limetech

threadripper "ugly patch"

92 posts in this topic Last Reply

This link refers to a patched kernel corresponding to 6.4.0-rc17b that has the Threadripper ugly patch.

http://dnld.lime-technology.com.s3.amazonaws.com/next/bzimage

If you want to test if this lets GPU passthrough work correctly with Threadripper:

First, install unRAID OS 6.4.0-rc17b.

Next, from ssh/telnet type something like this:

cd /boot
mv bzimage bzimage-orig
wget http://dnld.lime-technology.com.s3.amazonaws.com/next/bzimage
reboot

To restore previous kernel:

cd /boot
mv bzimage-orig bzimage
reboot

Thank you so much. i had recently made a Threadripper 1950x build using a Gigabyte x399 Aorus and was having the D3 error when starting the windows VM. I was looking into the ugly patch over the weekend but wasn't sure where to start with building a kernel but it seems this has worked at least in my case. I was able to get the VM booted with no issues and gpu passthrough. I also performed a shutdown of the Vm and restarted it and the passthrough still worked without having to do a restart of unraid. I'll do more tests for framerate in the VM over the next couple of days but i can finally start using my machine again.

3 hours ago, kuromoto said:

Thank you so much. i had recently made a Threadripper 1950x build using a Gigabyte x399 Aorus and was having the D3 error when starting the windows VM. I was looking into the ugly patch over the weekend but wasn't sure where to start with building a kernel but it seems this has worked at least in my case. I was able to get the VM booted with no issues and gpu passthrough. I also performed a shutdown of the Vm and restarted it and the passthrough still worked without having to do a restart of unraid. I'll do more tests for framerate in the VM over the next couple of days but i can finally start using my machine again.

You're saying the "ugly patch" works?

5 hours ago, limetech said:

You're saying the "ugly patch" works?

Yes, the new bzimage you linked in the original post with the ugly patch included works. I am now able to boot my windows vm with an Nvidia GTX 760. I was not able to passthrough that card prior to this.

Thank you so much for this!  I've been trying to do this on my own for a while.  It works just fine on my system, 1950x, Zenith Extreme, 1080 GTX, 1060 GTX

Update:

I had efifb attach to some of the 1080's memory, which was throwing a lot of vfio_region_write errors into the log and not allowing the Nvidia drivers to detect the card. I'm not really sure why that would be, but in case it happens to you, the solution (from here) is this:

echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon0/bind
echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon1/bind
echo efi-framebuffer.0 > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/efi-framebuffer/unbind

Edited by Rhynri
Update

Is threadripper also affected by the idle crash issue or is that only for ryzen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Sir! My TR parts are in-bound next week. I'll edit this post with a report.

Just, sincerely wanted to say thanks. I didn't want my first experience of kernel compiling to be this

---------  Begin of report:  ----

Hardware:  ASUS Prime X399-A  Bios: V0403 (current at present date); GTX 1070; 

unRAID 6.4.0-rc17b behavior:  VM pass-through produced no video output; monitor symptoms no video signal. Had to force shutdown VM. unRAID seemed stable; was lazy didn't look at logs.

With "ugly patch" behavior: VM pass-through working correctly.

Personal thoughts: would agree with general forum consensus, proof-of-concept patch works. Time to harass AMD for firmware patch, and enjoy what I have now.

EOF

---------

Edited by Jcloud

Sounds like the ugly duckling has turned into the swan and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Can confirm patch is working for me too.

TR 1950x

Asrock Taichi x399

MSI GTX 970 Gaming as Primary w/ Rom & as Secondary with no Rom

OVMF

The ugly patch doens't work for me but the "workaround" from the same reddit post works.

Asus x399-a

TR 1950x

i have just built a 1950x system with a 108Ti and a 980Ti. i seem to not be able to get any VM to work with pass though, i have tried both without and with the patch and it is not working for me. hope there will be a fully working patch for this soon

9 hours ago, crash987_9 said:

i have just built a 1950x system with a 108Ti and a 980Ti. i seem to not be able to get any VM to work with pass though, i have tried both without and with the patch and it is not working for me. hope there will be a fully working patch for this soon

We have found that the patch works on some, but not all Threadripper platforms, as you have discovered.  In addition, with the patch in place, many non-Threadripper platforms completely fail.  For this reason we cannot continue to produce patched kernels for future releases.

