Disabled disk - can I re-enable, and how?

1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

All disks are back, you can rebuild the disable disk or do a new config and re-sync parity, since the emulated disk is mounting and if contents look correct probably best to just rebuild it:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Troubleshooting#Re-enable_the_drive

Thank you so much for your help!

One more question, If i replace this sata card with something else could you reccommend a brand i should be using?
And will swapping it cause any problems?

1 hour ago, zapp8rannigan said:

One more question, If i replace this sata card with something else could you reccommend a brand i should be using?

Look there for advices : https://forums.unraid.net/topic/102010-recommended-controllers-for-unraid-last-updated-022021/

1 hour ago, zapp8rannigan said:

And will swapping it cause any problems?

No, Unraid identifies drives with their Serial Number .

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi team

I've the same issue a disk has been marked as failed due to bad conexion on an splitter power cable. The splitter has been replaced, and the smart looks fine. But that disk is still in emulated state. 

The link provided by @JorgeB to the troubleshotting wiki does not work as the Re-enable_the_drive section does not exists in the page.

Where can we find that procedure?

Thanks and regards

3 minutes ago, mmgarci30 said:

Hi team

I've the same issue a disk has been marked as failed due to bad conexion on an splitter power cable. The splitter has been replaced, and the smart looks fine. But that disk is still in emulated state. 

The link provided by @JorgeB to the troubleshotting wiki does not work as the Re-enable_the_drive section does not exists in the page.

Where can we find that procedure?

Thanks and regards

I've just found the solution... https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Storage_Management#Rebuilding_a_drive_onto_itself

• 1 month later...

I'm having a similar issue here...have a drive that is now marked as disabled.   I don't think the drive is bad - the issue started after I shut down and was installing another SATA drive.  I have unplugged the new drive - shutdown/restarted - just to get back to the previous state.   How can I re-enble this drive.   This link does not work:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Storage_Management#Rebuilding_a_drive_onto_itself

nor does this link:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Storage_Management#Replacing_disks

Thanks for any help!....

• Like 1

Looks like that is going to work - its about half way done rebuilding it.   Wish there were a simpler way to get rid of that disable status than  having to do this rebuild operation for a drive that I'm 99% sure that has no issue.   Hopefully this is a rare event.  I appreciate the quick help - I'll sleep better knowing that all of my data drives are back to green again :-0

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a disabled 8TB Seagate SMR drive. Been meaning to get rid of my 3 SMR drives for a while because this type of drive isn't the best for array's. A few day's ago it got disabled during parity check. Yesterday a new 14TB WD drive arrived, shucked it and it's preclearing now. Really hope nothing goes to sh*t for the coming week as the preclear only takes 3 days for a single run😱

As soon the preclear is done, the new disk will be adopted by the array and the rebuild can start. Another 1,5 day. Let's hope the SSD won't mess up the rebuild. This one will be removed from the array when the rebuild is complete.

Made me realize I need a hot-swap unit in my server. Got 2 5-bay cages but I need to remove the complete cage in order to swap out a drive wich is a pain in the butt to do. Luckily I keep track of all my drive-locations.

11 hours ago, XisoP said:

I've got a disabled 8TB Seagate SMR drive. 

Seagate.... ^

SMR might not be as bad in an unraid array as it would be in a RAID array (that's my guess anyway)

Unraid is a lot more like single drive desktop use in the way it treats drives from that point of view. (Though I wouldn't want SMR either)

I'd personally not want any Seagate drive. I've got a few shucked 14tb WD's MyBooks and about 15 WD red, blue, green. Mostly RED.

My WD Green 2TB is still going strong and it's over 15 years probably.

My dad had 4 Seagate's die in the same year and they couldn't have been more than 3 years old.

(I've got an 80gb Hitachi drive that still works to) (it's older than dirt)

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Same here, one of my disks seems to have issues. After updating unraid I got the following error

Event: Unraid array errors
Subject: Warning [BLACKPEARL] - array has errors
Description: Array has 1 disk with read errors
Importance: warning

Disk 3 - WDC_WD140EDFZ-11A0VA0_9LGAP9NA (sdd) (errors 2)

Does the smart log indicate that the drive is dead (my understanding of the file makes me think like it's fine)?

Thanks!

WDC_WD140EDFZ-11A0VA0_9LGAP9NA-20230717-1104.txt

Looking at the SMART report the last Extended SMART test failed.  I would suggest re-running it to see if the same thing happens, and if it does the drive should be replaced.

At the moment has the drive been disabled (red 'x') which indicates a write to it has failed?  You should consider posting your system's diagnostics zip file to get more informed feedback.

Did try to do an extended test a while back which failed...

Yes the drive is marked with a red "x" and was unable to run any sort of smart test...

I re-seated the sata cables, booted the array without the disk then restarted the array with the disk.

Currently rebuilding the disk now.

Will launch an extend smart test once it has finished rebuilding.

Cheers

blackpearl-diagnostics-20230718-0946.zip

• 6 months later...