Kernel Panic - not syncing VFS: unable to mount root fs

rh535

I have been running my unraid server since about Feb. 2017 with great success. Much of it thanks to you all. Unfortunately, i can't figure out how to fix this situation. 

I stopped my array and turned off my server to plug it into a new UPS/Surge protector. Ever since i plugged my server into the unit i have gotten this error after trying to boot into the server.

end kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I removed my usb flash drive and checked the drive in Windows 10 and no errors were reported. I also ran a memtest for over 3 hours and no errors.

Any thoughts on how to correct this? 

Edited by rh535
2 hours ago, pwm said:

Windows doesn't check if the USB is bootable - just if it (potentially after a file system repair) seems to be readable.

So as @johnnie.black recommends - regenerate the flash drive or possibly replace it. But take care to make a copy of the configuration first.

5 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Redo your flasdrive or try with a new one just to see if it boots.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm experiencing a kernel panic when UnRaid tries to check the array, about halfway through, so I'm trying to go through the process to backup the flash drive and transfer it's files to a new one.  https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Changing_The_Flash_Device  However, after bringing UnRaid back up and clicking on "Registration Key", I have no button for "Replace Key".  How do I proceed?  I've emailed support while I wait.

"If you want to replace your Registration key with a new key bound to this USB Flash device, click Replace Key below."
Not there.