Server will not boot today....

Hey guys. I have a first generation unraid server. For some reason, the server will not boot today. I checked the bios and the flash drive is the selected primary boot device. Coming out of post, I get the following error message: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device." Sounds like my Flash drive is hosed. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Yes, I did try another slot.  No luck.  I took the drive out and put it in my Vista machine.  Vista would not read the drive...asked if I wanted to format the drive.  I'm not familiar with Linux...so that may be normal.  I don't have another Linux machine to try it in.  I guess I could download a live distribution, boot up the live distro and try it there.  Would that work?

Yes, I did try another slot.  No luck.  I took the drive out and put it in my Vista machine.  Vista would not read the drive...asked if I wanted to format the drive.  I'm not familiar with Linux...so that may be normal.  I don't have another Linux machine to try it in.  I guess I could download a live distribution, boot up the live distro and try it there.  Would that work?

Vista should have been able to read the drive if it was functional.  The first partition on it is a FAT file system. There is a second small partition Vista would not see, but you would see the first partition if it was working.

Time for a new flash drive.    Send Tom an e-mail and he'll let you know how to proceed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I have a first generation unraid server. For some reason, the server will not boot today. I checked the bios and the flash drive is the selected primary boot device. Coming out of post, I get the following error message: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device." Sounds like my Flash drive is hosed. Any ideas?

Thanks.

I am having  similar issue.  I just purchased unraid and I am using the P5LD2-VM Mother Board.  Once everything was together (without the hard drives) it started right up.  Once I hooked two brand new drives to SATA 1 and SATA 2 on the Mother board, then I got the meassage stating, "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device."  Once I received this message I quickly discovered that if I remvoe the newly introduced drives, and reset the bios for the Mother board to default settings and then booted up UnRaid it works fine (not a bad thumbdrive for me). 

What do I need to do to have the drives hooked up and be able to boot up.  Thanks for any help.

Check your boot priority.  Make sure the USB is set to boot first.  Personally, I have all other boot devices disables just so I'm POSITIVE that it won't try to boot off of a hard drive.

I did check the boot priority, but I will go and look at this closer......

When I disconnected the drives and restored to the default setup on the mother board, the thumb drive was showing as the first boot device (and it boots fine in this scenario), but when I hook up the drives and go into the bios setup I cannot find the thumb drive as an option to make it the first boot device.

Here are the options for "First Boot Device" with the (unformated drive/s) connected "1st FLOPPY DRIVE", Hard Drive, "ATAPI CD-ROM", and "Disabled" (notice that I did not mention a thumb drive)

Here are the options for "First Boot Device" with the (unformated drive/s) disconnected "1st FLOPPY DRIVE", "Lexar JD Lightning" , "ATAPI CD-ROM", and "Disabled"

It appears that I do not need to restore to the default Bios, but all I have to do is disconnect the hard drives and the Mother board then adds the thumb drive to the available items to set boot priority to.

Well I figured it out.  I had to go to a separate menu called "Hard Drives" and move the thumb drive to the top of the list, then go to the boot priority list which this time the thumb drive now shows up as a sectable option and boots fine.

Thanks.

Glad you figured it out. 

Most Bios menus want to put the USB boot option as very low priority.  You have to go in and manhandle it sometimes.

That is what I am finding out.  It looks like for every drive I add or remove, I have to go and set the thumb drive back to the first boot device.  I have not seen where I can manually over ride it and stop looking for new boot devices.  I am sure it is there and I will look a little more.