Disabled disk - can I re-enable, and how?

Hi All,

I am running firmware version 6.3.5 and I had a drive get checked with a red x this week. I had just powered the unit on after a move, so I checked and it looks like the drive in question had become unsecured. I secured it and made sure it was plugged in. I have since completed a SMART report and it passed. I've attached the smart report and diagnostics below. By the way, I am pretty new to Unraid, so I apologize in advance for any ignorance.

2 Questions:

1 - Based on the Smart report, am I safe to rebuild the drive?

2 - How do I do this?

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

jarvis-diagnostics-20171112-1858.zip

jarvis-smart-20171115-2034.zip

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, itimpi said:

The SMART report looks fine.   We might be able to tell you more if you post the system's diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools->Diagnostics) covering the period when the drive got disabled.

titan-diagnostics-20201017-1208.zip

All the information on handling disabled drives is here in the online documentation.

Thanks for confirming

attached is the diagnostic

From what i could tell, i started the VM for my son to have some PC time. (then hopped in shower). Apparently VM never started and when i came to check one of the drives had been disabled. Note, the VM is on the cache.

Anyway, don't know if these events are related and i haven't tried relaunching the VM. It was stuck and i had to force quit.

Again, thanks for input!!

Unfortunately those diagnostics are from after a reboot so do not tell us much other than confirm that disk1 has been disabled.    I was hoping you had diagnostics from before the reboot as that would show what lead up to the disk being disabled.

Do the contents of the ‘emulated’ disk1 look oK?   A rebuild will result in exactly what you can currently see on the emulated disk so worth checking as the first step - if not then other recovery options than a rebuild might be better.

so something that is strange to me, is that is has been asking to "format" the Cache drive, which is an nvme. 

It shows as "unmountable disk present" > Cache ...(nvmeOn1)

This problem was concurrent with the message about disk 1 being disabled.

i followed steps to unassign the "disk 1" that had come up as disabled, and have now started the data rebuild process.  

i'm worried about formatting the cache, as it does not have a parity. i think everything is backed up, but i'm not certain i could rebuild it effectively 

attached is the SMART zip for the nvme

i'll let the data rebuild process for now, and maybe it will fix the Cache error. but not certain

just trying to be careful, so thanks for any input

titan-smart-20201017-2059.zip

Edited by strykn
  • 2 months later...

Can anybody explain how to re-enable a disk??

Someone above asked but go no answer.

So how do we re-enable a disk once it's been disabled???

I've been searching this for a while after I had a bad cable a couple of months ago.

Now I'm in a similar situation again.

I've got double parity now and the disk that is disabled is also good (1 year old 0 error).

It has just happened (a physical event).

I just need a way to un-disable it.

It makes no sense.

Last time I had to use "new config" and lose parity and re-import the data.

Now I have double parity but still no way to re-enable the disk without ditching the config and invalidating the parity.

I understand that if a drive falls you need it to behave in this way but why is the no way back even from a bad cable.

Maybe I'm missing something fundamental but I am normally trying to do this sort of bring it online fix from a phone so I may not be seeing something.

As far as I can tell there is no redundancy that actually functions if you want to reuse the same drive that was disabled. (Double parity should be able to tell if one drive has bad data so I see so issue with spinning up a "bad" drive anyway. (Also my drive isn't bad))

Thanks. I didn't spot that.

So now I'll rebuild just so I can upgrade parity 1 then rebuild and upgrade parity 2 then rebuild and swap disk 1 (the one I'm currently rebuilding) then rebuild and repeat working my way through the whole array.

I guess at least I keep parity now. 

I feel like the steps should be, go to settings / vm manager and switch Enable VM's to no, then do same in settings / docker,

Then stop the array,

Then uncheck the drive,

Then start the array,

Then stop the array,

Then re-add drive, start the array (it starts to rebuild)

Then go and re-enable vm's and docker.

(The only difference is the additional steps of stopping libvert and docker before)

If you don't do that then libvert never starts and you'll end up stopping and restarting the array repeatedly trying to get the vm's to come back (even if my vm's and libvert are not part of the array)(I keep libvert and docker on a 2nd cache pool and vm's are passthrough only)

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread but came here from google...I've got a disabled drive and multiple errors, not sure how to proceed. Attached my diagnostics file.

I've got an SSD in my array, been meaning to get rid of it for ages, it was a test thing I was trying yonks ago, just been too lazy to move it out, I don't THINK its related to this issue though, it doesn't appear to be one of the affected drives.

I say drives becaue although Drive 8 is the only one thats coming up as disabled, fix common problems is saying I've also got problems with drives 5, 6 and 7 with the same error:

If the disk has not been disabled, then unRaid has successfully rewritten the contents of the offending sectors back to the hard drive. It would be a good idea to look at the S.M.A.R.T.

I'm waaaaay out of my depth here, any help would be much appreciated...

babs-diagnostics-20210211-1821.zip

10 minutes ago, zapp8rannigan said:

Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread

Always best to start a new one, but since we're here, the problem was the controller:

Feb 11 06:55:01 Babs kernel: ahci 0000:01:00.0: AHCI controller unavailable!

All connected disks become unavailable, Unraid disables the first one to error on write (with single parity), the other will have read errors.

That is a Marvell controller, and we don't recommend those, though not necessarily related to the current issue, try re-seating the controller, power back on and post new diags, note that the disable disk will remain disable.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Always best to start a new one, but since we're here, the problem was the controller:

Feb 11 06:55:01 Babs kernel: ahci 0000:01:00.0: AHCI controller unavailable!

All connected disks become unavailable, Unraid disables the first one to error on write (with single parity), the other will have read errors.

That is a Marvell controller, and we don't recommend those, though not necessarily related to the current issue, try re-seating the controller, power back on and post new diags, note that the disable disk will remain disable.

Sorry still over my head I'm afraid, whats the controller? something on the MB?

OH is it the PCI-E Sata card? thats been in there for yonks

Edited by zapp8rannigan