How to access private shares?

Hello, I have been using unraid for about 2 years now. I have been the only one needing to access all shares on my network, so i have never needed to create any user profiles (only login as "root") or needed to set the security of any share to anything but public.

I am building an unraid server for my buddy and his family and he will need to create different users and set certain shares to private. I am testing this on my server first, and have created a test profile called "liz" with password set to "password", and have created a share called "Liz Folder" with security set to private.

My issue is when I try to access the Liz Folder, I get a prompt from windows (win10) for credentials. When i enter "liz" and "password" i am still denied access to the folder. What am i missing here to get access to the folder?

Thank you.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=00b562fcac28e727imageproxy.php?img=&key=00b562fcac28e7272017-12-10-13-08-tower.thumb.png.d294aac743f0683c671c100cbb0f5cfe.pngCredentials.thumb.png.34fdfbe3bda090f23a5ee85b053e5e99.png

Edited by chronicvader

You might be experiencing some SMB issues introduced by recent updates of Windows 10.
A few things that seem to solve issues:

Edited by tjb_altf4
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 4:25 PM, chronicvader said:

have created a test profile called "liz" with password set to "password",

I just tried the same thing with the latest Win 10-64 and no problems except I created a user, not a "profile". I would imagine that's what you meant, but thought I'd mention this just in case. 

You might also want to read this thread beginning withe first post and the next dozen or so posts.  

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

There are a couple of gotchas in SMB that most folks are unaware of.

EDIT:  the one about first access is the one which could be biting you in the behind since you are testing a scenario to see if it works.  

On 3/8/2013 at 1:42 PM, limetech said:

But now Windows sees that you already have a connection to the server as user "larry" and it DOES NOT ALLOW multiple connections to the same server via different user names.  This is a well-known limitation/bug in Windows.  Some people get around it, e.g., by connecting to the sever using the IP address in order to fool windows into thinking it's a different server.

Edited by Frank1940
  • Thanks 1