PS3 or PS4 Media Server plugin for Version 6.3.x

JPZ817

5 hours ago, cbr600ds2 said:

Hi Kizer -

I'm thinking of making the jump to Plex.  Only because I want to be able to watch on my ps4 and computers in home (I'm not interested in streaming too much).   My one question is can I stop using third party scrapers to pull metadata for wall papers and such?   

Plex "should" do all that automatically.  I don't use anything to scrap for meta data, fan art or thumb nails. 

I also found that Serviio works with my PS3 and PS4 devices and 2 Roku boxes. You might look at that as well. Serviio is maintained pretty well and there are several good dockers built for it. Universal Media Server works quite well under windows, and I had experience with it on that platform, so I asked for it to be added a couple years back and Sparklyballs was kind enough to build a docker (I'm clueless on how to build dockerized apps), but the docker was predicated on Linux. While UMS does exist for Linux, it really leaves much to be desired.  The windows version is fabulous, waay more features, nice interface - Linux one, not so much - kinda stripped down - it might work but I never got it to be reliable - maybe my server was too weak to run it in a docker, but I can run Serviio just fine.  I have noticed that Serviio is not allowing drive 2 to spin down, suggests to me that it cannot scrape something and it won't "give up" at any point, so watch for that if you try it. I did check in the logs but didn't see anything that jumped out at me. I know it is Serviio because if I stop the docker, drive 2 spins down after a while, followed by Parity.

I tried Plex, lots of guys here love it but I just didn't care for it. It comes down to personal preference and if you want to share outside your network...if you don't care about that (I don't) then the costs for using Plex seem unjustified to me.  You can do the same thing with Serviio for free. If you later decide you want to share outside your network, you can buy a key for Serviio and it supports streaming over the internet ( you get to trial that for the first week, I think?). It is a one-time purchase and then you're good at least until there is a major version release - I don't think there's been a major release in a couple of years. (Somebody correct me if this is inaccurate...)