Network isolation in unRAID 6.4

bonienl

51 minutes ago, mikey6283 said:

Sir, Thank you for your reply. I have  a TL-SG108E switch which  unraid is connected a so I can create  VLans  on pfsense. would you be able to give me  some pointers or image of your  pfsense/ switch setup, this would be helpful.

Instructions for creating a VLAN in pfsense are here. You’ll need to configure the switch so that traffic with that tag is allowed to the unRAID and cameras. Also need to setup a docker network on unRAID using that VLAN.

IMO, you should probably also create rules on the pfsense to block the VLAN from WAN.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 11:50 PM, wgstarks said:

Instructions for creating a VLAN in pfsense are here. You’ll need to configure the switch so that traffic with that tag is allowed to the unRAID and cameras. Also need to setup a docker network on unRAID using that VLAN.

IMO, you should probably also create rules on the pfsense to block the VLAN from WAN.

Hi  I have been able to create vlan which work with the rules i have setup for my Frigate NVR and cameras, however i am struggling on how  to change the IP address from 

192.1.168.xxx.xx;5000 unraid to the Camvlan say 192.168.xxx.123. I should be able to install the cameras directly on the Camvlan. I assume that i can assign the Frigate NVR 192.168.xxx.xx :5000 to the same Camvlan. 

Any guidance would very much be appreciated.

8 minutes ago, mikey6283 said:

Hi  I have been able to create vlan which work with the rules i have setup for my Frigate NVR and cameras, however i am struggling on how  to change the IP address from 

192.1.168.xxx.xx;5000 unraid to the Camvlan say 192.168.xxx.123. I should be able to install the cameras directly on the Camvlan. I assume that i can assign the Frigate NVR 192.168.xxx.xx :5000 to the same Camvlan. 

Any guidance would very much be appreciated.

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do. But unraid dont need to have an IP on that VLAN. If you dont want it to. If unraid needs to talk to CCTV VLAN, it should be done over the firewall.

As long as the switch port you are connecting the NVR to are configured on the correct vlan, and the device have the correct IP/mask. It should work. A good start is to ping the firewall and se if you get a block in the pfsense log. Then atleast you have a conection to the firewall.

9 hours ago, jowe said:

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do. But unraid dont need to have an IP on that VLAN. If you dont want it to. If unraid needs to talk to CCTV VLAN, it should be done over the firewall.

As long as the switch port you are connecting the NVR to are configured on the correct vlan, and the device have the correct IP/mask. It should work. A good start is to ping the firewall and se if you get a block in the pfsense log. Then atleast you have a conection to the firewall.

Jowe

Thanks for your reply, your advice was spot on , I managed to get everything setup and working . I have been struggling to understand how Pfsense and unRaid work together. I certainly have learnt't something today as a newbie. Thankyou

18 hours ago, mikey6283 said:

Jowe

Thanks for your reply, your advice was spot on , I managed to get everything setup and working . I have been struggling to understand how Pfsense and unRaid work together. I certainly have learnt't something today as a newbie. Thankyou

No problem, just glad i could help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I am not sure, if things changed since this topic was started, but I have currently the issue, that trunk works only if I configure an IP for ALL of the used VLANS in unraid. in exchange for working ICMP I get an instable connection to the unraid server. 

Currently I configured on my DGS-1100 an LACP-Trunk with 2 ports. On the unraid server I assigned an IP to the bridge, as well to the 2 VLAN-interfaces. Maybe I am missing something, but I am not used to, that I HAVE to assign an IP to the bridge. In general the IP can be without IP (like at proxmox) and I give an IP only on the vlan(s) I really need.

With this Switch-Configuration a proxmox was working smooth for years and now i am struggling with such a basic topic - any ideas?

Edited by syntactic-mobilization3954