file browser in webui

23 minutes ago, PhiPhi said:

@trurl Copying as in duplicating the contents of 1 folder to another in the same server.

OK. Just wanted to make sure you weren't encountering #2 I mentioned in my post above:

On 2/20/2019 at 10:06 AM, trurl said:

The Linux command for Move and Rename are the same, mv. So when you try to move files from one user share to another, Linux will often simply rename the files so they have a different path on the same disk, in violation of any user share settings such as included disks. The workaround for this is to copy from source to destination, so that new files get created following the user share settings, then deleting from the source.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ibasaw said:

+1

krusader is good, but...native in the gui ui will be better ;)

The problem with a web based file manager is getting decent performance.    I have done some work on getting a couple of ones that look good from a functional point of view integrated into the Unraid GUI and although I have technically managed to get them working I have not managed to get acceptable performance on any array that is not relatively trivial in size.   Not sure what it is that causes this performance problem but it does seem to be a consistent pattern.

I would preferably say that this is not a needed feature. From my experience in using web based file explorers for website management (cpanel, etc) the performance is not very good.

The best case would be to use FTP, SMB, etc as they will have much better performance over a web based solution. Not to mention the amount of work that will entail to make the web based version work.

53 minutes ago, Conmyster said:

The best case would be to use FTP, SMB, etc as they will have much better performance over a web based solution. Not to mention the amount of work that will entail to make the web based version work.

For those who want a GUI based file manager that is hosted on Unraid then Dolphin/Krusader docker containers already provide a solution that performs better than a browser based version. 

Edited by itimpi
On 9/11/2019 at 4:57 PM, Conmyster said:

Did not know about Krusader existed...

In which case it would be solved with the docker container...

I so use Krusader and sometimes the performance is really good but inconsistent especially when moving or copying large amounts of data which can take many more hours than for example; copying the same data within a Windows server running on lesser hardware.

Strange when you think about it, Unraid as a storage/NAS OS but doesn't have a reliable fast and full featured file mover.  Sitting at your client unable to close the Krusader tab for 15 hours or close the client machine is far from a good solution. 

15 hours ago, PhiPhi said:

I so use Krusader and sometimes the performance is really good but inconsistent especially when moving or copying large amounts of data which can take many more hours than for example; copying the same data within a Windows server running on lesser hardware.

Strange when you think about it, Unraid as a storage/NAS OS but doesn't have a reliable fast and full featured file mover.  Sitting at your client unable to close the Krusader tab for 15 hours or close the client machine is far from a good solution. 

I mean if you are thinking it to be equivalent to say a Dell storage array, then I can tell you that they don't have file moving facilities. Not to mention you can move/copy files with linux mv and cp respectively.

or there is midnight commander

On 9/16/2019 at 2:07 AM, Conmyster said:

I mean if you are thinking it to be equivalent to say a Dell storage array, then I can tell you that they don't have file moving facilities. Not to mention you can move/copy files with linux mv and cp respectively.

or there is midnight commander

No, I was actually thinking of something that runs like a modern file explorer or at least like the old Windows Total Commander.  

53 minutes ago, PhiPhi said:

I havNo, I was actually thinking of something that runs like a modern file explorer or at least like the old Windows Total Commander.  

That is where the Dolphin/Krusader dockerr can be used.

As I have mentioned earlier in this thread the browser based file managers that give that type of presenation do not seem to be capable of achieving acceptable performance (I have experimented with integrating a couple that are freely available into Unraid)

Edited by itimpi
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2018 at 9:34 PM, Kuusou said:

currently utilizing the Krusader docker

The thing is that Krusader does not respect disk Inclusion and disk Exclusion setup in shares settings.

I.e : in the event where (i) share1 is setup to include only disk1 and (ii) share2 is setup to include only disk2; then if you copy move a file from share1 (on disk1) to share2, Krusader will not move that file to disk2.

Obviously, one would expect that any such file operations performed within the Unraid WebUI do respect disk inclusions and exclusions.

Edited by Opawesome
corrected: "move" instead of "copy"
3 hours ago, Opawesome said:

I.e : in the event where (i) share1 is setup to include only disk1 and (ii) share2 is setup to include only disk2; then if you copy a file from share1 (on disk1) to share2, Krusader will not move that file to disk2.

