[Plugin] CA Appdata Backup / Restore v2

Squid

Is there a way to check in a script if an appdata backup or restore is occuring?  I have another script running that restarts dockers if they aren't running - I just realised I need it to NOT restart dockers, IF the appdata script is running.

Thanks in advance.

9 hours ago, DZMM said:

Is there a way to check in a script if an appdata backup or restore is occuring?  I have another script running that restarts dockers if they aren't running - I just realised I need it to NOT restart dockers, IF the appdata script is running.

Thanks in advance.

If either /tmp/ca.backup2/tempFiles/backupInProgress or /tmp/ca.backup2/tempFiles/restoreInProgress exists then a backup / restore is running

• Like 1

Steps to restore?

My cache drive crashed. I replaced it. Now I want to restore my dockers from backup.

Is there a step-by-step? The wiki didn't make sense to me - please help me understand.

Seems like I should

1) reinstall my dockers from the "Previous apps" page

2) run the restore process using CA Appdata Backup/Restore plugin

3) maybe restart

4) done, right?

That's not what it seemed like the wiki was telling me to do. 

Can someone please point me in the right direction for the order of tasks?

Thanks,

Kyle

From the Appdata Plugin's Restore page

General Procedure On How To Restore Your Appdata

Replace your cache drive if necessary

Recreate your appdata share (and set it to be cache only)

Recreate your docker.img file if necessary (ideally, this should be performed regardless)

Select a backup set (if using dated backup sets) and hit 'Restore'

Sit back and have a coffee

Ideally restart your server

Re-add your previously installed docker applications via CA's Previous Apps section. No adjustment of the templates should be necessary

That's what I read but I was confused by restoring the backup before adding the previously-installed docker apps.

And - how do you "recreate your docker.img file"? I thought that got created when you installed the docker apps (?)

...told you I was confused...

OK - skip the "how do you create docker.img" question. It was already created.

I followed your instructions and, by doing so, I learned a few things. I still don't fully understand what's part of the docker and what's part of the backup.

In any case, I'm up and running so thanks for posting those instructions (again <sheepish>).

Edited by khager
6 minutes ago, khager said:

OK - skip the "how do you create docker.img" question. It was already created.

I followed your instructions and, by doing so, I learned a few things. I still don't fully understand what's part of the docker and what's part of the backup.

In any case, I'm back up and running so thanks for posting those instructions (again).

The docker.img file is created (if not already present) when the docker service starts as something to contain the binaries for apps.  Think of the docker container as being the binary files for an app and the backup contains all the apps working file.    

Got this running now. Is it possible to have it just keep a copy of the flashdrive backup in .zip format instead? 

I like that it's at least ON a disk this way, but having a few copies wouldn't hurt, either. :) Or maybe it's unnecessary and I'm making it overly complicated. 

The plugin works really well for the task but is it intended behavior that only one thread is used for compression? I think on a multicore CPU there could be substantial performance improvements if more cores are used for this task. 

If there is no better method available on Unraid by default, maybe make it optional if a better compression program is detected (e.g. pigz installed via NerdPack)? 

I think anyone can profit from this as multi-core CPUs are the norm nowadays.

compression_load.png

3 hours ago, Squid said:

It uses the built-in tar.   IIRC, installing pigz via NerdPack causes compatibility problems...

Compatibility problems specifically with CA Backup or with the tar on Unraid? Shouldn't it be as easy as to replace the -z flag of tar with -I pigz when pigz is installed?

Also if pigz doesn't work, wouldn't a other compression that supports multicore (like pbzip2) possible?

Edited by Thx And Bye

Want to say thanks again for CA Backup / Restore Appdata as it just saved me a lot of time.  I changed the location of my appdata folder to a different hard drive and forgot one setting in PLEX and lost my whole config last night.  Thankfully I slept on it and remembered, "hey, I have a backup."

This app just saved me a few hours and it has saved me a few hours a few other times too ;)

Thank you,

craigr

• Like 2

Is there a way to troubleshoot why the backups aren't getting automatically executed? I have the plugin configured to backup everything on Sunday morning at 3am, but nothing appears to be happening during that time. I get no backup files in the defined backup locations or anything.

I also tried a manual backup and it says it completed successfully, but still nothing is generated in any of the defined locations (appdata, vm or usbflash).

Edited by amiskell
24 minutes ago, Squid said:

The diagnostics don't cover Sundary the 29th.  Post new diagnostics Monday AM

But as I mentioned, not even a manual run appears to be working. It says it completed successfully but there's no backup files generated. I took that diagnostics zip right after attempting a manual run.

I suspect that it is actually running at 3am, but just not generating any output of the backup data.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful plugin.  TY!

Question - with any backup about to proceed, are any out of date .tar backups deleted prior to the commencement of the new backup?

I ask as my (small!) 1TB drive that holds the current .tar would not hold another in progress and would of course run out of disk space and error out.

TY!

Kev.

• Squid locked this topic