Warning: irq 16: nobody cared found on your server

Gary489

• 3 weeks later...

I have updated the bios and still this issue shows up randomly. I have noticed this issue comes and go's every time i disconnect the VGA cable??? I think this maybe a grounding issue caused by the UPS?? I have got a USB isolator for the ups USB cable. and added a 2nd grounding cable. see if this fixes the issue.

Cant wait for unraid 6.4

Edited by Gary489

5-6 years (unRAID 5 RC)  ago I had the IRQ16 disabled: nobody cared issue.  I tracked it down to switching video inputs on my monitor which was shared by unRAID and my desktop.  Unfortunately, with my MB and BIOS, IRQ 16 was shared with the PCIe card hosting some of the array hard drives.  I could not get this IRQ assignment to change.  BIOS updates, swapping motherboards, etc. did not resolve the issue.  When IRQ 16 was disabled, performance on the PCIe-attached hard drives went in the tank.  It took a reboot to fix it.  My only solution was to attach a dedicated monitor the unRAID server to avoid the input-switching trigger that disabled IRQ 16

Many times, these messages don't mean there is a problem, although they are disconcerting and annoying.  If you have not noticed any performance or functionality issues when the IRQ is disabled, you can likely ignore it. 

I'll admit, I am a bit OCD on issues like this and I hate not knowing why it is happening and how to "fix" it, so, it's hard to ignore sometimes.

• 3 months later...

on a fresh install I also have, randomly, this message in my logs.

after a quick investigation, and at least for me; it seams to be related to my SMBUS

cat /proc/interrupts

16:     100000          0          0          0  IR-IO-APIC   16-fasteoi   i801_smbus

which means is probably related to advance CPU C-States

on my next reboot I'll try to only keep C0 and C1 and keep you in touch ;)

ref: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-cpu-c-states-power-saving-modes/

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry, haven't looked at your diagnostics as I don't really know what I'm looking for.  After @johnnie.black noted that the issue for me was related a USB3 port, I ended up doing maintenance on bad sata cables and I think I switched the connected keyboard & mouse to different usb ports.  Since then, I haven't seen the same notification.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...