Urgent help (Moving to UnRAID 6.3 from FlexRAID 2.0)

Hello all,

My name is Suraj from India.Recently I decided to move permanently to UnRAID and requested a trial key 10 days back. I have followed all the documentation, guides, videos and enabled various settings/changes in BIOS as recommended.

I want to run a single instance of Windows 10 (VM).I really need help in setting this up. 

I have left unraid to download the latest VirtIO drivers and also tried installing Windows 10/Windows 7 also.

The issue is that I am not able to find the virtual hard drive to continue with the installation of Windows 10.

I was directed by lime technology services team to take the help of the community before taking their help.

Requesting all moderators, expert users as I am running short of time so I would require some urgent support. 

I shall buy the software as soon as things fall into place for my requirement.

Please let me know if you need any more details.

Requirements: NAS/Media drive

Specifications:

ROG Maximus VII Hero

I7 4790k

16GB DDR3 G Skill RAM

3TB x3 WD Red Drives

No cache drives

16GB Cruzer fit running latest stable unraid release

A quick reply.

My ISP does not provide me a Static IP.

Through the router I have reserved an IP to the UnRAID server.

As mentioned in the video, he uses a VNC client which is only available for Mac.

I tried using TightVNC and real VNC but I was not able to connect it.

Could someone help a newbie like me to solve that issue until unraid team addresses this issue.

What are you using for a port number in TightVNC?

I use ports starting with 5900 (the default) so for instance to connect to a VM on my VMServer I use this in TightVNC to connect:

VMServer::5900

I look up the correct port with noVNC built into unRAID and adding 200.  The port number for the same VM above with the built in noVNC is 5700.

Thank you all for your inputs.

I had currently setup VM windows 10 machine.

I installed it successfully including all the drivers.

I had also setup Splashtop streamer and TeamViewer also.

Now I wanted to pass the graphics card, USB, and Sound to the VM and directly boot it into VM.

Unfortunately, I am getting a blank screen on that PC but I am able to access the unraid gui using another PC/Laptop successfully. Unraid is running but VM is not working properly.

I followed the 2 part video guide and it resolved most of my issues but I am stuck with this.

I want to setup permanently unraid gui on boot along with the machine also booting into VM automatically after all the issues are resolved.

The PC running UnRaid is not for gaming or any heavy multitasking but only for general usage like browsing,playing music,microsoft office and general stuff. 

If the VM hardware passthrough is resolved, then I can take care of fine tuning the entire thing and finish the setup.

I am able to successfully into the VM in VNC mode not when graphics card (NVIDIA GT 710) is selected.

If someone could help me remotely it would be really helpful.

ROG Maximus VII Hero

I7 4790k

16GB DDR3 G Skill RAM

NVIDIA GT 710

3TB x3 WD Red Drives

Am I doing something wrong here?

• 2 weeks later...

Requesting all experts

I have come to accept that I cannot pass through the VM without any hiccups. 

I have some requests. I would like to buy unraid plus version (12 device limit) - will not touch this limit in the near future, hence opting for this.

Can I atleast program the unraid to boot into GUI mode automatically. 

When me and my father are out on business trip, the computer will be shut down. Hence would like to unraid GUI so that I can ask my father to also learn.

My requirements are as follows.

1. I switch on pc it boots unraid GUI and VM (currently not able to)

2. VM is without any lag or issues.

3. parity check schedule and other fine tuning I would require help.

It took 9 hours + for partiy to completely finish without any issues.

Is is the same every time? 

I am coming from flexRAID which I was using snapshot raid where only files which had changed would sync in an hour and I would get an email regarding the same.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, Suraj Prabhakar said:

It took 9 hours + for partiy to completely finish without any issues.

Is is the same every time?

I think you are misunderstanding unRAID parity.  Parity sync is a one-time operation to build parity for the first time.  After that parity is updated in real-time - it is updated the very moment you complete a file copy to the array.

11 hours ago, tdallen said:

I think you are misunderstanding unRAID parity.  Parity sync is a one-time operation to build parity for the first time.  After that parity is updated in real-time - it is updated the very moment you complete a file copy to the array.

That's nice to hear. 

Will do the update to boot into GUI Mode. Will keep you all updated.

• 1 year later...

I bought the PLUS version of the Unraid and been happy with it. I have updated it to latest version 6.6.6 and downloaded the latest Official ISO from MS. I have installed and got it up and running. Thanks to many threads and big shout out to Spaceinvader one for the youtube video. I have successfully got the VM to work and install without any hiccups. I am not able to do the GPU Passthrough ( want to passthrough the GTX 970 for the VM.

My hardware Specs:

3x3 TB WD Red

i7 4790k

16 GB G-Skill DDR3 RAM

Asus Strix GTX 970 - GPU 1

Zotac GT 710 2 GB - GPU 2

Seasonic 650W Gold SMPS

NZXT Switch 810 Full Tower

Fractal Design 140mm Fans - 5 No.s

Intel Stock CPU Cooler (Planning to upgrade via air cooling only - dont want a bulky one since it puts weight on the motherboard, AIO I don't want to take a chance)

I have a spare 120 GB Samsung SSD (Want to use it for VM only - No necessity of a cache drive since I don't push files into an array on a daily basis.

Attached Screenshots for Reference

image.thumb.png.913f5dae281da8e2b9d3add19cd30fad.png

have tried all options in PCIe ACS override. but either all of them become separate ( each individual item or else both GPUs become a part of the same group. I am really stuck and want to get the VM up and running.

Requirements of VM - Windows 10 (automatically switching on after switching on UNraid and starting the array)

casual gaming, web browsing and mainly it is in the living room and needs to do HTPC duties.

Downloads I plan to use another PC for the same else the parity will be continuously getting updated. 

ideally, I would also want the VM to download torrents too.

A lot of thoughts in my mind but I need someone to help. I tried going through multiple threads but I couldn't find the solution.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

Suraj

12 hours ago, Suraj Prabhakar said:

image.thumb.png.10f1b2a521e7bef77c533e1f8414ece4.png

image for better understanding.

You may be able to pass the gpu but those groups don't look great. Maybe try moving the card to another slot and see if it improves. You'll have to dump the bios of the card to boot with it. Look on YouTube for a guy named space Invaders. He's very good at explaining unraid gpu pass through and will explain step by step what you must do. You don't need the windows vm to do torrents instead you can use a docker like deluge that can also connect to a vpn to hide your address. On connecting to the vm I use bitvise ssh server which is free for home use and can do remote desktop and such for you after you get some basic permissions and port forwarding. The machine can be set to auto start on the right side of the vm page and so can the array in the settings, disk settings.

I would suggest getting an SSD to pass through to the vm but that might be outside your budget. It will make the vm go much faster and not have to write to the array. You may also want to invest in a cache drive to improve loading of data to the array.

Edited by Jerky_san