[Plugin] CA Appdata Backup / Restore v2

Squid

On 3/11/2020 at 9:37 AM, jbuszkie said:

Is there a way to just backup the flash drive?  The appdata is (supposedly) getting backed up by crash plan.  But The flash drive can no longer via crash plan.

So I'd like to use this to just back up the flash drive (then crash plan will backup the backup).  I don't really want to stop all the dockers every time I want to back up the flash drive?

Bump...

Hi there, I give in, I’m not usually to bad at this sort of thing but this not starting of my Plex docker has me stumped. I can see any error messages anywhere so I’m wondering if I am looking in the wrong place?

If the docker is running fine and gets shutdown by the backup routine and the routine says it is starting the docker, where can I look to find out why it didn’t start? Is there any obvious reasons that have affected others for things not starting. If it gives any clues, I am on The NVidia build of Unraid and my Plex is using NVEnc transcoding. I don’t think the docker has started on its own since installing the NVidia card....

It is annoying because it used to work fine...

Any assistance at all will be gratefully received ha ha

Hi,

I did a restore, but there were folders that were created after the backup and therefore should not exist. What have I done wrong ?

It is about a Nextcloud-Docker
mapping looks like this:
data -> /mnt/user/nextcloud
config->/mnt/user/appdata

Noob question...  I have a pretty simple Unraid setup, 1 massive user share, a couple of dockers.  AppData on cache.

What could be considered standard practice for location of backups?

Was thinking AppData in a backup dir on my user share, and USB on the cache drive? 

1 hour ago, dandirk said:

Was thinking AppData in a backup dir on my user share,

So long as it's not a share that uses the cache drive.  Strictly array only.

1 hour ago, dandirk said:

and USB on the cache drive? 

That's up to you.   When the plugin was introduced, there was no method to backup the flash drive at all (now there is via the GUI albeit a manual process), and maybe soon(tm) another way to do this will happen.  To make life really easy for you on the flash drive, you would back it up to another flash drive you've got mounted via the Unassigned Devices plugin.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Squid said:

So long as it's not a share that uses the cache drive.  Strictly array only.

That's up to you.   When the plugin was introduced, there was no method to backup the flash drive at all (now there is via the GUI albeit a manual process), and maybe soon(tm) another way to do this will happen.  To make life really easy for you on the flash drive, you would back it up to another flash drive you've got mounted via the Unassigned Devices plugin.

Thanks Squid, the secondary flash drive is a good idea.  Yeah cache is only mover and dockers.

Will this plugin also save my container settings? For example, if I backup my plex server I set the container path to match my host path. This is not stored in app data but I believe in the docker.img file. 

I have a problem with my docker image file becoming corrupt (still troubleshooting), and I want to automate rebuilding my docker.img file instead of manually downloading each one and manually changing the container properties.

6 hours ago, Jhp612 said:

Will this plugin also save my container settings? For example, if I backup my plex server I set the container path to match my host path. This is not stored in app data but I believe in the docker.img file. 

I have a problem with my docker image file becoming corrupt (still troubleshooting), and I want to automate rebuilding my docker.img file instead of manually downloading each one and manually changing the container properties.

The settings for a container are not stored in the docker.img file but are stored on the flash drive as an XML template in the CA plugin’s folder.   This template is used if you re-install apps via Apps >> Previous Apps so your settings remain intact.

This makes it very easy to rebuild the docker.img file with all container settings intact.

On 4/7/2020 at 1:52 AM, itimpi said:

The settings for a container are not stored in the docker.img file but are stored on the flash drive as an XML template in the CA plugin’s folder.   This template is used if you re-install apps via Apps >> Previous Apps so your settings remain intact.

This makes it very easy to rebuild the docker.img file with all container settings intact.

Can't seem to find the specific xml file on /boot. Can you give me the full path ? I would like to save off that XML manually  :)

8 minutes ago, dubbly said:

Compression setting.  I notice that enabling compression doesn't really compress my appdata folder. In fact, it is a small amount larger.  Any benefit to enabling compression outside of size?  Should I just keep it set to off?

Not really.  It will take noticeably longer to back up with it enabled.

I am trying to add my Plex/metadata folder to the excluded folders list but I can't add paths with spaces. So as far as I can get is up to 'Application Support'.

I see in a much earlier post that it should allow this. I have tried in chrome, IE, and edge. Have I missed the solution to this? On 6.8.2 and 2019.10.27. Thanks!

2 hours ago, sdcp73 said:

I am trying to add my Plex/metadata folder to the excluded folders list but I can't add paths with spaces. So as far as I can get is up to 'Application Support'.

I see in a much earlier post that it should allow this. I have tried in chrome, IE, and edge. Have I missed the solution to this? On 6.8.2 and 2019.10.27. Thanks!

This is the exact text I have in the "Excluded folders" setting (comma delimited)

/mnt/user/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Metadata,/mnt/user/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache,/mnt/user/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Media

Note that this was typed in to the field, I didn't use the Excluded Folder Browser.

Edited by ConnectivIT
  • Squid locked this topic