Server Locking up and not wanting to come back up

Rudder2

Good morning folks.  I just had a problem with my unRAID server for the first time in 3 years that required  the reset button pressed which has been getting worse as time goes on..  I tried to access Plex this AM, as I do every AM, and and it didn't work.  I then tried to log in to the WebUI and it didn't work.  I tried from the console GUI straight from the server and it was locked up.  I tried to Telnet in and it sat on waiting for connection for almost an hour before I finally pressed the reset button because I couldn't gracefully shut it down.  As far as I can tell it was running my weekly parity check when it locked up, which usually takes 12 to 14 hours. 

Randomly when the system boots up the 2 newest drives are not recognized and after powering down and back on a time or two they always always comes back up.  It doesn't come up on it's own for the weekly automated reboot.

#1 Can I get to the logs since I have to reset the system to get it back accessible?

#2 How do you gracefully shutdown when the entire system is not responsive?

-I tried the power button momentary press which is programmed to do a graceful shutdown.  It usually beeps twice right after I press it indicating the system is shutting down...It didn't do this and after 10 minutes there was no change in status.

Any information you could give me would be AWESOME but this has been occurring more frequently as time goes on.

I have my system programmed to gracefully reboot it's self every Wednesday AM @ 0430 so it's not an up time problem.  I found that a weekly reboot keeps my server running fast.  After about 8 days or so it gets sluggish which is probably the Windows 10 Steam Game Streaming VM and Plex's constant transcoding I think is to blame.  I believe a computer needs a weekly reboot anyways.

Hi Rudder2, I had the exact same problem this morning for the first time. Everything completely unresponsive (Plex, WebUI). I could ping. SSHd in and after the login it just sat there and wouldn't respond to anything. Power button sent the "The system is going down for system halt NOW!" broadcast message, but it never actually shut down (I waited 10 mins). Had to hard-restart. It's running parity check now.

Browsing the forum, it seems quite a few people had similar problems in the past 24 hours.

I'll turn on my "Troubleshooting mode" too. Let us know if you figure anything out!

2 hours ago, tomahawk1277 said:

Hi Rudder2, I had the exact same problem this morning for the first time. Everything completely unresponsive (Plex, WebUI). I could ping. SSHd in and after the login it just sat there and wouldn't respond to anything. Power button sent the "The system is going down for system halt NOW!" broadcast message, but it never actually shut down (I waited 10 mins). Had to hard-restart. It's running parity check now.

Browsing the forum, it seems quite a few people had similar problems in the past 24 hours.

I'll turn on my "Troubleshooting mode" too. Let us know if you figure anything out!

If possible, it's always a good idea to try to capture a process list of running programs and their state before killing the unit, to see if some critical application has locked up.

56 minutes ago, pwm said:

If possible, it's always a good idea to try to capture a process list of running programs and their state before killing the unit, to see if some critical application has locked up.

Agreed, but as we stated, this was a really bad lockup where SSH and Telnet wouldn’t even respond. 

Also, I saw saw this morning that iOS 11 had some date-related bug for December 2 that caused some phones to crash and reboot. Possibly related? Hopefully. That would mean this was a one-time crash for the affected people. 

I’m also seeing this with my server. I had to hard reboot it, and I’m still unable to get in. 

I noticed that the IP address showing on my server screen when it says tower login: is totally different from what it used to be? It was 192.168.x.x and now it’s 169.254.xxx.xxx.  Using this ip address to login doesn’t work, and neither does tower.local. 

Any ideas would be appreciated, i have ssh and telnet turned off so I can’t use them. 

Stewart