My TinyTen mini-server

queeg

If you don't mind trays, IcyDock's 5-in-3 appears to have an easily removable fan:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994028

Queeg can confirm or deny that since he has first hand experience with this one.

Unfortunately they don't list the dimensions.  If you did install it without a fan, you had better have quite a bit of negative pressure in your case to compensate.  You would also have to block up all other vents to force all the air to be sucked in over the hard drives.

I listed the dimensions of the IcyDock back here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=6375.msg62433;topicseen#msg62433

Note that in that picture the mocked up Icy Dock is pushed too far in because it's flush with the metal case not where the bezel would place it.

You can remove the fan.  It should be possible to just hot glue a thin 10mm fan to the back of the rack as a replacement.  That should knock about 1" off the Icy's 8.6" length to about 7.6".  

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tried but the Foxconn case doesn't have room for 2x 5-in-3's + 3-in-2.  The corners are rounded.  It's lacking about 1".

Damn... oh well.  I still prefer the button layout, with everything on the top of the bezel and out of your way.  I'm just wanting that extra 1" to be on the inside, so I can know that 9.6" x 9.6" SM board will fit.  I just think the original Rosewill is going to be a bit too shallow, after seeing all your pics.

I tried but the Foxconn case doesn't have room for 2x 5-in-3's + 3-in-2.  The corners are rounded.  It's lacking about 1".

Damn... oh well.  It still prefer the button layout, with everything on the top of the bezel and out of your way.  I'm just wanting that extra 1" to be on the inside, so I can know that 9.6" x 9.6" SM board will fit.  I just think the original Rosewill is going to be a bit too shallow, after seeing all your pics.

Let's keep looking.  BTW, the extra space from a thick bezel is just the same as internal space...it moves the 5-in-3's forward.

EDIT:  BTW, if anyone has access to the Foxconn TLM566 case in a store we need accurate physical measurements from the bezel.

• 2 weeks later...