Formatting Unassigned Device

I'm replacing a 2TB drive with a 4TB drive and would like to keep the 2TB drive in my system as an unassigned drive.  I will be copying the data from the 2TB drive to the 4 and would then like to format the 2TB drive...I think....  I'm just wondering if I need to format the drive with a diff file format or do I just delete all the data off of it once copied and it will be read fine as is as?  I'll be saving temp video files on the drive which will be access via my nvidia shield.

3 minutes ago, DigitalDivide said:

I'm just wondering if I need to format the drive with a diff file format or do I just delete all the data off of it once copied and it will be read fine as is as? 

If it's xfs or btrfs you need to re-format to get a different UUDI, a duplicate UUID won't mount with xfs and you'll get weird results with btrfs.

If it's reiser it's not a problem but no one should still be on reiser.

I don't know why but I always get nervous when replacing a disk.  I'm in the middle of the process and booted up and assigned my new disk as disk 1 which it's replacing.  Below it is says "wrong".  Correct me if I'm...wrong but at this point I just click Start for below right?

Start will start Parity-Sync and/or Data-Rebuild. 
Yes I want to do this

What I meant and did do was after replacing the 2TB drive (disk 1) with a 4TB I ran a rebuild.  Now, I have another 2TB drive (disk 5)that I will be copying it's contents to the new 4TB drive.  

After that is done, I want to remove Disk 5 from the array and use it as an assigned device.  If I'm correct I believe once I unassign the drive (disk 5) from the array, at that point I then need to run a parity check.  Is that correct?

Ok, need just a bit more help...thanks btw for all the help so far.  I unassigned the drive, before starting up do I go to Tools, New Config and create a new one, then do the parity sync?

Oh, one other question.  Can I plug a usb drive into the back of my unraid server's usb and use it as an unassigned drive?

Edited by DigitalDivide
17 minutes ago, DigitalDivide said:

I unassigned the drive, before starting up do I go to Tools, New Config and create a new one, then do the parity sync?

Yes, Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply

Go back to main, all disks except the one you unassigned should be correctly assigned, if yes start the array to begin the parity sync.

19 minutes ago, DigitalDivide said:

Oh, one other question.  Can I plug a usb drive into the back of my unraid server's usb and use it as an unassigned drive?

You can, but using USB disks is not recommended and should be avoided whenever possible, even as unassigned devices.

I started a preclear on my cache drive to see if it fixes the pending sector.  I checked the skip preread and postread...but after 15min, the below is all I see...I can't tell if it's actually doing anything...although the disk is now no longer green under Unassigned Devices...which it was before I clicked preclear

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/script/preclear_disk.sh  --cycles 1 --skip-preread --skip-postread --no-prompt
Edited by DigitalDivide