Cheap UPS?

Cheap is not what you want for a UPS, the idea is that if there is a power outage or a surge you want the UPS to protect your equipment and you want it to do a good job. I am not sure what brands are common or popular in the EU, but in North America brands such as APC and Cyberpower are common. I would not recommend going with a cheap UPS you will only regret it when something goes wrong.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheap can go a long way of protecting the computer equipment from electrical damage.

But to get the equipment not just protected but still powered and running after a lightning strike normally adds to the price.

The UPS shouldn't just protect from damaging voltage levels, but should also make sure that the equipment can be safely turned off when the battery runs low.

So a UPS should preferably manage a number of things:

- protect connected equipment from damage

- preferably itself survive lightning strikes and other anomalies

- supply clean power (reducing danger of hung equipment)

- supply real sinus waveform and not some horrible modified sinus that produces extreme overtones on the power cables

- support voltage stepup so the UPS and computer equipment can continue to run on mains even in a brownout situation (not so important anymore with computers with PFC-capable PSU)

- give enough battery time that the majority of power outages can be bridged

- give some form of signal to the computer equipment to allow automatic shutdown before running out of battery power

Cheaper UPS normally have to fail one or more of the above requirements, so it's important to figure out what are "must" requirements.

4 hours ago, nuhll said:

Could u recommand me any cheap UPS for  ~120 Watt, if possible Rack Mountable 19"?

With normal eu plug. :) (in and out) which is compatible to unraids buildin ups support? (via usb?!)

Have you measured your watt load?  Limiting to <100€ pretty much excludes rack mount.

7 minutes ago, nuhll said:

That SMT1500RM2U seem waaaaay overkill (1000€)

Yes, but I wasn't recommending you buy that particular one in your case.  I was just commenting on what I use and why I use it.

I have lot's of devices plus 3 different servers I run off them.

20 minutes ago, nuhll said:

Im not quite sure how do i connect c13? I have a rackmounted power thing with schuko.

The Tripplite has C14 input, 7 C13 outlets, 2 C13 to C14 cables.  I suppose an adapter or stick with the tower units.  Not many options in low capacity rack mount.  From Triplite: UPS Input Connection Description - C14 inlet accepts user-supplied AC power cord with country-specific plug.

Adapter

Edited by unevent
37 minutes ago, nuhll said:

Im not quite sure how do i connect c13? I have a rackmounted power thing with schuko.

BTw the APC doesnt do "good sinus" things (stepped) if u look at review. But i dont know if thats important.

Not really going to get pure sine in that price range for rack.  Stepped/PWM is it.  If you want pure sine then suggest going with one of the smaller tower 'shoebox' units from APC, TrippLite, or CyberPower.

CyberPower CP900EPFCLCD 900VA/540W, 148€

Edited by unevent
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, nuhll said:

BTw the APC doesnt do "good sinus" things (stepped) if u look at review. But i dont know if thats important.

C13/C14 are basically the standard for PC-class power cables.

C14 is the inlet on the majority of computer PSU and on lots of monitors, while C13 is the corresponding connector on the cable.

1 minute ago, nuhll said:

I dont know how this is helping me?! Besides i have now a ups with schuko / Schuko. 

Many UPS comes shipping with a couple of C13/C14 cables so the user just has to connect their devices directly to the UPS. And many UPS may have multiple output zones which is a reason for connecting directly to the UPS instead of through a power strip - some of the zones may be possible to turn off separately and some zones may just have surge protection but not be battery powered.

It's mostly monitors with fixed power cords that are hard to interface with a UPS using C13/C14 connectors and will require an adapter cable.

By the way - it's rather hard to know what "a rackmounted power thing" you mention is, making it very hard to supply good answers. It isn't even obvious if that "rackmounted power thing" is using Schuko male, female or both.

In case it helps some people...  C13 and C14 in this discussion refer to the IEC connectors generally used for AC power inlet and outlet in PCs, monitors, UPSs and similar.  C13 and C14 are specific designations for the connector types, although most will probably just know them as IEC plugs / sockets / inlets / outlets.  

Edited by S80_UK