[Plugin] CA Appdata Backup / Restore v2

Squid

On 1/11/2021 at 11:36 AM, Gunny said:

The Exclude Folders option does not seem to be working for me.  I'm trying to exclude some subfolders in one of my docker container's appdata area (Plex for reference).  I've tried both absolute paths and relative paths.
Relative:

Plex-Media-Server/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/ ,Plex-Media-Server/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Media/ ,Plex-Media-Server/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Metadata/

Absolute:

/mnt/cache/appdata/Plex-Media-Server/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/ ,/mnt/cache/appdata/Plex-Media-Server/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Media/ ,/mnt/cache/appdata/Plex-Media-Server/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Metadata/

@Squid I think I found the issue, I opened an issue on Github with the line and suggested fix:
https://github.com/Squidly271/ca.backup2/issues/2

I have an uncommon issue and wanted to ask for help.  I run Backup & Restore every day at 3AM.  Works great.

However, I have recently begun using a Docker for Don Melton Video Transcoding scripts on some media to reduce sizes and convert to MP4.  This Docker doesn't run like normal and is initiated by a command line command, but it works fine.  I only utilize 1-2 cores to not overload my small server since the time to transcode doesn't matter to me.

But this is where I keep having the problem.  At 3:00 AM when Backup & Restore runs it stops the Docker and transcode.  In the Advanced Settings I have the "video-transcoding" Docker set to "Don't Stop".  What else can I do to allow the transcoding to continue?

Can we get an option to compress folders individually instead of one giant compressed file?  That would make it much easier to restore individual apps and be easier that a rewrite to allow individual app restoration.

Edit.. Nevermind requested above.

Edited by discojon

my sister had a recent flash drive failure and i learning to get a new flash. as i never had a failure so i new

but i noticed i set folders with the plugiin here  to set the destination  /backup files/appdata

it shows up as not a real folder.. there is no stamp date and in krusader  it shows up folder created by appdata backup was made in 1969  so i curious is flash drive really backed up as there is no type   why is it like that? i just wanna make sure its is really backed up ... if its nothing then no big deal i just curious i just made sure all the unraids i have have the appdata plugin  and backed up  but they all show  no date etc

unraid.PNG

14 hours ago, comet424 said:

my sister had a recent flash drive failure and i learning to get a new flash. as i never had a failure so i new

but i noticed i set folders with the plugiin here  to set the destination  /backup files/appdata

it shows up as not a real folder.. there is no stamp date and in krusader  it shows up folder created by appdata backup was made in 1969  so i curious is flash drive really backed up as there is no type   why is it like that? i just wanna make sure its is really backed up ... if its nothing then no big deal i just curious i just made sure all the unraids i have have the appdata plugin  and backed up  but they all show  no date etc

unraid.PNG

Flash backup does work, but I don't know why you're seeing it like that.  All of my systems show it correctly so my first thought is some sort of corruption somewhere along the line on the array.

The flash backup is ultimately being deprecated, as it predates the GUI's own flash backup system (non-automated), and something else which is soon(tm)

i noticed the Backup of flash i didnt know about  till after i rebooted my sisters unraid where i posted a different thread  for help... but i do like the automatic Flash backup.  i set up Flash backup then set rysnc  to transfer me her 2nd unraid to mine.. so i have copy of her unraid flash and the libirt  etc

as for the blank its and the 69 year is on all my unraids... yesterday i setup appback up on my sisters other unraid  so it seems it automaticlly creates it 69 on everything.. so the pic is just a newly setup Appdata backup

i spoke with unraid.. and they told me a cloud based.. but told them i hope also still can send to one of my Unraid Servers as a cloud based server to send to my few unraids to back it up.. and i mentioned like windows be nice when Unraid pops up with that Fatal USB drive failure like windows does a Windows Dump  be nice  unraid automaticlly dump the usb configs... as a usb backup only as good from the last backup but if u done 100 changes since a backup  u loose all those..... so i hoping it still automatic  that it sends over the network or to the array  and uploads to (cloud)  to my unraid..

since really cloud based means different platforums contacting the same server.. so ur uploading to 1 server in the end.. so hopefully that be to my unraids and even when there is no internet.. if not  the the flash update shouldnt get depreciated...  as i  just got it setup  that least my sisters is rysnc over to mine.. i keep a OpenVPN connection to her house 24/7  even on slow internet connection  but easier to remote administrate her uunraids but thats how i found the Fatal error of the Flash

is there a way to get notification if there is a Fatal USB error to email me?  i have tried 2019 the notification for the email section but it never emailed daily my array status to my hot mail account.. so i gave up on that 

and i wish it would send me a text message  but i think i tried and it didnt work ..

