[Plugin] CA Appdata Backup / Restore v2

Squid

So I did run this and had the flash backup location as an location in Nextcloud, and now I cant move any file in that folder in Nextcloud?

I just copied everything to a new one but still, that shouldnt happen, maybe it was a bad idea to do that.

Edited by Mihle
8 hours ago, Squid said:

You shouldn't use any folder that has (or potentially has) other files in it as per the warnings.  Set up a new folder and add that location to nextcloud

I imagined that was only for the appdata but guess not.

Tried to make a new share for it and put it as external storage, but Nextcloud can not see the the contents of it or sync it to my desktop (because that is what I want and is trying to do)

Hello,

I creats 2 pool Devices  :

• 1 for cache  (SSD)
  • 1 for appdata/domains/etc... (NVME)

The pool who contains appdata and co is name "Apps" and is accessible via /mnt/apps

when i try to backup the whole pool in CA Backup/Restore and have /mnt/apps in Appdata Share (Source):

i get :  "Source cannot be /mnt/user or /mnt/disk"

how can i backup the domains ?

Thanks for the excellent pluggin.

On 1/31/2021 at 10:39 AM, Mihle said:

I imagined that was only for the appdata but guess not.

Tried to make a new share for it and put it as external storage, but Nextcloud can not see the the contents of it or sync it to my desktop (because that is what I want and is trying to do)

I guess I will just leave the idea and have to try remember to back up the flash drive manually now and then, then.

3 hours ago, Mihle said:

I guess I will just leave the idea and have to try remember to back up the flash drive manually now and then, then.

Didn't follow the whole conversation for what you're trying to do but you can run your own user script that backs up the flash drive to a sync folder on the share for nextcloud. 

On 2/2/2021 at 11:59 PM, Energen said:

Didn't follow the whole conversation for what you're trying to do but you can run your own user script that backs up the flash drive to a sync folder on the share for nextcloud. 

Ah, searched and found this one:

EDIT: That way to do flash backup works better than what this plugin does for how I want to use it.

Edited by Mihle

ok problem...

I backed up my old 60GB unassigned device /mnt/disks/device and now want to restore to my new 240GB pool /mnt/docker...

how do I do this? it doesn't seem like I can change the destination from the old disk.

is it adequate to just untar it?

tar -C /mnt/docker -xvf /mnt/user/backup/docker/date/ca_backup.tar

Edited by SimplifyAndAddCoffee

It’s been a while since I used ca backup, and the last time I did it stopped all dockers and vm’s, is that still the case? I’m looking to try and backup my app data and unraid data to my google drive or onedrive, and trying to think of the best way of doing that without stopping all of my containers. Ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

57 minutes ago, karldonteljames said:

It’s been a while since I used ca backup, and the last time I did it stopped all dockers and vm’s, is that still the case? I’m looking to try and backup my app data and unraid data to my google drive or onedrive, and trying to think of the best way of doing that without stopping all of my containers. Ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

There is an option to enable/disable (specific) dockers from stopping.. so I guess you could just prevent them all from stopping.

hi guys and girls!

first of all: thank your for the plugin, really makes things easier

generally love the community

now i have some questions:

in wich order does the backup-task stop and start the docker containers?

the reason for my question:

in the past, i've noticed some strange things happen to nextcloud, if it's connected to a maria-db container. if the maria-db will be stopped before nextcloud, it could happen that after the restart nextcloud runs into a system-error and needs to be reinstalled.

I've had that a couple of times and it cost me nerves and hair..

Is there someone else maybe with this experience?

is there any advice you can give me?

at the moment i've excluded mariadb and nextcloud from backup from beeing shutdown, but if I understand correctly this could lead to more issues and also files which beeing accessed not beeing backuped.

thanks in advance!

d8

On 2/16/2021 at 6:26 AM, karldonteljames said:

Thanks I’ll take another look at it, is it possible to have it backup to google drive, or OneDrive, or would I need to use clone for that? Does it backup in open file format, so i could do an individual file / docker restore?

Everything is in a single tarball

I experience a corruption of my SSD cache drive and after failed attempts to retrieve the data I formatted the drive. I hoped the backup plugin would save me, but it only says "No Backup Sets Found". I used the spaceinvader guide to set it up a while ago and I see the folder with the usb backup does contain data. The appdata backup however has a folder "[email protected]", but it's empty. Does that mean there is no hope and I have no backup? I didn't think about it when I setup the plugin originally since the Spaceinvader guide doesn't motion it so I left it on default, but "Delete backups if they are this many days old" is set to 1. Does that mean it automatically deleted the backup after 24 hours?

Then not quite sure.  Deleting old sets happens after a successful backup.  But, if the appdata share got recreated (reboot to try and see what was going on), and in the interim another backup happened, then basically a blank txz would get created, but that doesn't explain why there's nothing in there.  🤔

• 2 weeks later...

My flashdrive doesn't seem to get backed up, or perhaps I don't understand how it works. Is it just the super.dat.CA_BACKUP file that gets created? It's only 4kb in size...

I have appdata backup schedule weekly on Sundays, but most the files in the backup folder were last modified January 29. 

• Squid locked this topic