Parity Disk Error... noob needs help.... It happened again

Waterboy77

Hello,

I got a parity disk error and I don't know why or what to do.... total noob so please bear with me

This is a brand new 8tb drive that I did a preclear on... that had no errors...

tower and drive reports attached

I have done nothing since discovering error.... I don't want to make it worse

any assistance greatly appreciated.... thank you

5a3315cba2713_unraiderror.thumb.JPG.c8632fbefa48ed6e3a4350d9af2395b0.JPG

tower-diagnostics-20171214-1721.zip

tower-smart-20171214-1727.zip

58 minutes ago, FreeMan said:

Congrats! That's the best first step you could have taken! Always amazed by the number of people who keep poking the sleeping bear then wonder why they got bitten.

Thanks..... 

I have been trying to read as much as I can.

Just hope having sitting isn't impacting other things.....

The new 8TB parity drive appears to have dropped completely offline.  At some point you're going to have to power down, check cables and connections, and try to get that disk to come back online so we can verify its health.  Let's see if anyone can suggest steps to take before doing that, though.

8 hours ago, tdallen said:

The new 8TB parity drive appears to have dropped completely offline.  At some point you're going to have to power down, check cables and connections, and try to get that disk to come back online so we can verify its health.  Let's see if anyone can suggest steps to take before doing that, though.

is that why the reads and writes are so high?

I really want to get this back up tonight.....

12 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You need to reboot/power cycle so that it comes online and post new diags so there's a SMART report for that disk.

Hi Johnnie. black,

I powered down, pulled drive (hotswap) and re seated, powered up and downloaded the attached SMART report..... 

thoughts / next steps????

EDIT added diag.....

tower-smart-20171215-0658.zip

unraid error 2.JPG

tower-diagnostics-20171215-0703.zip

2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

-unassign parity disk

-start array

-stop array

-reassign parity

-start array to begin parity sync

Thanks johnnie.black,

I will have to try that later as I had to go to work :( and have not set up remote access yet (if you have a link to remote setup that would be great)

Truly appreciate your assistance!!!!!

On 12/15/2017 at 9:39 AM, Waterboy77 said:

if you have a link to remote setup that would be great

Check out the OpenVPN-AS docker. You'll get your device (phone/tablet/PC) connected to your home network from wherever in the world it is and be able to connect to the WebGUI.

However, get your parity issues sorted first. No sense adding complexity until the basics are working properly.

15 minutes ago, FreeMan said:

Check out the OpenVPN-AS docker. You'll get your device (phone/tablet/PC) connected to your home network from wherever in the world it is and be able to connect to the WebGUI.

However, get your parity issues sorted first. No sense adding complexity until the basics are working properly.

Thanks FreeMan

Drives typically drop offline due to bad or loose cabling. Sounds like you are using hot swap cages, which is absolutely the best way to avoid cabling issues long term, but they still require the initial burn, which can require tweaking some of the connections. Once all of the bays are connected and cabling to them well tested, drives dripping offline, even when swapping drives, should exceedingly rare..

But some hot swap bays are better than others. In my experience, the best are the SuperMicro. The other I've used (Rosewill) require a little extra push to firmly attach the drives. Lacking that push, they can behave like they have cabling problems. That may be what happened here based on what you said was the remedy (reinserted the drive in the slot).

Thanks @SSD I suspected the same but am to new at this to be confidant 

Yes I am using a hot swap case. I has been really nice as I have been adding and increasing drive more than I thought I would...... data hoarding is a disease but I do love my movies LOL

I did reseat the drive in question, it seemed tight but who knows.... maybe not quite enough

• Waterboy77 changed the title to Parity Disk Error... noob needs help.... It happened again

Unfortunately, It happened again last night.... all have been running well...

Over the last few days I have been writing a lot of movies to the array and had to add another data drive (about 7 days ago)

I was thinking of doing @johnnie.black procedure above and moving the drive to the last available spot...but I have another 8Tb I am getting ready to install so I will need this spot in the near future. 

Again I will wait to hear from the more knowledgeable first.... but with being on Christmas break we had some movie watching planned...

5a3e7a6be3a77_unraiderror3.thumb.JPG.1c0a25371d271a907a0b6acc4aae511d.JPG

tower-diagnostics-20171223-0844.zip

My brain is leaning toward a physical issue....

Rational being that only the one drive appears to have the issue (upper left in the pictures below)

What I am thinking is that at one point (when powered down) double check all the screws that connect the boards to the case. Maybe its loose on the left side???

My concern is that: 1) it's a dumb idea that could make things worse 2) unseating, tightening and reseating the drives will result in more errors

Any suggestions / advice is welcome

20171223_114317.thumb.jpg.9794204c77963055ff697b7eedaa941c.jpg

20171223_114330.jpg

Archived