Calling All Graphic Artists: Help Design the Logo for unRAID!

jonp

11 hours ago, backuptruck said:

Here's my rough concept that's a bit overcluttered to show the ideas but I think it could make the basis for a nice logo after some work in refining the elements.

unRAID_logo_concept.png

I accidentally uploaded a vertically scaled image of the logo.  Here is the original, which is too wide, but it looks a little better in some ways.

unRAID_logo_concept_unscaled.png

May be my favorite concept yet. LOVING IT!!!

I think users are getting confused between "logo" and "banner".

But since the two are commonly combined, neither should have tacky slogans attached.

If Limetech wants to develop unRAID as a recognisable brand, the logo should aim to be be independent of the word "unRAID" altogether.

Just my 2 cents. An incentive is needed to get more activity happening here ;) . Free unRAID licenses seems to be the obvious solution, short of paying a graphic artist/s to design it.

5 minutes ago, scytherbladez said:

But since the two are commonly combined, neither should have tacky slogans attached.

If Limetech wants to develop unRAID as a recognisable brand, the logo should aim to be be independent of the word "unRAID" altogether.

Just my 2 cents. An incentive is needed to get more activity happening here ;) . Free unRAID licenses seems to be the obvious solution, short of paying a graphic artist/s to design it.

The main purpose of this thread wasn't to commission a design project, but to get some inspiration for a design project.  After the deadline (Sunday), we will be creating a bid on 99designs for the actual work. Their community of designers will then submit concepts to us to choose from.  When creating the bid, we have to specify things we like or ideas we are fond of.  This thread provided us with some of that.

All of that said, if anyone's work gets recreated in the final design, I can easily see us doing something very nice for the artist. 

We just figured with the loyal and vibrant community we have, some folks might want to take a stab at the creative design work. 

6 minutes ago, jonp said:

The main purpose of this thread wasn't to commission a design project, but to get some inspiration for a design project. 

I just re-read your OP. I missed the part where it said you'd be using a professional for the final artwork.

Parts of my comment are still relevant for your final decision :)

35 minutes ago, scytherbladez said:

Good point.  On my second attempt, I did create a simple logo concept that can stand on its own as an icon for Lime Tech's product.  I think it visually communicates everything about the product:

- it takes the standard representation of a RAID array and 'turns it on its head' with the one platter rising up and smashing convention
- the crack effect can either represent breaking away from the RAID paradigm, or a lightning bolt that supercharges the array
- the platter also clearly refers to the the company as a slice of lime

I can work on making a glossy, colourful render if they like my concept and would like me to develop it further.  I like how it looks in the most simplified form though along with the name.  It would just need some further refinement.  And in case it isn't obvious, I made the 'un' in unRAID look like it's pushing away the word RAID. :)

23 hours ago, Joseph said:

This one's my favorite! :-)

I also agree.  Of all of styles thus far, it really nails down that unRaid is something that you can have some fun with and not have to be an expert to run a VM / docker application, etc.  Everything else is just too "professional" looking

• Like 1
On 12/9/2017 at 10:23 AM, Squid said:

I also agree.  Of all of styles thus far, it really nails down that unRaid is something that you can have some fun with and not have to be an expert to run a VM / docker application, etc.  Everything else is just too "professional" looking

Somewhere I read online an intriguing article about unRAID that was entitled "One Box to Rule Them All" which introduced me to the OS as a solution for my needs. It might be too close to LOTR, but it would be a cool slogan the folks at Lime-Technology to adopt.

Edited by Joseph
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2017 at 4:24 AM, Joseph said:

Somewhere I read online an intriguing article about unRAID that was entitled "One Box to Rule Them All" which introduced me to the OS as a solution for my needs. It might be too close to LOTR, but it would be a cool slogan the folks at Lime-Technology to adopt.

Maybe a slight re-write: "one box that serves all!" 

Another one thought is that I have friends that buy themselves poor in Synology and Qnap boxes. With that thought this could be an idea: "You bring the hardware, unRAID delivers the rest!"

If they are poor I apologize...  But its rather late here in little Denmark. ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 08 February 2018 at 9:05 AM, s_mason16 said:

I used this logo on a drive cage. Hope that's fine. It's my favorite of the submitted logo ideas so far. Here it is. 

20180207_170116.jpg

That's fine by me sir, glad you liked it.

I wonder when the tame designer lime employed is going to come back with their finalised efforts?

And I wonder how many will say "oh no, I preferred ...."   ;-)

On 2/10/2018 at 9:26 PM, sane said:

That's fine by me sir, glad you liked it.

I wonder when the tame designer lime employed is going to come back with their finalised efforts?

And I wonder how many will say "oh no, I preferred ...."   ;-)

Solid BOSS.

I like when my RAID status is is green :)