HELP - Converting from ReiserFX to XFS - should I stop parity sync???

Please start at the bottom of this thread.  I keep changing my quesitons during the process so I just add them to the end of the thread and adjust the title accordingly...

I've copied a 3TB Reiserfs disk (I call it Disk1 in Slot1 of my unraid server) to a new swap disk (6TB XFS)  in Slot12.  

I want to physically move the new new XFS 6TB disc to SLOT1 (keeps things cleaner, neater and easier to manage for me).

Directions for Mirroring say:  10.  Stop the array; we are now going to swap the drive assignments.

11.  Click on Tools, then New Config, then Retain current configuration...

QUESTION:  Do I do anything for step 10 of is that just a statement of what I am about to do???  

When can / do I physically move the newly copied 6TB disk to slot 1?

I take it I should proceed this way:

Stop the array.

Physically move the two drive's positions.

Do the new config tab...  and proceed with the rest of the instructions...

As a side, I can suggest a few places for cleaner verbage to help with noobs like me.

Edited by RickInHouston

I'm making my way through it:

https://wiki.lime-technology.com/File_System_Conversion#Mirror_each_disk_with_rsync.2C_preserving_parity

Mirror Procedure to Convert Drives is the part I am following.  Currently in the 12 - 14 part.  I have stopped the array.  Physically swapped disks 1 and 12 with each other.  Gone back and assigned Slot1 as new 6TB and as XFS.  Assigned Slot12 as old 3TB and as ReiserFS.  I have started the array.  Slot 12 does not say it is unmounted or needs formatting so I need to figure that out and then I should be good to go...

I just need to figure out how to make slot 12 disk (old 3TB drive) as needing formatting.  I can then format to XFS and use it as my new swap drive for another ReiserFS in the array.

Let me see what I did wrong...

Bye, George I think I've got it!

I have never used the 'New Config' tab before so that was all new to me. 

Just in case anyone ever needs information on this.

Stop the array.  Tools > New Cofig > Retain Current configuration > select ALL > Check, Yes, I want to do this, Apply, Done.

I couldn't wrap my head around how parity was in sync with having just copied a drive to another drive.  I found the answer in another post that when you change the file system from ReiserFS to XFS for that old drive so it can now be used as the new swap drive, this switch to a different file system affectively zero's the drive and parity now is in sync as nothing is on the drive.  (So swapping the file system on a drive effectively deletes all contents on that drive."

Hope this helps others...

Edited by RickInHouston
needed to add stuff and said something incorrect

So now that I'm squarely in the middle of changing my unraid array's filesystem from ReiserFX to XFS, I've started looking ahead in the Wiki I am following.

There's a mention at the end about deleting the final drive.  I didn't realize this would be such a big deal step.  It gets me wondering.?.  Why don't I just do all this converting without parity syncing so it will go much faster.  Then, when done, create a fresh new parity???

I have all the movies backed up on disks at the office so if something where to go terribly wrong I could just start over (geez, what a horrible thought).  Should I do this?  Stop partiy and just change file systems, copy the files over for the remaining 5 (3TB) drives I have left and then re-establish parity?  Seems like this would be MUCH faster, not that faster is better...

So I could:

Stop the array.

Mark parity as having 'no device'

Start the array.

Use the rsync script (rsync -avPX /mnt/disk10/ /mnt/disk11/).

Format the old ReiserFS copied drive to XFS and copy another old ReiserFS... again and again.

Then run parity when finished?  This sounds so much easier and faster.  I wonder how much faster a 3TB drive would copy within the array.  With parity syncing it takes about 24 hours for each drive.

I stopped the array.  I unassigned parity. 

AND I did New Config and clicked all data disks (and not parity disk).  Apply and Done.

I got an email notification Parity disk missing.  Parity in error state.

Lastly, when I went back in screen it stated there were four screens running (the rsync copies that had finished).  I couldn't figure out how to get to each one and stop them.  Could you tell me the screen -r??? script to go to each one and then the script to officially stop them?

I'm not feeling as comfortable about this as I had been but I do like the idea of it going faster...

Edited by RickInHouston

Personally I just left the Parity On and just took my time. Making sure files made it from Point A to B with Valid parity just encase something happened was more important than speed. 

I figured it would take days to do all my drives so I just let it take its time. Sure I beat up my Parity drive pretty good, but I planned on swapping it out shorty afterwards anyways. xD

8 hours ago, RickInHouston said:

I stopped the array.  I unassigned parity. 

AND I did New Config and clicked all data disks (and not parity disk).  Apply and Done.

Unassigning parity was all you needed to do, but no harm done.

8 hours ago, RickInHouston said:

I couldn't figure out how to get to each one and stop them.  Could you tell me the screen -r??? script to go to each one and then the script to officially stop them?

Don't use screen but should be easy to google how it works.