Jump to content
Can0nfan

is there a way to restart the webgui?

51 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

I occasionally see I have to restart the webgui which appears to be only available by restarting the whole server via command line with "powerdown"

 

but today i noticed the webgui wasnt loading and powerdown wasnt doing anything so I had to do a hard shut down, now parity is being checked. is there any way to restart the webgui without rebooting the whole server?

 

the only thing i could find was from way before 6.3x and doesnt work anymore

 

Restart GUI
/etc/rc.d/rc.nginx restart
/etc/rc.d/rc.nginx reload

Share this post


Link to post

Your are mixing up things :)

WebGUI is not restartable unless you are running unRAID 6.4.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, bonienl said:

Your are mixing up things :)

WebGUI is not restartable unless you are running unRAID 6.4.

the restart command I posted was from unRAID 6.2 i think...

is it back in 6.4? I have two unraid servers my test one is on 6.4 and is stable. my main one is on 6.3.5 and thats the one i need a gui restart command for

 

Just now, bonienl said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

nginx was introduced in unRAID 6.4, all earlier versions run emhttp, which is not restartable.

Share this post


Link to post

Running 6.7.2

 

Started a parity check over night.  I can ssh into the machine, but the webgui is not answering.

 

How to restart from the command line?

Share this post


Link to post

Since you have an ssh connection, be sure to grab a Diagnostics file from the command line before you do any playing around with attempting to restart the GUI.  you can do this by typing    diagnostics    on the command line. 

 

I thought I remember that it was supposed to be restartable when they shifted to nginx but I could not find any directions on how to do it.  I believe you can reboot the server with the command   reboot  

 

IF you want to do a bit of playing around from the command line with trying to restart nginx, I would suggest googling   man nginx   to get the command line parameters.  

Share this post


Link to post

I am having the same issue.  Running the latest build and suddenly after 4 days of running smoothly, I'm getting the "502 Gateway" error when I open the GUI.  Trying to follow this nginx beginners guid and no luck.

I've tried:

1. kill -s QUIT (PID)

2. nginx -s quit

3. nginx -s reload

4. just plain nginx

No luck.  This is the second time this has happened in about 3 weeks.  I really don't want to resort to rebooting and would like to understand this OS more but I'm about to toss up my hands.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Rudeboy42 said:

I am having the same issue.  Running the latest build and suddenly after 4 days of running smoothly, I'm getting the "502 Gateway" error when I open the GUI.  Trying to follow this nginx beginners guid and no luck.

I've tried:

1. kill -s QUIT (PID)

2. nginx -s quit

3. nginx -s reload

4. just plain nginx

No luck.  This is the second time this has happened in about 3 weeks.  I really don't want to resort to rebooting and would like to understand this OS more but I'm about to toss up my hands.

9 out of 10 times, this is a wrong network configuration. As @trurl suggests, post your diagnostics.

Share this post


Link to post

I've started having the exact same issue

happened yesterday, and I couldn't find a way to resolve it so I had to reboot the server

ssh would work, BUT every command I attempted to run would just hang (top /htop /iostat /sar) even though ssh was practically instant

nothing has changed that I'm aware of

 

after the hard reboot, the parity check restarted and was running through the night, sometime between 11:30pm last night and 10:am today the entire unraid froze and was inaccessible.

 

I am attaching the diagnostics after another hard reboot. Can anyone help me determine what the issue may be?

If this is the wrong place to post please advise, thanks folks

 

Also, I took 2 diagnostics files, one before starting the array, and one after just in case there are differences that could lead to what the issue is with stability and the GUI freezing (which may or may not be related)

unRAID_diagnostics_array_down.zip unRAID_diagnostics_array_started.zip

Share this post


Link to post

Here's what I've done since last post:

1. figured out how to view the syslog: "cat /var/log/syslog".  The obvious "connect() to unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock failed" jumped out at me immediately so I focused on that.

2. G.Search turned up several how-to's on /killing/restarting php5-fpm.  nothing I did worked.  Couldn't find anything in the unRaid forums on how to do this in unRaid either except to reboot.

3. tried to restart nginx using this command; "/etc/rc.d/rc.nginx restart", no luck there either.

 

Finally, I hit the panic button.  Tried to do a clean reboot and it just sat there so after 30 minutes I finally just mashed the power button.  Of course, unclean shutdown and parity-check.

 

Next time it happens, I know now to run the "diangnostic" before. 

