Parity Sync @ < 20MB/second

teedge77

I have recently replaced my 6TB parity drive with two 8TB drives. The 8TB drives pre-cleared at roughly 185MB/second. 

When I started the parity sync, they started at about 16MB/second and the speed has not changed. I tried canceling and rebooting to see if it would have any effect, it did not.One thing I have considered is that I don't know which cards things are on right now. Could a BUS be overburdened? I am down to three  6TB drives and the two 8TB parity drives now and the speed has not changed. I can't believe that would be too much bandwidth, so I am under the impression something else had gone wrong somewhere.

Is there anything in the logs that provide any insight into why things are going so slowly?

Thanks for any help.

zion-diagnostics-20171220-0858.zip

OK, so I noticed those after I uploaded them and was trying to get new ones when you posted. 

I restarted, closed/reopened the browser I was using and everything looked fine. Then, when I started the array, the messages came back. So, I restarted and used a completely different browser. Again, everything looked fine, until I started the array and the CSRF token errors started again. Is there something wrong with one of the plugins that is causing that?

Here are the new diags with a few CSRF token errors towards the end.

Thanks for the help with this.

zion-diagnostics-20171220-0955.zip

OK, so I see a few of the following errors and I am trying to find the corresponding drives. Being that they are ata9/11/13/14, could it be a controller problem or a loose cable?

Dec 20 10:21:20 ZION kernel: sas: ata14: end_device-1:5: cmd error handler

Edited by teedge77

Nothing jumps out, there were reports of low write performance with those new Seagate SMR drives, but it was during random writes, they should be fast with sequential writes, but only testing with different disks could confirm that, there were also some reports of specific disks having slow performance only during a parity sync, after that they performed normally, IIRC some HGST drives, when the sync finishes see if writes to the array are at normal speed, with and without turbo write.