[Plugin] CA Appdata Backup / Restore v2

Squid

7 minutes ago, trurl said:

Trying to browse to source and get "Unable to get file tree information"

With latest 2022.12.04?? If you have 2022.12.02, please update, there was an permissions issue.

I just tested it, it works on my side:

grafik.png.af7ff4c937ebc400061b8baf8212538c.png

The FileTree is also not a part of the plugin and should work independently from it.

17 minutes ago, KluthR said:

With latest 2022.12.04?

That is the only version I have ever installed. Was using Squid's before.

Having similar when trying to browse destination.

Sometimes it works to get down into the tree partway. Seems like something is timing out since it will 'spin' for a while before giving up.

Browse tree in other places like docker host paths works fine and immediately.

I am getting the following just Now after updating to the new version:

"Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 84473952 bytes) in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ca.backup2/include/backupExec.php on line 196"  

Anyone know what to do to resolve this?  Thanks

Edited by darkrom
1 hour ago, darkrom said:

I am getting the following just Now after updating to the new version

Please post the line number which is missing on your error report :)

Could you also please open a terminal and run:

ls -lh /var/lib/docker/unraid/ca.backup2.datastore/appdata_backup.log

?

EDIT2. Ahh, I see - the previous version logged every tar output which could grow very large. It also only gave the last x lines of output back. I changed that. The new version displays the whole log. So, if you still have a "old" logfile, it could be very large - too large to load.

Could you please confirm:

• The error message only appears on the Backup status page?
  • A manual (or automatic run) sorts the issue out?

Basically this error message disappears after the first run after the update. Not all users are affected.

Edited by KluthR

Hi - I'm getting errors since changing to the KluthR fork (version 2022.12.04). One error is 'not deleting old backup sets of appdata' (at 12:25:27 in syslog), and the other is several BTRFS errors: csum failed (at 12:24:30 in the syslog). A quick Smart report showed no errors. Any help appreciated - diagnostics attached

tower-diagnostics-20221205-1241.zip

Edited by Steviewunda
15 minutes ago, Steviewunda said:

Hi - I'm getting errors since changing to the KluthR fork. One error is 'not deleting old backup sets of appdata', and the other is several BTRFS errors: csum failed. Any help appreciated - diagnostics attached

tower-diagnostics-20221205-1241.zip 139.03 kB · 1 download

I'm also getting an error regarding failure to delete old archives.

Dec  4 19:02:15 Brunnhilde CA Backup/Restore: A error occured somewhere. Not deleting old backup sets of appdata

Not sure why this is happening. There aren't any old archives to delete.

I also see that the plugin is creating a backup of my flash drive and libvirt.img even though I have not set a destination for those and therefore should be disabled.

3 hours ago, Steviewunda said:

Hi - I'm getting errors since changing to the KluthR fork (version 2022.12.04). One error is 'not deleting old backup sets of appdata' (at 12:25:27 in syslog), and the other is several BTRFS errors: csum failed (at 12:24:30 in the syslog). A quick Smart report showed no errors. Any help appreciated - diagnostics attached

tower-diagnostics-20221205-1241.zip 139.03 kB · 1 download

I reinstalled the plugin, and changed /mnt/cache/appdata to /mnt/user/appdata, and I no longer get 'not deleting' errors. I still get the BTRFS csum failed errors. Do I need to scrub the cache drives?

Hi!
Switched to the new fork, re-entered all config options, enabled "Create separate archives (one per folder)."
It's now ignoring my list of excluded subfolders. Whole apps are still getting excluded, but I have a lot of cache/thumbnails/metadata folders that grow the backups way too big. (This was working before.)

Edited by dedi
8 minutes ago, dedi said:

Hi!
Switched to the new fork, re-entered all config options, enabled "Create separate archives (one per folder)."
It's now ignoring my list of excluded subfolders. Whole apps are still getting excluded, but I have a lot of cache/thumbnails/metadata folders that grow the backups way too big. (This was working before.)

Try changing the exclude paths from /mnt/user/appdata/foo/bar/ to /mnt/cache/appdata/foo/bar/. This isn't a permanent fix in my opinion, but I believe it will work until the developer can figure it out.

Speaking of that, @KluthR, you're a rockstar. Thanks for the hard work! I am having the same issue and I wanted to see what you thought about it. Also, what is the best way to buy you a few beers?

