[Plugin] CA Appdata Backup / Restore v2

Squid

6 hours ago, norp90 said:

As of last night, on 6.10.3, fix common problems is alerting me that:

The plugin ca.backup2.plg is not known to Community Applications and is possibly incompatible with your server.

What's changed and what now?

5 hours ago, CiscoCoreX said:

Same here.

4 hours ago, alexbn71 said:

Me too

2 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Following for the same reason.

In a nutshell, GitHub is a piece of shit.  (If some one can come up with a better term that has all of the same connotations then please let me know)

A change has been now implemented in the application feed to account for it being a P.O.S., and you won't be seeing this kind of stuff again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

Tried searching but can't find the answer I'm looking for. 

Managing a friends server and he has his Plex appdata in a separate pool by itself. Was wondering if CA Backup would grab his Cache and plexCache simultaneously or what is the best way to accomplish this? Can "appdata source" be comma separated for multiple locations?

6 minutes ago, rmeaux said:

Managing a friends server and he has his Plex appdata in a separate pool by itself. Was wondering if CA Backup would grab his Cache and plexCache simultaneously or what is the best way to accomplish this? Can "appdata source" be comma separated for multiple locations?

There is a way to make this work by setting things up with the containers so there is only one appdata user share, but different containers use appdata on different pools.

For example, say you have most containers using appdata on cache, and plex is using appdata on plexpool.

If the other containers specify /mnt/cache/appdata for their appdata, and plex container specifies /mnt/plexpool/appdata for its appdata, then the appdata would be on separate pools, but CA Backup could still get them all with the single path /mnt/user/appdata.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

There is a way to make this work by setting things up with the containers so there is only one appdata user share, but different containers use appdata on different pools.

Yep, this is how I have mine set up...

• An SSD with a cache pool named "Docker"
  • An SSD with a cache pool named "Plex"
  • An "appdata" User share on the Docker pool.  All docker appdata is in here except Plex
  • There is also an "appdata" folder on the Plex drive.  All Plex appdata is in here
  • "/mnt/user/appdata/" as the Appdata Share (Source) in Backup & Restore sees the folders on both Docker and Plex
  • All docker templates point to /mnt/user/appdata/<docker folder>, but I guess they could point to /mnt/docker/appdata (no idea)

Downsides..

• Occasionally, a "PlexMediaServer" folder appears on my docker drive - have to move it to the Plex drive (no problems with service, and happens very rarely)
  • Fix Common Problems plugin issues a warning that appdata files/folders exist on the Plex pool.  I've just ignored that thinking there's currently no way around it (unless there is and I don't know)
3 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

All docker templates point to /mnt/user/appdata/<docker folder>

This doesn't follow the instructions I gave, and would explain why you have those "downsides".

You need each template to specify the path to the exact pool you want its appdata on

16 minutes ago, trurl said:

other containers specify /mnt/cache/appdata for their appdata, and plex container specifies /mnt/plexpool/appdata for its appdata

1 hour ago, trurl said:

This doesn't follow the instructions I gave, and would explain why you have those "downsides".

You need each template to specify the path to the exact pool you want its appdata on

Absolutely, yes. Thought of that as I was typing - apologies.  Fix Common Problems would still warn against a share across multiple pools though, yes?

EDIT: I've now gone and set all dockers to point to /mnt/docker/.appdata...
Turns out I had already pointed Plex to /mnt/plex/appdata, so I'd obviously started at some point.

Also to note, stopped the docker service and set the default docker location to /mnt/docker/appdata

Edited by Cessquill
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 5:33 PM, Cessquill said:

Absolutely, yes. Thought of that as I was typing - apologies.  Fix Common Problems would still warn against a share across multiple pools though, yes?

EDIT: I've now gone and set all dockers to point to /mnt/docker/.appdata...
Turns out I had already pointed Plex to /mnt/plex/appdata, so I'd obviously started at some point.

Also to note, stopped the docker service and set the default docker location to /mnt/docker/appdata

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but what's the benefit of splitting the Plex appdata from the general Appdata folder?

On 9/18/2022 at 3:21 AM, gshlomi said:

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but what's the benefit of splitting the Plex appdata from the general Appdata folder?

For myself and my friend, we generate thumbnails which gets rather large as your library grows. That's the main reason. Plex can have a 1TB pool for itself.

If I exclude my plex app data from my CA Backup I drop from 510Gb to about 27Gb with ~30 dockers. I now exclude three sub folders in my plex app data to basically obtain the same results but it's still in it's own pool now. 

I also moved my nextCloud data folder to the new pool so it's served from a never spun down SSD and somewhat protected with the pool's RAID. I then syncthing my nextCloud folder to my friends server and he does the same to mine for an offsite. (send only/receive only setup)

Edited by rmeaux
  • Thanks 1