yes.

Edited by vw-kombi
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had the back up  fail to back up while i have rclone cache on. it only adds the folder for the AppData. 

It works perfectly when its just rclone to my gdrive but with the gdrive cache on it creastes the folder for the new day and starts to create the tar but then it seems to get deleted just after the back up is complete so it does not get uploaded.

Any ideas?

Hi there, i get lots of error message email from this addon.

cron for user root /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ca.update.applications/scripts/updateApplications.php >dev/null 2>&1

/bin/sh: dev/null: No such file or directory

should it be /dev/null there to stop these emails?

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

That was fixed along time ago. What's the plugin version?

Sent via Tapatalk because my wife thinks I spend too much time on the computer

CA Backup / Restore Appdata

Part of the CA family, CA Backup / Restore Appdata will either manually or on a schedule, automatically backup your docker appdata for easy restoring in case of a cache drive failure

Andrew Zawadzki2018.07.15 up-to-date

Thats the only info i find what version it is.

CA Backup / Restore Appdata
Part of the CA family, CA Backup / Restore Appdata will either manually or on a schedule, automatically backup your docker appdata for easy restoring in case of a cache drive failure
Andrew Zawadzki2018.07.15 up-to-date

Thats the only info i find what version it is.
The error is from CA auto update. Not backup restore

Just now, Squid said:

The error is from CA auto update. Not backup restore

Sorry :)

CA Auto Update Applications

Part of the CA family, Auto Update Applications will keep your selected plugins and docker applications up to date

Andrew Zawadzki2018.03.02 

10 minutes ago, Squid said:

Try changing the schedule and see what the file generated is (/config/plugins/ca.update.applications/plugin_update.cron) on the flash drive

Seems to have done the trick, now it added the / before dev.

0 0 * * 0 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ca.update.applications/scripts/updateApplications.php >/dev/null 2>&1

Im using this to backup to a deticated share folder on my array. I then setup syncthing on a pi with an external hdd so I could have a 2nd copy of the backups on a different machine. Im very disappointed the performance of this method. If I use the external drive on unraid (im guess as unassigned) how can I go about getting unraid to make a copy of it?

Hi and thanks for the work on this.

I am running mariadb to support my Kodi database and I would like to backup the database.  I want to get it right, so, a few questions:

1. I want to backup /mnt/appdata/mariadb/databases so I have set Appdata Share (source): to /mnt/appdata/mariadb/databases

2. I am concerned about this warning: 

Note: You should specify a backup share (and subfolders) dedicated to that particular backup. It is entirely possible for backups to erase any other files contained within the destinations.

I have a dedicated share for all backups from all my computers called Backup1, which is limited to a specific disk.  Within that share are a bunch of directories with different backup types:

Backup1\

backups\

PC1\

PC2\

Game backups\

Pictures\

etc.  Can I simply make a dedicated folder for this backup?  i.e.:

Destination Share:   Backup1\backups\mariadb

The warning seems to imply that this could write over files/folders at the Backup1 directory  level.

Thanks.

curious on how the flash back up works so i created a flash back up, copied the backed up files to flash drive and booted unraid.
it booted up seemingly ok, just all array drives were unassigned. If you then assign all drives to their proper place and start array, would it operate as expected?

curious on how the flash back up works so i created a flash back up, copied the backed up files to flash drive and booted unraid.
it booted up seemingly ok, just all array drives were unassigned. If you then assign all drives to their proper place and start array, would it operate as expected?
Yes. CA backup deliberately omits backing up the file that has the drive assignments in it, but adds a file called drive assignments for you to be able to read the file and then manually assign the drives.

This is because of a situation where if you change drive assignments in between backups (in particular using the parity swap procedure) then data loss *could* occur

Sent via Tapatalk because my laptop doesn't fit in my pocket

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2018 at 12:10 PM, wgstarks said:

IIRC, if you use “custom” you must enter a custom cron entry to set the frequency of the updates.

Hi, Thanks for your reply but I cannot find anywhere to do this? as soon as you select custom it is not possible to use any pull down box or enter a cron entry?

6 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

Hi, Thanks for your reply but I cannot find anywhere to do this? as soon as you select custom it is not possible to use any pull down box or enter a cron entry?

If you select "custom" and then "apply" you should be able to enter a cron schedule in the field provided. Probably need to select "apply" again.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

If you select "custom" and then "apply" you should be able to enter a cron schedule in the field provided. Probably need to select "apply" again.

Ah, not too intuiative that! Thank you! hopefully this entry will run at 3am every 3 days! ?

image.png.24e484ac995f498a4453f9736dbb0811.png

• Squid locked this topic