Edited by Hawkins
corrections
19 minutes ago, Hawkins said:

Try changing the exclude paths from /mnt/user/appdata/foo/bar/ to /mnt/cache/appdata/foo/bar/.

That is not working here, still creates full backups. (All data are on cache only). I tried to switch "Appdata Share (Source):" to /mnt/cache/appdata too but that also didn't help.

Edited by dedi

Morning!

Oof, some things happened during the night - lets start! :)

5 hours ago, Steviewunda said:

I'm getting errors since changing to the KluthR fork (version 2022.12.04). One error is 'not deleting old backup sets of appdata'

This message should also appear in the status tab then. Whenever an error is detected, Appdata Backup will simply not try to delete old backup sets. Thats all. Could you spot any error message inside the status tab?

5 hours ago, Steviewunda said:

and the other is several BTRFS errors

The plugin does not do anything with BTRFS, so I cant say anything about those messages.

5 hours ago, wgstarks said:

I'm also getting an error regarding failure to delete old archives

Just as said: The plugin will simply not delete old archives at the end (its a housekeeping feature). Thats just a notice. The real error must happened before this line (tar creation, tar veriffication or/and docker starts).

5 hours ago, wgstarks said:

I also see that the plugin is creating a backup of my flash drive and libvirt.img even though I have not set a destination for those and therefore should be disabled.

Thats interesting as well. I doesnt touched code here, sure it is disabled/empty?

1 hour ago, dedi said:

It's now ignoring my list of excluded subfolders

Thats even more interesting and I already think I know whats going on!

I - personally - experienced the exclude list as folder list from the perspective from inside the source folder. Because I changed some handling during the "multiple archives" feature, I touched the parts, responsible for the exclusion and only catched that perspective. It seems, that you manually typed in deeper levels of exclusion, is that right? And yes, that case is currently ignored. I never thought someone will use it that way (just because, the UI does not offer it directly). 😁

However, if this confirms to be the case, I will - of course - fix this behavior! (later today)

In future issues, please attach (parts of) the logfile, displayed inside the status tab. Sometimes it gives a few hints.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, KluthR said:

It seems, that you manually typed in deeper levels of exclusion, is that right? And yes, that case is currently ignored. I never thought someone will use it that way (just because, the UI does not offer it directly). 😁

However, if this confirms to be the case, I will - of course - fix this behavior! (later today)

Yes, that is the case. I use it a lot since there is a lot of diskspace hungry stuff that does not need to get backed up. (The UI isn't great to add these, that's why I edit it in notepad.)

Edited by dedi
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, KluthR said:

Okay. As said, I will look into this later this day. Stay tuned!

Maybe I can get the file selector to also offer subfolders (in an even newer release in the future).

Thanks for all your effort!

Just as a thought: adding single folder names in addition to full paths would be a nice solution too that would give a better overview (and maybe is not a lot more work to implement). A bigger/scaling input field is an other idea.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, KluthR said:

This message should also appear in the status tab then. Whenever an error is detected, Appdata Backup will simply not try to delete old backup sets. Thats all. Could you spot any error message inside the status tab?

The only error message I could find was the one I posted from the system log. The error email I got stated that there would be more info in the backup location but I couldn't find anything there. Regardless, after deleting the backhand repeating the process the error does not recur so I think it’s not really an issue.

7 hours ago, KluthR said:

Thats interesting as well. I doesnt touched code here, sure it is disabled/empty?

387900246_Screenshot2022-12-05at7_17_13AM.thumb.png.9707aaf693e986db05c46fa6307cc7eb.png337699859_Screenshot2022-12-05at7_18_01AM.thumb.png.5b012e42fc89644a45d38a5096a6ec6e.png

As you can see in the screenshots no location is set for flash or VM backups and  according to the info there that should disable those backups but if you check the screenshot of this morning’s backup you’ll see a tar file for both. My “excluded” settings are being respected though. Perhaps I can just manually type in the path to exclude for those?

17 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

As you can see in the screenshots no location is set for flash or VM backups and  according to the info there that should disable those backups but if you check the screenshot of this morning’s backup you’ll see a tar file for both.

Are you sure, that not just a folder with same name exists in your source folder?

The mentioned log should be copied to the destination after the run. Addiotionally, you could also take a look into the Backup status tab. Could you do that and post the result?

A bit embarrassing: I cant remember, if the plugin copies it in case of failure as well, Ill check that as well.

Edited by KluthR
  • Squid locked this topic