Actually, copy works as expected, it is moving that contains the surprise. This is just a specific example of the more general problem I outlined earlier in this thread, see item 2 here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/61985-file-browser-in-webui/?do=findComment&comment=723474

3 hours ago, trurl said:

Actually, copy works as expected, it is moving that contains the surprise. This is just a specific example of the more general problem I outlined earlier in this thread, see item 2 here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/61985-file-browser-in-webui/?do=findComment&comment=723474

I indeed did not see this comment but totally agree that it would be great to fix those issues.

On 9/14/2019 at 11:48 PM, PhiPhi said:

Am I missing something? I routinely close my laptop while running large moves with Krusader and take my laptop to work... Reboot it a time or two and then reopen the VNC window for Krusader and see everything either finished or progressing nicely. Why do you think you need to leave it open?

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for the idea. 

.....even something so basic as the ability to RENAME files in the array, would be helpful.

To help protect my server from ransomware, I keep my shares set to prevent even ME from easily changing the files.  And I'm not a fan of Midnight Commander, especially with longer filenames.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2019 at 9:29 AM, Arbadacarba said:

Am I missing something? I routinely close my laptop while running large moves with Krusader and take my laptop to work... Reboot it a time or two and then reopen the VNC window for Krusader and see everything either finished or progressing nicely. Why do you think you need to leave it open?

Thanks for that info, I only closed once and the transfer did not complete. I do a monthly 1TB file copy to USB drive from my syncthing folder so I'll give it another try next month to see what I was doing wrong.

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2019 at 4:06 PM, trurl said:

I am beginning to think this would be a good addition, but for reasons not mentioned on this thread.

It would allow us to prevent 2 surprising results when managing files in Krusader, Midnight Commander, command line, etc.

1. If you mix user shares and disks when moving/copying files, you can actually lose data, because Linux doesn't realize that the source path and the destination path might actually be the same file, and so tries to overwrite what it is trying to read. This is often referred to as the User Share Copy Bug.
  2. The Linux command for Move and Rename are the same, mv. So when you try to move files from one user share to another, Linux will often simply rename the files so they have a different path on the same disk, in violation of any user share settings such as included disks. The workaround for this is to copy from source to destination, so that new files get created following the user share settings, then deleting from the source.

If we had our own file manager, number 1 could be rejected, and number 2 could implement the mentioned workaround.

Of course, this would be a very large undertaking. Maybe some existing source code could be customized.

Can you clarify exactly how this would occur?

I have many shares, i use krusader to move files from \\mnt\user\myshare1 to \\mnt\user\myshare2 , how exactly would the files disappear?

Example, i just made a move from \\mnt\user\myshare1 to \\mnt\user\myshare2

myshare1 is limited to disk1 in my array.

myshare2 is limited to disk2 in my array.

i move the file from myshare1 to myshare2 via krusader and file no longer appears on disk1 on the array, it appears on disk2. i am trying to understand what could go wrong here, it appears to work perfectly fine? what more critera do i have to fulfil to trigger this bug?

Edited by je82
9 minutes ago, je82 said:

Can you clarify exactly how this would occur?

I have many shares, i use krusader to move files from \\mnt\user\myshare1 to \\mnt\user\myshare2 , how exactly would the files disappear?

If you are referring to #1 in the text you quoted, it does not apply to your scenario since you are not mixing disks and user shares. When you might encounter the problem is if you were moving or copying from /mnt/disk1/share1 to /mnt/user/share1 or /mnt/user/share1 to /mnt/disk1/share1.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, BRiT said:

Here is what he said more clearly specified since you didn't pick up on it. They would disappear because of a bug when going from /mnt/diskN/share/file to /mnt/user/share/file. Never mix /mnt/user/ and /mnt/diskN/.

If you stick entirely with /mnt/user/ to /mnt/user/ you are fine.

If you stick entirely with /mnt/diskN/ to /mnt/diskM/ you are fine. 

Thanks! I've limited myself to /mnt/user/* so i should be good then, thanks for the heads up here, appreciated!