Toshiba N300 NAS Drive

the newegg reviews look great, but it's just too young of a product to get real long term reliability data. Some of the experienced guys on this forum really swear by HGST. so that's swayed me towards buying those next time I buy disks.

If in your boat, I wouldn't mind buying two of each or something or a few different brands and test them out and find my own favorite. 

2 hours ago, s_mason16 said:

the newegg reviews look great, but it's just too young of a product to get real long term reliability data. Some of the experienced guys on this forum really swear by HGST. so that's swayed me towards buying those next time I buy disks.

If in your boat, I wouldn't mind buying two of each or something or a few different brands and test them out and find my own favorite. 

I've found they all run in cycles.  Seagate drives were great for a long while but then I bought 4 of one drive type that ended up having higher failure rates a year or so in. I've already had the 1st of those 4 fail.  I think I've seen similar occurrences in every manufacturer at one time or another so tend to look at it drive by drive or case by case rather than just getting dedicated to one manufacturer.

That alone may be a good argument for what you are suggesting.  Two of one and two of another.  It was a good price for the Toshiba though.

I just got two of the 8TB N300.  No problems so far, but it has only been about a week.  Idle noise is a bit louder than my WD drives, but access noise is lower and temps are low too.  WAY quieter than Seagate IronWolf which are stupidly loud.

Oddly, the 8TB WD drives run warmer than the N300, despite the WD being Helium and 5400rpm, the Toshibas being normal 7200rpm.

I have one 8TB deployed as parity, its new and performed x2 parity check/build. Temps are normal all my drives (4tb) work around 30-35oc.

Its no noisier than any of my other 7k drives. Parity take 16 hours averaging 138mb/s peaking at 210mb/s when it accesses the second half of the disk.

It was the cheapest at time of purchase and i have x5 Toshiba A300 4tb drives which are around 1year online time each and are running as they should so i see no reason not to place my trust in Toshiba.

Last checked on Wednesday, 20-12-2017, 22:43 (yesterday), finding 0 errors.
Duration: 16 hours, 3 minutes, 25 seconds. Average speed: 138.4 MB/sec

I have one more N300 incoming for data :D

Edited by raidserver