Calling All Graphic Artists: Help Design the Logo for unRAID!

jonp

11 hours ago, trurl said:

Normally bad manners to comment on spelling, but in this case it is important

Virtualization

I'm in agreement with you, but that's acceptable spelling in British English (not so much in American English) so he's likely from somewhere in the UK.

26 minutes ago, NNate said:

I'm in agreement with you, but that's acceptable spelling in British English (not so much in American English) so he's likely from somewhere in the UK.

Read the word again - it isn't about s or z in the word. It's about the representation of the first character in the alphabet.

3 hours ago, squirrellydw said:

I like the Lime slice and the info below but not the main logo.  Combine the Lime slice and information with the one above this by S mason16 and it would be my favorite

You mean something like this (I changed the green color in "Un" to match the green of the lime peel)?

image.thumb.png.669e1900e457bf940663fdc174dce3c8.png

Here is the original color:

image.png

Edited by Hoopster

3 hours ago, Hoopster said:

You mean something like this (I changed the green color in "Un" to match the green of the lime peel)?

Might I suggest overlapping and interlocking the 'U' and the 'n'  which would create a unique Trademark that should an easily defended as a Trademark as it could not be simply seen as a normal English word...

3 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Might I suggest overlapping and interlocking the 'U' and the 'n'  which would create a unique Trademark that should an easily defended as a Trademark as it could not be simply seen as a normal English word...

This work is not mine.  I just took the two logos that @squirrellydw liked and combined them per his suggestion.  The lime and the tagline text is the work of @IrishFavor. The "unRAID" part of this is the work of @sane. Perhaps he would be inclined to experiment with the interlocking letters as you suggested.

Since Limetech is working with professionals on the final logo, anything we do here is just playing around anyway and not likely to be reflected in the final graphic(s)

Edited by Hoopster

I have been following the thread off-and-on for a while and When I saw this layout, I thought  of some of the Media Production logos that I have been seeing in the Intro to most movies.  Many of them use this type of manipulation  of alphabet letters to create a unique and memorable logo.  I know LimeTech is going to be using a Professional Designer to do the final product but they (evidently) felt they wanted some input from the larger community.  Perhaps, just to simulate their thought processes so that they have some feel for what they do and don't like.  (Plus, it is a free brainstorming session!  Who knows.  Someone here might have just what they are looking for.  ) 

On 2/13/2018 at 3:15 PM, Frank1940 said:

I have been following the thread off-and-on for a while and When I saw this layout, I thought  of some of the Media Production logos that I have been seeing in the Intro to most movies.  Many of them use this type of manipulation  of alphabet letters to create a unique and memorable logo.  I know LimeTech is going to be using a Professional Designer to do the final product but they (evidently) felt they wanted some input from the larger community.  Perhaps, just to simulate their thought processes so that they have some feel for what they do and don't like.  (Plus, it is a free brainstorming session!  Who knows.  Someone here might have just what they are looking for.  ) 

OK.  Here is my very inadequate attempt at it incorporating the work of others:

image.thumb.png.db1f9c75acf06c02e8bc772c3508fffe.png

Edited by Hoopster
  • 2 weeks later...

Comically late to the party, but I'll throw these in here as a very simple concept.

unraiddark.png.9156347a90af11ecd24276104109c45c.png and unraidlight.png.0fa8cd0aa4047a44480118f2659c973f.png

It's just a simple logo that could be used to brand unraid, with the blocks representing parity, it would work at any size, and would be dead easy to render as a vector.  At this point though I'm sure something much better has been designed, :) it just stuck in my head.

• Like 7

As a concept, what about using a Mini-SAS to 4-sata port cable for the "unR" in unRaid; like cursive script lines but each line is part of the cable. Top-left of "u' would be the mini-sas port; line goes down bends to form the curve; the top right of the "u" is one of the Sata-ends. The bundle of 3 sata cables tails out of "u" and starts lower "n" goes up, cruves over and down to form the 'n' and terminates with another sata-port. Last two ends could form the "R." 

Too busy? Anyways just an idea I'll leave here for those with talent to send to trash or exploit and use.

On 12/29/2017 at 12:32 PM, Alphahelix said:

Maybe a slight re-write: "one box that serves all!" 

Another one thought is that I have friends that buy themselves poor in Synology and Qnap boxes. With that thought this could be an idea: "You bring the hardware, unRAID delivers the rest!"

unRAID: Cheaper than Qnap

unRAID: One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them, One OS to bring them all and in the 50TB bind them.

unRAID: More fun than a JBOD array with a failed drive

unRAID: Turning PC's into NAS devices since 2005

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2018 at 11:57 AM, Hoopster said:

Here is the original color:

image.png

I made my own spin on this. Never done anything like it before, but I think it turned out pretty well.

logo2.png

Edited by oklahsam
  • 1 month later...
On 5/18/2018 at 6:20 AM, sane said:

Whatever happened to this?

It's been about 6 months since the original call, but no logo has (obviously at least) appeared. Even graphic designers aren't that slow, so did this get thrown into the 'too hard' pile?

I think the notification method doesn't inform other members till they're quoted, so most will not reply till they check every post they make manually. I'm sure there are a bunch of decent designers out there but this post should be pinned up the forum.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:20 PM, sane said:

Whatever happened to this?

It's been about 6 months since the original call, but no logo has (obviously at least) appeared. Even graphic designers aren't that slow, so did this get thrown into the 'too hard' pile?

Hey, thanks for calling us out on this.  Seriously.  We dropped the ball on providing you guys with feedback and for that, we are truly sorry.  Good news though!  Following this exercise, we did end up contracting with a firm that is helping us finalize a new logo and the work done in this thread has definitely contributed towards that end.  While I think the final product will probably end up looking a bit different from what we've seen here, this definitely helped us figure out what we did and didn't like and guided us toward that end.

That being said, its worth noting that the investment we are making extends far beyond just a logo, and I think you guys will be awfully pleased with the end result once we get there.  We're still probably at least a few months away from revealing the efforts of this project, but we may have a few things to share along the way ;-).

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1