1 Data, 1 Parity drive red balled, where to start?

Harro

Looks more like a connection issue, both disks dropped at the same time, but disk1 dropped offline so there's no SMART report, you should reboot, take the opportunity to check connections, especially if both disks share the same mini SAS cable, then check SMART for disk1 and if all looks good rebuild, you can re-sync parity1 at the same time, no point in doing it only after the rebuild.

5 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Looks more like a connection issue, both disks dropped at the same time, but disk1 dropped offline so there's no SMART report, you should reboot, take the opportunity to check connections, especially if both disks share the same mini SAS cable, then check SMART for disk1 and if all looks good rebuild, you can re-sync parity1 at the same time, no point in doing it only after the rebuild.

I checked cables all are good. Disks are on different cables. 

Got a smart report for disk 1. Have unreported errors.. Could this be from dropping off the array?

tower-smart-20171123-0808.zip

On 11/23/2017 at 8:28 AM, johnnie.black said:

It also has pending sectors, so that disk looks bad, strange it took parity down with it.

Run an extended SMART test on disk1, if it fails, and it should, replace it.

Tried running extended smart test but gets interrupted by host reset. I have an extra open slot on another 5x3 cage that I will swap that drive into and try extended test again.

11/24/2017 Update on this:

The one data drive is indeed toast. Replaced with a new 8tb drive and am running a parity sync/Data-rebuild now.

Archived