My advice: post your findings in that reddit thread and maybe send email to AMD, though pretty sure anything sent to AMD ends up in a black hole.

On 12/27/2017 at 11:09 PM, crash987_9 said:

Make sure you follow some "general guidelines" of passthrough with nvidia cards in addition to using this patch. I had a few snags until a took a step back and realized nvidia in general is a pain with passthrough as a primary GPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IP-h9IKof0&t=516s

Using the "ugly patch" kernel with Unraid 6.4.0_rc17b with Ryzen 1050x, Asrock X399 Fatal1ty (Bios version 2.0) , GTX970 Strix and LSI HBA (only seems to work in PCI x1 slot) without issue for 48 hours. 

11 hours ago, inonzur said:

LSI HBA (only seems to work in PCI x1 slot)

You don't give any more details but have you read this thread? It might not help your case but then again, it might.

does the link still point to a patched kernel for rc17?

If not, can I please get a link to download it.

My current setup: TR 1950x & Asus ROG Zenith Extreme, I want to passthrough a GTX 980ti. Seems like a few users had success with that setup

1 hour ago, mchamplain said:

does the link still point to a patched kernel for rc17?

If not, can I please get a link to download it.

My current setup: TR 1950x & Asus ROG Zenith Extreme, I want to passthrough a GTX 980ti. Seems like a few users had success with that setup

If you look at the original reddit post, there is an update as of yesterday where some guy wrote a java(!?) user-space app that fixes the bridge.  Maybe some enterprising coder here can rewrite this in C or PHP for unRaid use?

On 12/21/2017 at 4:39 AM, iJumbo said:

The ugly patch doens't work for me but the "workaround" from the same reddit post works.

Asus x399-a

TR 1950x

Is yours the Prime or Strix board? I'm running the Prime, and patch been working for me. Latest bios perhaps? Caught my curiosity is all.

On 12/29/2017 at 12:13 PM, inonzur said:

LSI HBA (only seems to work in PCI x1 slot)

Look in your bios, I think it will be in BOOT, for "Interrupt 19" or "Interrupt signal 19." If it's off change it on, and give your card another try in your other slots.  General background info.

Just, another thing to try or look at, if wish to tweak your system.

Edited by Jcloud
link/reference

It's been working pretty well for a few days now.

Asus Zenith Extreme, 1950x.

I installed unRAID OS 6.4.0-rc17b then replaced the bzimage like explained in the first post.

old radeon hd 6450 gpu for the host (not required but useful for troubleshooting)

Windows 10 VM with dedicated GTX980TI and 7port USB controller passthrough

Now my question, what about updates? Would updating Unraid break my VM with passthrough?

What if I want to try the latest version with the Java hack, is it possible to "rollback" to my current setup if it doesn't work for me?

45 minutes ago, mchamplain said:

Now my question, what about updates? Would updating Unraid break my VM with passthrough?

What if I want to try the latest version with the Java hack, is it possible to "rollback" to my current setup if it doesn't work for me?

Updating will break your passthrough if you have the patched version.  If you want to test the Java version, simply zip up the contents of your thumb drive into a file and store in a safe place.  Then update, install the java hack, then test.  

If you want to rollback, unpack your backup into the thumb drive.  That's what I've done anyway.  Someone will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Edit: Java isn't on unRaid by default.  You'll have to do it yourself.

Edited by Rhynri
Added note on Java

On 1/4/2018 at 11:36 AM, limetech said:

If you look at the original reddit post, there is an update as of yesterday where some guy wrote a java(!?) user-space app that fixes the bridge.  Maybe some enterprising coder here can rewrite this in C or PHP for unRaid use?

If no one else volunteers, I can try my hand at making a C version this week or next.  Unless PHP is preferable? As a side note, I don't use C that often, so there are undoubtably better people on the forum than me.