so be nice if there is a USB Fatal error.. id get a text saying  USB Fatal Error do not reboot the unraid just backup flash...

as text be nice

mitch.PNG

Edited by comet424

so i noticed i didnt have the backup appdata for my Backup server..  so i set it up..  createed the folders.. once you hit the Backup Now thats when it messes up the Folder.. must be because its the Flash Drive

so is it possible then 3 possble array corruptions?   but least i gonna make it now that all my unraids will backup the Flash drives to my main Server.. and then to each of my 5 unraids  so i have redundant backups

back1.PNG

back2.PNG

back3.PNG

back4.PNG

back5.PNG

what i wished was the backup of the flash with this app would also  do not on the array so

i could point my 5 Unraids to 1 server on the network.. and then it replicates to 4 other servers

as uploading to the internet cloud style  only works  for internet..

or an option  

where it saves to the Array.. Plus  it saves  to  \\mainserver\backup files\Unraid #4

so it will create on the array a backup  but ontop of it if it can Reach manin Server  it places\Flash into

as the one from Unraid coming out sounds like just works for internet

but id like to see

if Unraid 3 backss up it backs up to

/user/backup files/Flash

/user/backup files/appdata

/user/backup files/libvirt

but it also then same Time would backup to 

\\mainServer\Backupfiles\Unraid Backups\unraid3\Flash

\\mainServer\Backupfiles\Unraid Backups\unraid3\appdata

\\mainServer\Backupfiles\Unraid Backups\unraid3\libvirt

rightr now i starting to do this with rsync and cron .. but be nice  it automanticlly does this as soon as its backuping up  it contacts the main server to back up  if it can reach that computer at the time

just a suggestion

10 hours ago, Alex.b said:

Hello,

What folders may I exclude on Plex to reduce the size of backup ?

At the moment the only folder I back up for Plex is /mnt/user/appdata/PlexMediaServer/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Databases"

That directory contains your library data and watch state / history.. basically the important stuff.  Metadata can be recreated.

I use a user script for this and not the Appdata Backup plugin, but you may be able to simplify things by only excluding the metadata related folders

Very nice app! I use it everyday to backup my Docker data.

BUT there's one thing I want to ask: Would it be possible to implement an option if I want to have a TAR file or not?

With the TAR file we get a big file on every backup that the second backup software (to external drive) want to backup.

If the backup would be just a copy of "appdata" without to tar it afterwards, the other backup software would be able to use dedup to prevent to backup the same data multiple times.

3 hours ago, toasti said:

With the TAR file we get a big file on every backup that the second backup software (to external drive) want to backup.

If the backup would be just a copy of "appdata" without to tar it afterwards, the other backup software would be able to use dedup to prevent to backup the same data multiple times.

I believe that the big problem with copying individual (typically small) files is that it takes MUCH longer than creating a tar file if the files are being copied to the array.

I think that the best compromise suggestion I have seen is to create a separate tar file for each folder under appdata.

On 1/28/2021 at 12:42 PM, itimpi said:

I believe that the big problem with copying individual (typically small) files is that it takes MUCH longer than creating a tar file if the files are being copied to the array.

I think that the best compromise suggestion I have seen is to create a separate tar file for each folder under appdata.

Knowing or believing?

As already described, a TAR file makes it nearly impossible to backup the backup to an external drive if you have not unlimited space on the external hard disk. Why not implementing this as an option?

I would really appreciate it.

On 1/28/2021 at 1:58 PM, f3ger said:

I have the problem that the first docker container does not start after the backup. in the backup status window, however, it says "starting ..."

Does it rely on another Docker container, so that the order that the containers are started can be a problem?  Also, what's happening when you're stopping and starting the container from GUI or command line ("docker container stop/start containername")?

I have a homeassistant container that I'm backing up.  And in the image configuration I've added an RFXtrx433XL as a device, and I'm using the RFXCOM integration to read various 433MHz devices.  But when CA Appdata Backup/Restore starts the containers again after backing them up, the RFXtrx433XL device is not passed correctly to the container.  All the 433MHz entities are "Unavailable".  But after restarting the docker container manually in the web GUI, the entities are back again without a problem.  Any idea why this is happening?

I thought it could have something to do with how the containers are started again after backup.  But can I override that the containers are started again after backup?  If so I can test starting them manually by using a script instead.

On 1/28/2021 at 1:18 AM, toasti said:

BUT there's one thing I want to ask: Would it be possible to implement an option if I want to have a TAR file or not?

A non-tar backup was how this was originally implemented.  Unfortunately, due to the massive amount of overhead imposed by potentially writing hundreds of thousands of files during a backup (or comparing to see what has been changed), it caused a ton of problems.  That option will never return.

You can always implement your own script to accomplish this.

• Squid locked this topic