Looking for a way to improve my music experience.

Aran

Ok, right now i have Openelec installed as a VM and i use the Chorus2 webui as a remote to play/stop music from my desktop but i'm looking for 'something else' with more options. 

(English is not my native language so i'ts difficult to explain what i want but i'll do my best)

When i'm behind my desktop i would like to have a program:

• with a decent music library
  • that can stream to kodi VM (that is connected to my receiver)
  • is also available as mobile app
  • use it with unraid (a docker maybe)
  • that doesn't stop playing when closed

About that last request... When i'm done reading/working/searching and shut down my desktop i would like to keep the music playing. So what i'm probably  looking for is a music player with a music library that i can access remotely.

I tried Subsonic but it doesn't really do what i want. (i think)

As a last resort i can always setup a windows or linux VM, passthrough a video card, install winamp, or whatever, on it and use a RDP. Kodi can be installed on that VM as well so i doesn't have to switch the receiver's input all the time.

Anyone else have that problem?

Edited by Aran
But then the audio is coming from your android device no?

I've done it several ways. I've used my Android device to Chromecast it to my Sony surround system with DSub. Bluetooth streaming in the car. You can use most Subsonic apps from the Windows store or Android. Don't know about Apple. I believe there are Kodi plugins.

There is a sonic plugin for kodi. I tried it but it's no what i'm looking for. 

When i'm on my desktop i can stream audio to kodi from several ways, even with the standard WMP. But when i close WMP the music stops (obviously).

I'm looking for a music player on the server side that i can control on the client side. So that the audio is coming from the server. 

We have a 19" rack in the basement with the receiver and unraid server. 

I think there is a misunderstanding here...

There are ton's of remote apps to control kodi but none of them have a decent layout to control the music library like mediamonkey, foobar, wmp, aimp, vlc, winamp, etc...

I use Yatse to control kodi from my smartphone and that's a great app but i need one for a windows (or linux) desktop. Yes, they exist but only have basic controls.

Are there other webui's for kodi like chorus but with a better library?

I bypassed the problem by using WMP on my (already existing) windows VM and RDP to it. So i have access to wmp's music library with all the options and i can shut down my pc without stopping the playback.

• 3 years later...

I use shiomax/jrivermc25 for many years with an app on my Android phone called Gizmo to push tracks to my amp. Great free app (Gizmo, that is). You can manage remotely on a laptop with the same JRiver - multi platform - license.

Inside the application you need to import your library and set up a server. JRiver converts my flacs to wav on the fly. Even in hi-res. Sounds just great!

With JRiver you can manage your collection in any way you can think of.

But for importing i use Tagscanner on my Windows (cough) laptop. After editing, if any, i let it import directly into my collection. JRiver then just picks them up with auto import.

Edited by Whatsinaname