Running two Win10 VMs in parallel

I bought a second Win10 license key and have now set up two VMs. Each of them individually runs well. However, I have not succeeded to run them in parallel. The issue is not easy to replicate as it shows differently (freezing, not booting, etc.). What is consistent though is that it doesn't work.

What information would be most helpful to trouble-shoot?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi Steve let’s start with the basics

can you tell us what CPU and how much ram you are using in your server

then what cores and how much ram are you assigning to each VM ?

Also are you using hardware pass through for either or both VM’s?

Edited by Can0nfan

I switched the VM with GPU passthrough to VNC (i.e., no GPU passthrough on both VMs). This did not solve the issue.

One VM runs a OVMF and the other a Seabios.

Any more thoughts? I would like to set up two gaming machine as shown in various videos and cannot even take the first step to have two simple VMs running at the same time. Any help appreciated!

What do you mean 3/6 and 1/2? You should be passing through matched threads. With 6 cores, that would typically be 0/6, 1/7, 2/8, 3/9, etc.

Did they run for a while and then crash or fall? Or the minute you start the second, do they crash?

Do just the VMs crash, or does the whole server come down?

Have you run a memory test?

When I wrote 3/6, I meant 3 cores / 6 threads. To be precise, the first VM has 1/7, 2/8 and 3/9. The second VM has 4/10 and 5/11. 0/6 is kept for Unraid.

Unraid is stil active and not effected by the crash.

The first freezes when I start the second. The second doesn't start (but stays with some form of Windows screen). The second never reaches the Windows, but it varies how "far" it goes in the boot process.

I don't know how to run a memory test. I had assigned more than 6GB of ram though and this was never an issue (when running just one VM).

When you boot unRaid, one of the options is to run a memory test.

Are you trying to pass through the sane devices to each? Like keyboard/mouse or sound?

On the VM unRaid management tab, there is an option to view a log file. Did you look in there for clues.

You should post a diagnostics file.

I found the issue.

It actually works to run both in parallel when I access one over Teamviewer and the other one over RDC.

I earlier tried to access both over RDC (didn't work) or one over RDC and the other one over VNC (also didn't work).

I prefer to use RDC over Teamviewer. Any idea whether it is possible to access both over VNC or both over RDC?