[Plugin] CA Appdata Backup / Restore v2

Squid

In my advanced settings, I have dazzling_panini as an app. The repository says Unknown. I have no idea what app this is or where it came from. Is it a container that another app installed? How do I get CA Appdata Backup to clear out old apps? I tried to clear them out by deleting the docker image and all apps were still there, but then showed they have a repository as Unknown until I reinstalled them all.

did

3 minutes ago, AwesomeAustn said:

In my advanced settings, I have dazzling_panini as an app. The repository says Unknown. I have no idea what app this is or where it came from. Is it a container that another app installed? How do I get CA Appdata Backup to clear out old apps? I tried to clear them out by deleting the docker image and all apps were still there, but then showed they have a repository as Unknown until I reinstalled them all.

Did you look in your appadata folder for that dazzling_panini on your SSD?

3 hours ago, AwesomeAustn said:

That container is one that was created without a name. 

This can sometimes occur when docker containers partially fail when being created, or manually created dockers and name was not specified.

The other alternative is that your system has been compromised and its a mining application (or something otherwise nefarious).

Does CPU usage look excessive ?

3 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

That container is one that was created without a name. 

This can sometimes occur when docker containers partially fail when being created, or manually created dockers and name was not specified.

The other alternative is that your system has been compromised and its a mining application (or something otherwise nefarious).

Does CPU usage look excessive ?

I did install a docker manually on accident while trying to run the initialize command for one. I'll have to figure out how to delete it. Thanks for your answer and reply.

Edit: It doesn't look like it's installed, but still shows up in CA Appdata Backup.

I ran:

docker rm dazzling_panini
Error: No such container: dazzling_panini

docker rmi dazzling_panini
Error: No such image: dazzling_panini

Edited by AwesomeAustn

Hello,

I´ve been using CA Appdata Backup / Restore v2 to backup all Appdata for a number of Dockers, Plex, Sonarr, Krusader, PiHole just to mention some of them.

Backups to a NAS, without any exclusions, backups have taken about up to 2 hours to finish without compression, but after updating to UnRAID 6.9.2 suddenly the backups take about 4-6 hours to finsh (4 hours when excluding Plex Media folder).

Anyone who have seen the same issues or change in backup time?

Anyone who knows where to begin troubleshooting into what is causing the double time to take the backups.

What im i missing in terms of backup if excluding Plex Cache, Media and Metadata folders in order to speed up the backupprocess. If i would need to restore from backup, will i have to set up all the media matching and everything from scratch?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 7:00 AM, AuroraAnea said:

Hello,

I´ve been using CA Appdata Backup / Restore v2 to backup all Appdata for a number of Dockers, Plex, Sonarr, Krusader, PiHole just to mention some of them.

Backups to a NAS, without any exclusions, backups have taken about up to 2 hours to finish without compression, but after updating to UnRAID 6.9.2 suddenly the backups take about 4-6 hours to finsh (4 hours when excluding Plex Media folder).

Anyone who have seen the same issues or change in backup time?

Anyone who knows where to begin troubleshooting into what is causing the double time to take the backups.

What im i missing in terms of backup if excluding Plex Cache, Media and Metadata folders in order to speed up the backupprocess. If i would need to restore from backup, will i have to set up all the media matching and everything from scratch?

I just had the same issue this week taking way too long to backup. Strange is it was working fine last week. I don't have anything excluded or preventing the stopping of the dockers set. Not sure how to just not exclude Plex stuff without doing the entire plex docker. What are the best ways to setup backup on UnRAID? I have about 15 dockers running so do I need to back all them up? Just curious since I see all kinds of different answers on the forum but not one that clearly states what are the best practices to get a good backup of your UnRAID system.

Hi there... I've been running the backup (v2) forever, but I hadn't actually needed to use it until this weekend. I broke a config (for home-assistant, not that I think that matters) and wanted to restore. I had 5 days worth of backups but realised the tar.gz was 90gb.

No matter what I do with these backup files (I had 5 days worth), there is a CRC error. I've copied them to my windows machine, and 7zip gets mad. I've gunzip'd and untarred on the server itself. Always errors. For todays backup, I removed Plex which halved the size. A mere 45gb compressed now. Still errors. I have "Verify backups" set to "yes", and nothing has been reported.

For my next backup, I will not use compression at all and see what happens.

I guess my question is... any idea what could be doing this? Perhaps I'm fundamentally misunderstanding how things work? Maybe one docker directory is doing weird things with filenames or something that's not supported by tar? 

On 6/7/2020 at 11:32 AM, zzgus said:

Any idea why I get this error:

Array Started•Warning: posix_kill() expects parameter 1 to be int, string given in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ca.backup2/scripts/killRsync.php on line 27

Thankyou

Did you ever get an answer to this? I just ran into this same issue when trying to disable the docker service.  

On 3/22/2021 at 6:53 PM, likesboc said:

hi, i'm facing the problem that some dockers do not turn on again after the backup. every monday morning, after my sunday night backup,  i see that "binhex-jacket" and "binhexx-radarr" are turned off. how can i find out what is causing this? thanks!

I'm still facng this issue. What can i do to follow up on this? Every monday morning those docker containers are shutdown although they are excluded through the "excluded folder" option. Any help is appreciated.

Is there any way to do wildcard- and/or path independent exclusions, e.g. `*.tmp, *cache*, .cache, .DS_Store` etc?

Edit: Yes there is. All of the above examples work. Remember that everything is case sensitive though, so e.g. `*xyz*` will match `testxyztest.txt` but not `testXYZtest.txt`.

Edited by KnifeFed

Hi all,

I want to backup the entire Docker container so I can restore everything. I just used the CA backup to backup my paperless-ng docker, then I deleted the paperless-ng docker container with all the data and then did the restore.

Unfortunately the paperless-ng docker container is not there after the restore. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you and Regards,

Luk

14 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Nothing, you just didn't finish the process. Go to the Apps tab, Previous Apps, select the paperless container, and install.

Thank you. Means in case of complete new hardware I have to install the paperless-ng docker 1st, then restore my data, correct?

3 minutes ago, luk said:

Thank you. Means in case of complete new hardware I have to install the paperless-ng docker 1st, then restore my data, correct?

No, you had it right the first time. Restore appdata, then reinstall paperless using your existing template. Templates are stored on your flash drive.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

No, you had it right the first time. Restore appdata, then reinstall paperless using your existing template. Templates are stored on your flash drive.

This is really amazing! I never looked at the "previous apps" :-) Thank you for this important note.

Regards,

Luk

6 hours ago, luk said:

Hi all,

I want to backup the entire Docker container so I can restore everything. I just used the CA backup to backup my paperless-ng docker, then I deleted the paperless-ng docker container with all the data and then did the restore.

Unfortunately the paperless-ng docker container is not there after the restore. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you and Regards,

Luk

Did you go into Apps -> Previous Apps and select the container so that the binaries get re-downloaded into the Docker.img file?   From you description it sounds as if you may have just restored the appdata part and not the binaries?

13 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Did you go into Apps -> Previous Apps and select the container so that the binaries get re-downloaded into the Docker.img file?   From you description it sounds as if you may have just restored the appdata part and not the binaries?

Thank you, yes I missed this steps, finally I'm able to do a full restore :)

Regards,

Luk

Would it be possible to get an option to only stop containers/apps when needed? So instead of it stopping them all when it starts, stop them just before its going to backup that folder then start when its done to reduce downtime.

Also incremental backups would be awesome but likely hard to implement.

Edited by rtm516
  • Squid locked this topic