Share this post


Link to post

Frozen GUI has happened to me with a high degree of regularity since I began using unraid 8+ years ago.  Hasn't happened as much in the last few years, I must say.  But its always been an ongoing issue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Rudeboy42 said:

Here's what I've done since last post:

1. figured out how to view the syslog: "cat /var/log/syslog".  The obvious "connect() to unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock failed" jumped out at me immediately so I focused on that.

2. G.Search turned up several how-to's on /killing/restarting php5-fpm.  nothing I did worked.  Couldn't find anything in the unRaid forums on how to do this in unRaid either except to reboot.

3. tried to restart nginx using this command; "/etc/rc.d/rc.nginx restart", no luck there either.

 

Finally, I hit the panic button.  Tried to do a clean reboot and it just sat there so after 30 minutes I finally just mashed the power button.  Of course, unclean shutdown and parity-check.

 

Next time it happens, I know now to run the "diangnostic" before. 

 

when the gui froze yesterday I also tried restarting nginx and php etc to no avail

I am really hoping someone can help us out here with a diagnosis as to what's actually happening and how we can fix it

My setup does appear to be very fickle and unstable though. it's always needing a reboot and freezing up

Motherboard /CPU /Memory appear to be fine but I am open to suggestions and some evidence :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, 905jay said:

I am attaching the diagnostics after another hard reboot.

Nothing obvious in those diagnostics, though I did notice you still have your downloads share set to cache-prefer. I am guessing you now understand those won't get moved to the array as you currently have it, but you have done it that way intentionally and will deal with it.

 

Diagnostics after reboot isn't likely to tell us much for this problem. Probably the most useful thing would be to get us syslog from just before reboot. The latest versions of Unraid have a Syslog Server feature that will allow you to specify where to save the syslog so it won't be lost on reboot. There are also other alternatives to capture information explained in the "Need Help?" sticky I linked above.

Share this post


Link to post

If you're using the GSATA6/7 ports for your drives, you should move the connectors to SATA ports 0-5 and see if it makes a difference.  Marvel is one of those companies that doesn't particularly care about driver support, and as time goes by their products show more and more just how cheap they actually are.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

thanks all your efforts!

@trurl what do you recommend I use for the downloads share? Cache Only?
I had set it up this way on the advice of a buddy to get me going then i'd figure it all out from there

 

so the webGUI was frozen again, wasn't accessible via ssh.
It turns out that I did set this up to ship it's logs over to a qnap acting as a syslog server so I have a log here I can upload.
 

I attempted to log into a root tty and try to run the diagnostics but no commands run at all, the tty just hangs

 

 

unRAID_messages_file

Edited by 905jay
spelling error

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, 905jay said:

what do you recommend I use for the downloads share? Cache Only?

What do you want the download share to do? Did you read the link I gave in your other thread?

 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/82878-unraid-672-mover-not-working/?do=findComment&comment=768747

 

34 minutes ago, 905jay said:

It turns out that I did set this up to ship it's logs over to a qnap acting as a syslog server so I have a log here I can upload.

syslog finishes with a lot of dumps.

 

Have you done a memtest?

Share this post


Link to post

hey thanks fer getting back to me
I did read your previous post and have since switched it to Cache Yes.

A memtest was done, yes, and it passed. I thought of that myself earlier today and did that when it froze on me this morning.

 

Does anything else pop out at you?

Share this post


Link to post

Try it without plugins or dockers and see if it works that way.

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, trurl said:

Try it without plugins or dockers and see if it works that way.

I would assume that you would mean by this to simply boot up using the 'Safe Mode' option in the boot menu.  

 

To the OP:  This is a test to see if there is a hardware problem or some sort of issue with a plugin or Docker App.  If it works in the Safe Mode, the likelihood of a hardware problem is virtually zero.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

so the issue appeared again overnight, as it has the 3 nights before.

UPS reports no issues

 

I will be out of the house for a while today so I've decided to run the extended memtest, and assuming that passes everything, I will boot the server when I get home into safe mode and attempt to rebuild the parity again (5th time)

 

could there be an issue with the USB flash drive that unRAID boots from perhaps? would that appear in the syslog?

unRAID(5)

Edited by 905jay
added more detail

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, 905jay said:

could there be an issue with the USB flash drive that unRAID boots from perhaps? would that appear in the syslog?

That usually has other symptoms, and problems with flash usually are logged. I didn't notice anything like that in the logs you gave.

Share this post


Link to post

thanks again @trurl

did you happen to see anything they may offer a clue? I'm grabbing at straws at this point

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.