RamDisk SMB Share?

Create the folder you want anywhere you want (ie: /mnt/myshare, /mnt/disks/myshare, etc)

Then add this section to /config/smb-extra.conf on the flash drive

[NameOfSMBShare]
  path=/path/to/share
	valid users = whoever
	write list = whoever

On boots, NameOfSMBShare will be available (assuming you also create /path/to/share at every boot via the go file)

6 minutes ago, Squid said:

Create the folder you want anywhere you want (ie: /mnt/myshare, /mnt/disks/myshare, etc)

Then add this section to /config/smb-extra.conf on the flash drive

[NameOfSMBShare]
  path=/path/to/share
	valid users = whoever
	write list = whoever

On boots, NameOfSMBShare will be available (assuming you also create /path/to/share at every boot via the go file)

All I need to put in the Go file is the path I created (ie. /mnt/ramdisk)?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
52 minutes ago, Sinister said:

Followed this to a T whenever i try connecting to the share i created im prompted for login credentials even though its a public share. none of my created users are valid even though users panelshows i have read write access to the share

Not following what you're talking about.  This thread is about creating a smb share to something completely outside of unRaid's (and Unassigned Devices) control.  Anything share created with this method will most definitely not appear on the dashboard or in the shares tab.

1 minute ago, Squid said:

Not following what you're talking about.  This thread is about creating a smb share to something completely outside of unRaid's (and Unassigned Devices) control.  Anything share created with this method will most definitely not appear on the dashboard or in the shares tab.

my apologies after rereading several times and getting it right i do see it does not show up in the panel but now even with it in the correct directory i still am prompted for login credentials

On 10/21/2018 at 4:48 PM, Squid said:

Might be better to ask what you're trying to do, as everything outside of /mnt/ is stored in RAM.

IE: if you're trying to have a container access a folder in RAM instead of appdata, then just give it a host path of something like /tmp/containerName/

in this case would mnt/user count as a possible Ram Drive directory if one chooses too ?

2 hours ago, Squid said:

Will have to forgive me as things people assume are obvious are not always obvious to others in light of that I wish to create a ram disk on unraid to test my 10GB network cards as i do not have a NVME drive in either.  so in light of that some questions. the post says  to type this in /config/smb-extra.conf, found that with no issue, next i typed in the provided text going like this name= ramdisk path to share is /tmp/ramdisk valid users= whoever write list = whoever created a folder via krusader in /tmp called ramdisk  edited go file with the path. now does valid user= unraid user account ? or profile from PC you are trying to connect from, is the directory i chose acceptable or is there a better choice that would help me achieve what im trying to do.

10 minutes ago, Sinister said:

in this case would mnt/user count as a possible Ram Drive directory if one chooses too ?

/mnt/user is the user shares. Any folder created there will create a user share, and Unraid will choose a disk for it on the array since it will have default settings.

4 minutes ago, Sinister said:

so then would i create something like mnt/ramdisk ?

If you really want to have it within /mnt, create it somewhere within /mnt/disks (ie: /mnt/disks/ramdisk).  The particular subfolder is pretty much guaranteed that unRaid will never try and touch it.

Thank you and apologies for the confusion so currently my SMB config file is

#unassigned_devices_start
#Unassigned devices share includes
   include = /tmp/unassigned.devices/smb-settings.conf
#unassigned_devices_end

[rootshare]
path = /mnt/user
comment =
browseable = yes
# Public
public = yes
writeable = yes
vfs objects =

[ramdisk]
path = /UNRAID/disks/ramdisk
comment =
browseable = yes
# Public
public = yes
writeable = yes
vfs objects =

when looking in /mnt via krusader no other directories exist in it but when going through my folder titled UNRAID the path exists

krusader.png

krusader 2.png

Edited by Sinister
screenshots
29 minutes ago, Squid said:

In the smb config change /UNRAID/disks/ramdisk to be /mnt/disks/ramdisk

Add this line to your go file (/config/go on the flash drive)

mkdir -p /mnt/disks/ramdisk

Reboot and ramdisk is now a share on the network

that seems to have worked but the last hurdle im facing is the ramdisk size which i cant possibly transfer anything to

ramdisk size.png

15 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

IIRC anything mounted under /mnt/disks/ is limited to 1MB, except actual UD mount points, this was done on purpose, don't use /mnt/disks/ for that.

then any suggestion on what i should use ? at this point im just going crazy trrying to do a single test to figure out whether or not the cards i purchased need to be returned. Dell broadcom 58710