[Plugin] CA Appdata Backup / Restore v2

Squid

12 hours ago, Squid said:

Is there a destination set for the Flash backup?

Yes there's a destination set and it's adjacent to the appdata and libvirt backup folders. I should mention the Unraid USB key that was in use when I setup CA B+R (last year), failed the day before the last successful backup. Seems a weird coincidence, but I think the current backup is of the replacement USB key. Perhaps I just need to remove the app and reinstall? I didn't want to do that incase it messed up anything though. 

I noticed above you said the flash backup will be deprecated? Maybe I should be looking for another solution to backup flash if this is the case. If so, any recommendations?

A feature request-

Instead of adding the entire appdata directory to a single .tar, It would be nice to have the option of backing up each top-level folder under appdata as its own .tar.

That way- if I ever say, need to pull a specific file from a specific folder, I don't have to first download the ENTIRE 50+ GB compressed tarball, and extract it.

On 2/18/2021 at 5:45 PM, Squid said:

You can't.  Flash backup was added on a whim, and will been deprecated soon(tm)

I saw you had posted previously that LT would be handling flash backup in 6.9. I have updated to 6.9 but not seeing where to configure this?

Is it possible to just restore just one subdirectory of appdata?  I am having issues with one docker and want to restore.  My backup is a tar file that is 39.4 GB.  Can I extract just the appdate\unifi folder?  If so, how would I do this?

Is it possible to just restore just one subdirectory of appdata?  I am having issues with one docker and want to restore.  My backup is a tar file that is 39.4 GB.  Can I extract just the appdate\unifi folder?  If so, how would I do this?

Yes, using tar from the command line.
Here’s an example:
https://www.linux.org/threads/list-tar-contents-only-first-level-then-subdirectory-extract.10491/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
14 hours ago, wgstarks said:

I saw you had posted previously that LT would be handling flash backup in 6.9. I have updated to 6.9 but not seeing where to configure this?

Soon(tm) - Although this particular Soon(tm) has been happening since Dec 6, 2017

15 hours ago, Squid said:

The syslog shows the command being used on the backup and verify

Hmm, I re-ran another manual backup and it took almost 4 hours to do the backup, I understand that verify will take just as long to check it as well?

What's odd is the entire process (Backup and verify) up until now has taken about 2-3 hours total for everything. I have not added a significant amount of data or anything since last week (backups run on Sundays at 3AM)

Any advice on what I can look into here to make this go faster? 8 hours of downtime is a lot.

EDIT: actually the one thing I did do, is change my cache to the 1MiB partition, since they're Samsung EVO drives and were affected by the excessively high write amounts.

Edited by CorneliousJD

USB Flash Drive backup is now deprecated in favour of one of the features (automatic backup of the flash device) present within the Unraid.net plugin when running on Unraid 6.9+

This feature will not actually get removed, because there are still use cases for it, but no coding improvements etc will ever happen to this feature.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/104018-my-servers-early-access-plugin/

13 hours ago, Squid said:

USB Flash Drive backup is now deprecated in favour of one of the features (automatic backup of the flash device) present within the Unraid.net plugin when running on Unraid 6.9+

This feature will not actually get removed, because there are still use cases for it, but no coding improvements etc will ever happen to this feature.

I would rather automate backups to a local network share rather than unraid.net. I doubt I'll even install the unraid.net plugin as I already have remote access set up to my satisfaction. Disappointed to hear that this plugin's auto-backup for flash will be deprecated in favor of a cloud solution.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, Squid said:

The USB Flash Drive backup lets us keep more control over our backups. Deprecating this in favor of a method that only backups to the cloud is a mistake in my opinion. Would you do the same with appdata if unRaid added an option to backup appdata to their servers? This isn't even accounting for the fact that the backups made by unRaid aren't encrypted currently.

I ask you to please reconsider this stance, maintaining the ability to create controlled backups of flash is important.

Edited by Ryonez
  • Like 4
On 3/13/2021 at 11:52 AM, Squid said:

Keeping it but otherwise classifying it as abandonware is what the concerns are about.

• Like 2

This is a great plugin and everything works perfectly! Recently I turned on the compression and I see that gzip would only use 1 thread to compress files and it takes so long to compress a 40GB ish database file. Any plans for adding multithreaded compression to the plugin or maybe adding zstd option for faster compression speed and better ratio?

Also what would the best way so far to backup sql server 2019 dockers with 200GB+ database files (.mdf and .bak) in appdata folder?  

Edited by aarontry
  • Squid locked this topic