Disk with errors (but green) during parity rebuild

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parity build has been completed. So, this confirms that my M1015 controller does not work properly with WD 10TB drives. Not a big deal, but worth sharing back and maybe there will eventually a FW update fixing this? Is it safe to say that this is not an Unraid, but a controller issue?

With regards to the slow speed, I will probably go the way to remove one of my GPUs. I will need to find a way to pass-through my GPU to a VM from primary slot, which I hadn't succeeded in the past. I'll give it another try though and if this succeeds, I'll remove my second GPU and put my controller back to higher speeds.

• 1 month later...

I have some new observations, so pulling this up again.

The issue may not be the 10TB disk per se, but the maximum capacity of the M1015 controller? It may be limited to a certain number of TB? I Unraid has been working for quite some while now without hickups. I now tried to replace a 4TB disk with a 6TB disk (connected to the M1015). I am facing the same issue as I did when replacing the 6TB with a 10TB disk. The upgrade fails every time during parity build. I don't know for sure, but it could likely be related to the M1015. Any thoughts?

Related question: given the upgrade from 4TB to 6TB disk fails everytime, how can I protect the data? Can I just rebuild with a 4TB disk? Or better to start from scratch and then mount the "old" 4TB disk and copy the content back to the array?

4 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

The issue may not be the 10TB disk per se, but the maximum capacity of the M1015 controller? It may be limited to a certain number of TB? I Unraid has been working for quite some while now without hickups. I now tried to replace a 4TB disk with a 6TB disk (connected to the M1015). I am facing the same issue as I did when replacing the 6TB with a 10TB disk. The upgrade fails every time during parity build. I don't know for sure, but it could likely be related to the M1015. Any thoughts?

There's no such limit, if it's not a different problem you may have a bad controller.

5 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

Can I just rebuild with a 4TB disk?

You can try

Unfortunately, it doesn't work to rebuild. The "old" disk was 4TB and the attempt to upgrade to 6TB failed. Now rebuilding with another 4TB gives me "he replacement disk must be as big or bigger than the original.". That's a pity and feels that I am somewhat "stuck". A fresh build should work though and I should then still be able to copy the "old`' disk back manually via UD.

I actually already replaced the controller some time ago, but I am willing to give it another shot to buy a new one. Are the ones on ebay reliable? For example somehting like https://www.ebay.de/itm/IBM-ServeRaid-M1015-SATA-SAS-HBA-Controller-RAID-6Gbps-PCIe-x8-wie-9220-8i/131847466320?hash=item1eb2b8ad50:g:rGMAAOSwQItUICB9

2 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

Unfortunately, it doesn't work to rebuild. The "old" disk was 4TB and the attempt to upgrade to 6TB failed. Now rebuilding with another 4TB gives me "he replacement disk must be as big or bigger than the original.". That's a pity and feels that I am somewhat "stuck". A fresh build should work though and I should then still be able to copy the "old`' disk back manually via UD.

Yes, forgot about that, you'll need same size or larger.

IIRC you have regular dropped disks with your server, it's difficult to say what would help or not since there might be other issues.

Thanks. Yes I do though it feels that it has been a bit better over time.

A few things about the drop-outs:

* 100% of the drop-outs happen on disks on the M1015. Disks drop from different slots, but always only those connected to the M1015

* I recently changed Mobo, CPU and Ram. So, this can be ruled out

* I changed cabling several times, so this can also be ruled out

* I still suspect that the PSU may be an issue, but it is pricey to change. Was also thinking about adding a UPS if this could help.

* I could switch out the M1015, but have heard from "experts" that it is very unlikely to be the issue.

Any advice how I can still trouble-shoot?

Just ordered a new M1015 and will give it a try.

This may indeed be the case that the card broke due to over-heating. This would also explain why it fails at parity rebuild (high load) and historically failed when copying large amount of data between disks.

will keep you posted whether the new card will work better.

i don’t really know how to better cool it, but at least it helps to narrow down the issue. at least for the first few weeks, the new card should work flawless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New care is on its way, so let’s see whether the parity rebuild will work.

One thing that makes me think that it isn’t a a broken hba is that a new parity works with existing capacity, but not when adding larger disks (6->10 or 4->6).

anyhow, we’ll know in a few days once the new hba card arrives.

agree and that’s why i initially thought it’s an incompatibility with 10tb disks or a maximum capacity issue. another explanation could be that all other disks are “green”, while the 10tb disk is “red” and the new 6tb disk is “blue”.

well... nothing i can try now, but just wait until the new m1015 arrives and i’ll test with the new one whether it’s working.

• 3 weeks later...

Hooray!!! The new M1015 seems to have solved this issue. So, the old one must indeed have over-heated and mis-functioning. Thanks for the all the help on this forum!

I don't know how to prevent this issue from happening again in the future besides buying a new case / colling system. But at least I now know what the issue is and it should be fine for a few months... ;-)