Jump to content
Tjlejeune

file browser in webui

64 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, PhiPhi said:

 @trurl Copying as in duplicating the contents of 1 folder to another in the same server.

OK. Just wanted to make sure you weren't encountering #2 I mentioned in my post above:

On 2/20/2019 at 10:06 AM, trurl said:

The Linux command for Move and Rename are the same, mv. So when you try to move files from one user share to another, Linux will often simply rename the files so they have a different path on the same disk, in violation of any user share settings such as included disks. The workaround for this is to copy from source to destination, so that new files get created following the user share settings, then deleting from the source.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ibasaw said:

+1

 

krusader is good, but...native in the gui ui will be better ;)

The problem with a web based file manager is getting decent performance.    I have done some work on getting a couple of ones that look good from a functional point of view integrated into the Unraid GUI and although I have technically managed to get them working I have not managed to get acceptable performance on any array that is not relatively trivial in size.   Not sure what it is that causes this performance problem but it does seem to be a consistent pattern.

Share this post


Link to post

I would preferably say that this is not a needed feature. From my experience in using web based file explorers for website management (cpanel, etc) the performance is not very good.

 

The best case would be to use FTP, SMB, etc as they will have much better performance over a web based solution. Not to mention the amount of work that will entail to make the web based version work.

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, Conmyster said:

The best case would be to use FTP, SMB, etc as they will have much better performance over a web based solution. Not to mention the amount of work that will entail to make the web based version work.

For those who want a GUI based file manager that is hosted on Unraid then Dolphin/Krusader docker containers already provide a solution that performs better than a browser based version. 

Edited by itimpi

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, itimpi said:

For those who want a GUI based file manager that is hosted on Unraid then Docker/Krusader docker containers already provide a solution that performs better than a browser based version. 

Did not know about Krusader existed...

 

In which case it would be solved with the docker container...

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/11/2019 at 4:57 PM, Conmyster said:

Did not know about Krusader existed...

 

In which case it would be solved with the docker container...

I so use Krusader and sometimes the performance is really good but inconsistent especially when moving or copying large amounts of data which can take many more hours than for example; copying the same data within a Windows server running on lesser hardware.

 

Strange when you think about it, Unraid as a storage/NAS OS but doesn't have a reliable fast and full featured file mover.  Sitting at your client unable to close the Krusader tab for 15 hours or close the client machine is far from a good solution. 

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, PhiPhi said:

I so use Krusader and sometimes the performance is really good but inconsistent especially when moving or copying large amounts of data which can take many more hours than for example; copying the same data within a Windows server running on lesser hardware.

 

Strange when you think about it, Unraid as a storage/NAS OS but doesn't have a reliable fast and full featured file mover.  Sitting at your client unable to close the Krusader tab for 15 hours or close the client machine is far from a good solution. 

I mean if you are thinking it to be equivalent to say a Dell storage array, then I can tell you that they don't have file moving facilities. Not to mention you can move/copy files with linux mv and cp respectively.

 

or there is midnight commander

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/16/2019 at 2:07 AM, Conmyster said:

I mean if you are thinking it to be equivalent to say a Dell storage array, then I can tell you that they don't have file moving facilities. Not to mention you can move/copy files with linux mv and cp respectively.

 

or there is midnight commander

No, I was actually thinking of something that runs like a modern file explorer or at least like the old Windows Total Commander.  

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, PhiPhi said:

I havNo, I was actually thinking of something that runs like a modern file explorer or at least like the old Windows Total Commander.  

That is where the Dolphin/Krusader dockerr can be used.

 

As I have mentioned earlier in this thread the browser based file managers that give that type of presenation do not seem to be capable of achieving acceptable performance (I have experimented with integrating a couple that are freely available into Unraid)

Edited by itimpi

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.